Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I’d be staggered if it is. Can’t see him walking into this current s**t storm that’s been the last 72 hours.
he's not naive. he'd have to know a few eggs need breaking in order for him to get the role.

Brasher the first domino.
I imagine a review gets announced in the next few days and we're lining up who leads it. Clarkson may be part of it. He'd have been top of list 3 months ago. What's to stop him doing it, then coming in to take the reins as coach

I doubt he just turns North down on Friday. It will be an announcement with us. Suspect Rutten is announced tomorrow & Gia or Cara takes the seat on the weekend.

Why would Clarkson genuinely choose Essendon given what has transpired this week? Can he really be bothered fighting pretty much every part of the football club all the time? The club has a bunch of egotistical and selfish people at almost all levels, from the entitled fans all the way to the top.

It’s far less stressful to coach at North. No coterie people putting pressure, no past players and ex-coaches looking to take you out without any warning, no supporters calling for you to be sacked every time you have a bad loss because he isn’t Essendon, no media circus every week because they lay the blame for the 18 year finals drought on a senior coach that has been there for 1 year, constant overrating the list and delusional expectations by both fans and the media etc.

I believe missing out in Clarkson will lead to real change.

Campbell can **** off
Madden, Wellman, Sheeds, Brasher go from the board making a 7 person board
Dodo can take his jacket and fly away
Mahoney should stay IMO
Viney and RFK IMO would do a great job with the list
Tudor and Truck to be the coaching casualties
reckon a few of those are wishful, but they'd be good moves.

I agree with this. Our list is better (there is a real possibility that JHF wants to leave Norf next week which will have broader implications) and there is that big club thing, Anzac Day, Dreamtime etc. But, maybe the Board stuff puts him off. But, then he had to deal with Kennett so he might think our board will be kids play by comparison. Plus he will be aware the media have overblown everything. There hasnt been a board coup. They made a decision. It may not have been unanimous, and that's fine, but it sure ain't a coup.
he'd largely have a board behind him
Brasher will take a back seat until his tenure is up
I reckon Allen, Madden & Wellman have to go given the horse they backed didn't get up. Sheeds probably goes too. For whatever reason they thought it good to install him, it hasn't paid off. Get a good operator in there. we need all the help we can get.

Why would Clarkson genuinely choose Essendon given what has transpired this week? Can he really be bothered fighting pretty much every part of the football club all the time? The club has a bunch of egotistical and selfish people at almost all levels, from the entitled fans all the way to the top.

It’s far less stressful to coach at North. No coterie people putting pressure, no past players and ex-coaches looking to take you out without any warning for an “Essendon person”, no supporters calling for you to be sacked every time you have a bad loss because he isn’t Essendon, no media circus every week because they lay the blame for the 18 year finals drought on a senior coach that has been there for 1 year, constant overrating the list and delusional expectations by both fans and the media etc.

its an interesting notion.

The board split on Rutten v Clarkson. If it's neither, then they really have to then think wtf they do next.
which should prompt a search.

reckon a few of those are wishful, but they'd be good moves.

he'd largely have a board behind him
Brasher will take a back seat until his tenure is up
I reckon Allen, Madden & Wellman have to go given the horse they backed didn't get up. Sheeds probably goes too. For whatever reason they thought it good to install him, it hasn't paid off. Get a good operator in there. we need all the help we can get.
Sheedy is there for one reason: he is almost impossible not to get elected.

So either they:
  • have him on the board and try to utilise him as best they can, protect their own interests by putting him in the elected seats, or
  • let him free in the world and someone comes along with a board spill and have Sheedy as the face of their ticket.

Sheedy is there for one reason: he is almost impossible not to get elected.

So either they:
  • have him on the board and try to utilise him as best they can, protect their own interests by putting him in the elected seats, or
  • let him free in the world and someone comes along with a board spill and have Sheedy as the face of their ticket.
should be a reverse barometer.
Everytime he makes the board, we external review the joint.

its an interesting notion.

The board split on Rutten v Clarkson. If it's neither, then they really have to then think wtf they do next.
which should prompt a search.
Unless it’s not a split on Rutten vs Clarkson

And it’s a split on Rutten vs Clarkson vs another candidate.

Sheedy was reportedly not a supporter of Rutten. Nor is he apparently a supporter of Clarkson. Leaves a third option.

Which is a complete mess.

Unless it’s not a split on Rutten vs Clarkson

And it’s a split on Rutten vs Clarkson vs another candidate.

Sheedy was reportedly not a supporter of Rutten. Nor is he apparently a supporter of Clarkson. Leaves a third option.

Which is a complete mess.
or just a search rather than picking a name and chasing that.

Surely there's nothing in this Hird talk. Please tell me there's nothing.
I don't particularly want Clarkson but if Hird comes back I'm done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this. Our list is better (there is a real possibility that JHF wants to leave Norf next week which will have broader implications) and there is that big club thing, Anzac Day, Dreamtime etc. But, maybe the Board stuff puts him off. But, then he had to deal with Kennett so he might think our board will be kids play by comparison. Plus he will be aware the media have overblown everything. There hasnt been a board coup. They made a decision. It may not have been unanimous, and that's fine, but it sure ain't a coup.
He’ll think he can handle the board

It’s far less stressful to coach at North. No coterie people putting pressure, no past players and ex-coaches looking to take you out without any warning, no supporters calling for you to be sacked every time you have a bad loss because he isn’t Essendon, no media circus every week because they lay the blame for the 18 year finals drought on a senior coach that has been there for 1 year, constant overrating the list and delusional expectations by both fans and the media etc.

Who knows how long this has been going on. In the weeks leading up to this week, those people dealing with him may have said that there will be some serious fallout and they’re already all on the same page just waiting for it to pass.

I’d have zero issue with Hird being coach (I think he is a good coach) if we got rid of all the issues in our club, went through an external review and proper coach hiring process that resulted in Hird being hired. But we all know that won’t be the case.

Ultimately I’d prefer to stick with Rutten and trade out all senior players who aren’t buying his plan but we also know that won’t happen either.

Clarkson is appealing to me now not because of his coaching, but because he’s more likely to be able to clear out the issues in our hierarchy than anyone else.

Basically for me:

Clarkson - renew the membership
Some sort of actual recruitment process - renew the membership
Rutten, stay the course - no renewal
Hird - renounce everything
Buckley - seppuku
Sheeds - seppuku + immolation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back