Mod. Notice BOARD RESTRUCTURING: all members please read

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
As part of my new role as Spec Mod on the board, I want to introduce change. Help clean up the board and reduce it to its halcyon days. Make things easier to find and read.

Firstly a big thanks must be given to TheDoctor11, he has been tireless in helping get the board to where we are today. Unfortunately due to work, uni and other things, Doc hasn't been as active as he would have liked which is why I'm taking on this responsibility now.

Here's a few of my ideas.
  • Too many times I've seen people ask questions that could have been answered a lot easier. Promote the Q&A thread a bit more.
  • Better organisation around the boards. The 'New Jumpers for 2013' thread is currently a 6,000-reply 'catch-all' type thread where basically all jumper discussion goes. I will introduce round by round threads where we make our jumper predictions for each week, talk about potential clashes each week, how jumpers looked on-field etc.
  • Again this pertains to the 'New Jumpers' thread but better use of the 'News' prefix by creating more threads specific to jumper releases. A lot of them get lost in the big thread and people end up posting them twice, sometimes three times.
  • Weekly (or fortnightly) 'Blast from the Past' threads, where I post an image of an old jumper and we all review it, say what's good and bad about it and has it stood the test of time.
  • Slowly going back and adding the 'Poll' prefix to all comp polls.
  • Trying to make the board friendly for all visitors, and in turn encouraging FGD users to not insult main board users just because they don't have as wide an appreciation of jumpers as we do. There's been a few instances of this in the last few weeks and it doesn't reflect well.
The main issue at hand is the introduction of these new Round by Round threads. Enjoy them, have fun with them, post plenty in them. The more photos, the better. The more predictions, the better. I plan to post each round's thread on the Wednesday before the opening match to allow for predictions and post-round discussion. All this will result in the locking of the current "New jumpers for 2013" thread.

If anyone has any queries or suggestions, please post them here. This is, of course, the people's board and should remain that way.

You can't tell me what to do, you're only a spec mod. Let me know when your account name is in navy blue.

Just joking mate <3 Sounds very good, can't wait for the board to be as good as it once was.

"Blast from the Past" sounds great.
In the past I've seen people suggest a sub-forum for competitions only
It would be good since, it's on top of the page and it'll prevent mixing in with the other unrelated topics around the threads
Thoughts?
gibbsychange-jpg.21736

In the past I've seen people suggest a sub-forum for competitions only
It would be good since, it's on top of the page and it'll prevent mixing in with the other unrelated topics around the threads
Thoughts?

Thanks for giving it a read. We used to have a competition sub-forum in the past actually, after a groundswell of support for the concept. But it was found that it actually decreased interest in the competitions because it was slightly hidden from view and required an extra click, it wasn't getting the same traffic (crazy I know).

I'd be open to trying it again but not before a lot of debate, pros/cons etc.

EDIT: Here's some early feedback a few months after the introduction of the sub-board.

And another one a year later.

All sounds good Gibbs, but,

NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM.

NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM, NO COMPETITION SUB FORUM.

Cool. I might do a poll in the next couple of days, gauge some interest, but I'd be leaning towards no sub forum right now as well. You were around to see what it did to the activity, it wasn't great.

I'm just interested, but why is it you don't want a competition sub-forum?

• Trying to make the board friendly for all visitors, and in turn encouraging FGD users to not insult main board users just because they don't have as wide an appreciation of jumpers as we do. There's been a few instances of this in the last few weeks and it doesn't reflect well.

I like this. I've made an active effort to be welcoming to new people arriving on this board. Although other times I'm a bit grumpy. ;)

Also, while I'm here, is it worth creating a thread for sponsors discussion? Like, discussing why the Renault logo on the back of Port's home guernsey ought to have a yellow background so it stands out more, new sponsor rumours, etc. There's a sponsor guide thread (which I'm pretty sure you made) but not sure if that's a good place for it.

I like this. I've made an active effort to be welcoming to new people arriving on this board. Although other times I'm a bit grumpy. ;)

Also, while I'm here, is it worth creating a thread for sponsors discussion? Like, discussing why the Renault logo on the back of Port's home guernsey ought to have a yellow background so it stands out more, new sponsor rumours, etc. There's a sponsor guide thread (which I'm pretty sure you made) but not sure if that's a good place for it.

Please, go ahead. When I lock the "New jumpers for 2013" thread today, I'll need to have other threads that cover whatever used to be posted in there.

Sponsors Discussion? Check (once you create it)
In-Game Discussion? Check (Rd-by-Rd threads)
State League Discussion? Check (Bump State League thread)
Sugar daddy jumpers and any other new jumpers? Check (Create new thread using "News" prefix)

Will create it soon. :thumbsu:

I think we also need three main workshop threads:
- Create an Aussie Rules Guernsey (put a link to tutorial directory in OP for people new to the board maybe and also maybe templates). Post random designs you've decided to do. Feedback, advice, etc would be highly encouraged.
- Create another Sport's Uniform (again, tutorial links)
- Create a logo (tutorial links in op)

i know we already have these but should start fresh and structured ya know.

I also suggest a "new to this board?" welcoming thread, with links to FAQ, tutorials, etc.

I remember when I first came to this board it was absolutely full of competitions and had little to no workshops. I think it's great now that there is more balance between the two and it should stay that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsy where do I post new jumpers for 2013?

I checked for white text this time. There was none. :p

Well it depends. If it's a new jumper or design, make a thread about it with the news prefix. If it's only minor (like the Kokoda writing) and is related to the upcoming round, just post it in the round-by-round thread.

Well it depends. If it's a new jumper or design, make a thread about it with the news prefix. If it's only minor (like the Kokoda writing) and is related to the upcoming round, just post it in the round-by-round thread.
Ok, sure thanks.

IMO any discussion regarding new jumpers should be in the new jumpers thread, other discussion about the upcoming round jumpers in the round-by-round thread.

IMO any discussion regarding new jumpers should be in the new jumpers thread, other discussion about the upcoming round jumpers in the round-by-round thread.

My idea is for new jumpers to have their own threads (we could have one group thread about sugar-daddy jumpers though)

That's alright in theory, but it may clog up the whole board a bit too much...

There will likely still be a "new jumpers for 2014" thread from the end of this season right up til the start of next season. Anything "new" would go in there, during the summer months.

There aren't that many new jumpers that are released mid-season that aren't sugar daddy jumpers/names jumpers. If we have one thread for all of them, and separate threads for other new jumpers (e.g Black 319) I would argue that there would be minimal clutter, but it would be a lot easier for visitors and members to find info on everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back