Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Last edited:

Deeluded

Rookie
Oct 31, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apologies for lurking on the Bombers board. Came to work out what was happening to Mahoney in all of this. As a dees supporter I always thought he was a very good operator but also a good person with integrity. I heard he was Peter Jackson's preferred candidate to replace him as CEO but when Jackson left our then President (Bartlett) didn't like Jackson so wanted his own man in (Pert). Pert's done a good job. But like Jackson and Roos, Mahoney was one of the key architects in rebuilding our club from ground zero. While many Melbourne supporters didn't like the way he worked with other teams in the trade period... thinking he was too nice... He got the deals done! In hindsight he was behind so many shrewd trades - pretty sure us getting Lever, May, Oliver, Jackson, Pickett etc had his finger prints all over it. And i think it was unfair that he didn't get acknowledged last year when we finally won the flag - because he was very important in that.

Have no idea what he's done at Essendon, but I would have thought he's the sort of person you would want to stick around right now. Surely if Peter Jackson trusts him, then the EFC should too.

Don't normally have much love for Essendon but this sort of turmoil is awful for supporters and you've been through enough. Hope you can turn it around quickly.

Apologies for lurking on the Bombers board. Came to work out what was happening to Mahoney in all of this. As a dees supporter I always thought he was a very good operator but also a good person with integrity. I heard he was Peter Jackson's preferred candidate to replace him as CEO but when Jackson left our then President (Bartlett) didn't like Jackson so wanted his own man in (Pert). Pert's done a good job. But like Jackson and Roos, Mahoney was one of the key architects in rebuilding our club from ground zero. While many Melbourne supporters didn't like the way he worked with other teams in the trade period... thinking he was too nice... He got the deals done! In hindsight he was behind so many shrewd trades - pretty sure us getting Lever, May, Oliver, Jackson, Pickett etc had his finger prints all over it. And i think it was unfair that he didn't get acknowledged last year when we finally won the flag - because he was very important in that.

Have no idea what he's done at Essendon, but I would have thought he's the sort of person you would want to stick around right now. Surely if Peter Jackson trusts him, then the EFC should too.

Don't normally have much love for Essendon but this sort of turmoil is awful for supporters and you've been through enough. Hope you can turn it around quickly.
His job is assured, same as Campbell, the executive, etc. because they’re contracted.

Rutten was also contracted.

He butts heads with Dodoro which is probably a good thing, but Dodoro is a survivor, which doesn’t bode well for Mahoney if they can’t co-exist.

Some people want to get rid of him… I assume they are Dodoro allies (which is to say probable Sheedy allies on a pro-Hird agenda).

Time will tell.

Zephyr Effekt

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
What I still don’t quite get after hearing Clarkson’s reasons behind his decision is what Clarkson didn’t just put an end to the chase on the Tuesday when Barham first called? What was there to consider? Especially when he already said a 3-4 day diligence was not enough. Yes I know he was off to Adelaide on Wed and Thurs but why not just end it Tuesdayon that first call?

All Barham needed to do was pick up the phone and ask Clarkson if he was open to delaying his decision for 2-4 weeks, that’s a long time to keep stringing North along if you're not serious about doing your due diligence on the club.

If his answer is 'no' then you thank him for his time and hang up the phone, if his answer is 'show me the money first and I'll get back to you' then you thank him for his time and hang up the phone.

Last edited:

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Surely its impossible to have a proper process if Hird is involved. Nobody is going to believe it's a proper process if Hird is coaching next year.

We've pissed off a lot of prospective coaches already, if the idiots want Hird just sign him, because if we do a sham process, hire Hird, and it goes balls up in 3 years, we are going to be in the same position we are now with experienced coaches saying they aren't interested.

If they actually want to do a proper process tell Hird today we aren't interested.

Justin Rodski looks to be thriving (not sure how), get him in as CEO - he knows the place.

Got a response to my email from David Barham today.
bored waiting GIF

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
My letter basically said Campbell, Brasher, Dodoro and the entire board must go.
I said we need a fresh start, no going back to the past. I suggested Adam Kingsley as coach(next day he was appointed by GWS). Also suggested maybe a respected football person come on board such as Mark Williams in an advisory role.

