Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I don't think they did though.

Do you think the club expected no-one to read an email if they sent it out 10 mins before the game? I was actually more inclined to read it because I was engaged pre-game and saw the club had sent an email so read it. Normally I just ignore most club communication.
🤷‍♀️ For what it’s worth the journos all got an email about it too, at 8.26pm yesterday.

DOROTHY’S DEFECTION

After the furore surrounding Collingwood’s appointment of Dr Bridie O’Donnell – who had previously posted a photo of herself wearing a Western Bulldogs jumper – to the Magpies’ board, Essendon made sure they got on the front foot on Sunday when they announced the appointment of former AFL executive Dorothy Hisgrove as a Bombers director. Hisgrove – who fills the casual vacancy left by former Dons president Lindsay Tanner – had in fact been a Collingwood supporter, a fact about which current Bombers president Paul Brasher was unapologetic in a statement on the club’s website. “Dorothy will bring a diversity of perspective different to those of the other board members, all of whom have been lifelong, passionate Essendon supporters. What Dorothy will have in common with her fellow board members is a total commitment to Essendon success,” Brasher said. Essendon also made sure to spell out that Hisgrove is a member of the club and therefore eligible to join the board.

We got it before the press release. Nice touch.
And after the club website. They’ve timed it well so that the journos see it after they’ve written their weekend reports, the fans see it before the game so they get distracted and don’t have time to comment on it, and the club website so that it’s off the front page within 2 hours as game news comes in.

But if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy I’m not gonna argue with ya.

And after the club website. They’ve timed it well so that the journos see it after they’ve written their weekend reports, the fans see it before the game so they get distracted and don’t have time to comment on it, and the club website so that it’s off the front page within 2 hours as game news comes in.

But if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy I’m not gonna argue with ya.
Yet here we are commenting on it.🤷‍♂️ And you linked a post game report that mentions it, which incidentally claims to have been updated 8.19pm, did we slip the release to the Age I wonder if the media got it 8.26pm or maybe they used our member release. 🤔

Either way timed poorly to bury it if that was the intention. Which I still doubt it was.

Not sure former Collingwood supporter is the headline here.

Edit: Also nobody actually tries to bury things by releasing them at a certain time anymore. All organisations realise you release something controversial it's going to make waves.

Ha, I don’t know what the go was here, but they absolutely do. I see it first hand on a weekly basis.

Ha, I don’t know what the go was here, but they absolutely do. I see it first hand on a weekly basis.
To each their own Bunk but in my experience no organisation thinks that works still. Or if they do they're stuck in the 90s.

With social and online media, long gone are the days of releasing something minutes after the paper has gone to print or after the 7pm news has aired to avoid scrutiny.

It simply doesn't work in the 21st century.

Yet here we are commenting on it.🤷‍♂️ And you linked a post game report that mentions it, which incidentally claims to have been updated 8.19pm, did we slip the release to the Age I wonder if the media got it 8.26pm or maybe they used our member release. 🤔

Either way timed poorly to bury it if that was the intention. Which I still doubt it was.
Yeah, because I saw it last night, flagged it, and deliberately waited until Monday morning to post it on the forum, after all the player threads had been bumped. I did wonder if someone else might’ve posted it sooner than that, but no one did. Also got a little reminder when I logged into Twitter this morning.

Cherny might have an Essendon membership or have checked the club website 🤷‍♀️ Just because the club waited to send the email doesn’t mean no one was paying attention- but it seems most of them weren’t. Cherny is the only one to mention it that I’ve seen so far.

To each their own Bunk but in my experience no organisation thinks that works still. Or if they do they're stuck in the 90s.

With social and online media, long gone are the days of releasing something minutes after the paper has gone to print or after the 7pm news has aired to avoid scrutiny.

Organisations absolutely try it on. Adelaide are the clubhouse leader in that regard.

It's not just around the papers or the TV news, most manipulation comes in timing releases when they know the news will get lost among something else that's happening..

I don't know what the go in this particular situation was, but it's hard to say that releasing something like this on a gameday isn't cynical timing. I'd bet my left nut that it was ready for release on Friday.

But if you want to talk stuck in the 90s, it's actually insane how big an influence printed newspapers and the 6pm TV news still have in Australia. The topics on the front of newspapers often dictate the news cycle throughout the day through repeated discussion on radio, TV and online. We have an aging population who are not deep-divers in terms of news. And don't even get me started on our major media corps. Still, in 2021, online is treated as an afterthought by the likes of News and Nine. And it's worth remembering that large swathes of the population don't go beyond those outlets for news.

Hisgrove joins Board of Directors

I’m sure she’s fine, but this announcement, certain parts of it and the timing (4.29pm, 11 minutes before the flogging of Norf began) as a whole seems off to me. Trying to bury it and scared of backlash?
Sounds it. I don't mind the selection though. The club's perspective of the club's choice means she's a great choice! Cartier watches for all!

Seriously, she sounds alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The federal government generate headlines with policy announcements or outrageous claims as a matter of course if it helps them distract attention from anything damning. Controlling eyes, brains, conversations and clicks is absolutely what the game is about.

But if you want to talk stuck in the 90s, it's actually insane how big an influence printed newspapers and the 6pm TV news still have in Australia. The topics on the front of newspapers often dictate the news cycle throughout the day through repeated discussion on radio, TV and online. We have an aging population who are not deep-divers in terms of news. And don't even get me started on our major media corps. Still, in 2021, online is treated as an afterthought by the likes of News and Nine. And it's worth remembering that large swathes of the population don't go beyond those outlets for news.
Apparently the radio stations have one of each of the local/national rags on the bench in the morning. I reckon most people hear the news on the way to work via that method and probably don't go any deeper unless it pops up on Facebook/Twitter/BigFooty in amongst the memes, hashtags and group posts. That said, the newspapers still employ the majority of quality journalists – there aren't too many freelancers working for online outlets, and if they do it doesn't get seen. So it's not totally surprising that most of the news cycle is generated by the rags (even if most people never see a hard copy in their day to day lives).

We'll have to see how she goes over time but otherwise I really like this appointment.

The old boys club at the more senior levels has been something that has been giving me the shits since I started paying attention and anything to shake that up a bit can only be a good thing.

We'll have to see how she goes over time but otherwise I really like this appointment.

The old boys club at the more senior levels has been something that has been giving me the shits since I started paying attention and anything to shake that up a bit can only be a good thing.
Not saying it's the old boys club and she's not coming from a lifelong Essendon supporting background or a coterie group with deep pockets – but she does have a PwC connection which I suspect is the link to Brasher, so it seems rather like she might've been headhunted/nepotism/something.

Not saying it's the old boys club and she's not coming from a lifelong Essendon supporting background or a coterie group with deep pockets – but she does have a PwC connection which I suspect is the link to Brasher, so it seems rather like she might've been headhunted/nepotism/something.
Better than the rabble voting in any past player who cares to nominate for the board

I'm not bothered by Hisgrove being a Collingwood supporter for two reasons, one she hasn't tried to hide it and second unlike the women on the Collingwood board there is no evidence of negativity towards Essendon.

While i didn't go right through her twitter feed but its pretty much professional with the only footy stuff relating to women's footy.

So if she's not a supporter of the club, and it's not a paid position, then what does she get out of it?
It looks great on the resume

Remove this Banner Ad

Back