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
Here’s the response -

I want to first thank you for taking the time to respond and for your passionate and dedicated support of the Club over many years.

I want to again acknowledge that the process that unfolded over the past week was far from ideal.

Throughout his tenure, and perhaps most visibly over the past week, Ben Rutten has conducted himself in an incredibly professional manner and he leaves the Essendon Football Club with nothing but our full and utmost respect.

We now turn our attention to recruiting a new coach and launching our external review, both of which we know are critical to returning our Club to its rightful status. The external review will be thorough, impartial and exhaustive, leaving no stone unturned in identifying areas for improvement and development across the Club.

I again want to thank you for your feedback and honesty, I know that it comes from a place of passion and pride for the Essendon Football Club.

Our ultimate goal is and always will be the success of the Club, and our role as a Board is to ensure the Club is best positioned to achieve that success, both on and off the field. I give you my full commitment that this is our sole and unwavering focus.

Kind regards,

Dave Barham

President of the Essendon Football Club

Here’s the response -

I want to first thank you for taking the time to respond and for your passionate and dedicated support of the Club over many years.

I want to again acknowledge that the process that unfolded over the past week was far from ideal.

Throughout his tenure, and perhaps most visibly over the past week, Ben Rutten has conducted himself in an incredibly professional manner and he leaves the Essendon Football Club with nothing but our full and utmost respect.

We now turn our attention to recruiting a new coach and launching our external review, both of which we know are critical to returning our Club to its rightful status. The external review will be thorough, impartial and exhaustive, leaving no stone unturned in identifying areas for improvement and development across the Club.

I again want to thank you for your feedback and honesty, I know that it comes from a place of passion and pride for the Essendon Football Club.

Our ultimate goal is and always will be the success of the Club, and our role as a Board is to ensure the Club is best positioned to achieve that success, both on and off the field. I give you my full commitment that this is our sole and unwavering focus.

Kind regards,

Dave Barham

did you order the vanilla ice cream?

As members, the whole Essendon board here needs to write into Essendon and ask for each and every board member to resign. We need a complete cleanout and it starts at the top.
I replied to the ‘Message from the president letter’ the other day with that exact sentiment.

Received my letter back from David Barham today, I suspect the same letter went to a lot of people.

Here’s the response -

Kind regards,

Dave Barham

Ha ha, word for word that is the same response I got. Doubt Dave even saw that.

Here’s the response -

Kind regards,

Dave Barham

what is his email? I've been known to craft a tasty missive.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

That is bloody rich coming from the bloke who as footy manager was the architect of the saga. I know a few people from Athletics Australia who said he was a snake.

Corcoran's had a couple of.....interesting appearances this year. I'd like to hear his side of the story, even if I suspect it's filled with pot holes and "hey not my fault".

I like in this article when he says:

“He was caught up in the greatest injustice in Australian sporting history, not to say Essendon shouldn’t have been whacked, they should have been for running a risky program with idiots running it. But I thought, and I have seen a lot of them in different fields, what good coaches are, I didn’t feel Al Clarkson was the right fit for Essendon.

Almost as if Hird and himself had no relationship with the "idiots" running it (as we know, Hird messaged Corcoran when Reid stopped the program asking Corcoran to call a meeting and help get the program back on track....)

When Sheedy said his stupid nonsense before the Carlton game, Corcoran popped up with this:

“We all think back in hindsight, the lack of supervision, the lack of reporting, all those sort of things, come to the fore. But they can’t prove we did take performance-enhancing drugs and we can’t prove that we didn’t. That’s the dilemma,” Corcoran told The Age.

“The handling and mismanagement on every level, including the AFL and ASADA, trying to deal with ASADA, trying to bully ASADA, they didn’t respond well to that. They became mortal enemies. People don’t know the whole story.”

One thing I'd say is that Corcoran, at the very least, appears to be closer to accepting the overall problem than some of the others....

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
Cmon Jimmy. About time you made public you do not want to be head coach at Essendon ever again. Do the right thing. Not for you. The club. Since the club is bigger than you or any other person including Sheedy.

Back