Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Wanting what was an average coach because "it shows balls" is the epitome of being a nuffy.
My point is it's only a personal opinion.
Geelong have just won a flag after 11 years with a list that potentially could've won 4, now he's a super coach. My opinion
Heppell / Finch should retire move on, my opinion.
Muhammed Ali clearly the greatest boxer of all time, my opinion.
Jerry Hall, marries 3 of the richest men in the world, SL or gold digger, my opinion.
Yeah I know, I've gotta wear the no- balls bit. Thats who I am.
Love Essendon, Heppell fan, one eyed Hird, never been a fan of Sheedy's, MY opinion.

Sheedy stuff aside I find it particularly galling that Rutten wasn’t afforded the opportunity to sell the exact same message Scott is now (rightly) preaching. The bleeding obvious ‘this is a full rebuild’.

Barham is yet to publicly undermine Scott in the same way that Brasher did Rutten but what hope did Rutten ever have with Brasher coming out and spouting s**t about finals and flags all the time?

Perhaps by ‘experienced coach’ the board actually just meant ‘someone that we respect and want to listen to’?

Sheedy stuff aside I find it particularly galling that Rutten wasn’t afforded the opportunity to sell the exact same message Scott is now (rightly) preaching. The bleeding obvious ‘this is a full rebuild’.

Barham is yet to publicly undermine Scott in the same way that Brasher did Rutten but what hope did Rutten ever have with Brasher coming out and spouting s**t about finals and flags all the time?

Perhaps by ‘experienced coach’ the board actually just meant ‘someone that we respect and want to listen to’?
The latter certainly. Gravitas.

I think he should’ve been afforded more respect as the incumbent, I hate the timing, and I think he was thrown under the bus to some extent for the sake of removing others that were creating problems, but I don’t know if we have any evidence to say Truck was objectively the best candidate.

The manner of his hiring and then the manner of his sacking has deflected scrutiny from his actual record a bit.

The latter certainly. Gravitas.

I think he should’ve been afforded more respect as the incumbent, I hate the timing, and I think he was thrown under the bus to some extent for the sake of removing others that were creating problems, but I don’t know if we have any evidence to say Truck was objectively the best candidate.

The manner of his hiring and then the manner of his sacking has deflected scrutiny from his actual record a bit.

We are where we are and I’m relatively pleased with Scott in the chair but it’s looking like he’ll be afforded all the things that Rutten wasn’t on the basis of him being an experienced coach. We’re giving him a longer contract, he’ll have football department autonomy, he’ll have more onfield tools to work with and the exec aren’t inflating expectations on him behind his back.

What I take from that is that I’m firstly wrapped for Truck he got out when he did and landed on his feet, and I’m also glad we didn’t settle on Yze because we would have rail roaded him as well but it also doesn’t say a lot for any real change at the top.

It’s almost equivalent to making a hiring decision because one bloke gave you a wet noodle handshake but the other stared you down and almost ripped your arm out of it’s socket.

We are where we are and I’m relatively pleased with Scott in the chair but it’s looking like he’ll be afforded all the things that Rutten wasn’t on the basis of him being an experienced coach. We’re giving him a longer contract, he’ll have football department autonomy, he’ll have more onfield tools to work with and the exec aren’t inflating expectations on him behind his back.

What I take from that is that I’m firstly wrapped for Truck he got out when he did and landed on his feet, and I’m also glad we didn’t settle on Yze because we would have rail roaded him as well but it also doesn’t say a lot for any real change at the top.

It’s almost equivalent to making a hiring decision because one bloke gave you a wet noodle handshake but the other stared you down and almost ripped your arm out of it’s socket.
On reflection, an inexperienced coach who starts with an experienced list or an experienced coach with an inexperienced list seem to be the better combinations. Otherwise it’s the blind leading the blind, or just not enough passion and energy to get over the last hurdle.

Ronny Lerner interviewing Robert Shaw:

However, Shaw stressed that if Essendon didn’t significantly address the under-resourcing of their VFL program, as well as general human and financial resources into player development, especially given how young the list is, the team’s poor performances would continue and it wouldn’t matter who they recruited.

“To me, this has never been about the coach, it’s all about the external review coming out and finding that there is an incredible amount of work to be done off the field,” Shaw said.

“So Brad Scott’s not going to fix it, Dave Barham’s not going to fix it, unless this review makes a significant cultural and personnel paradigm shift.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, no one deserves any job or respect if they deliver a wet noodle (I call it wet fish) handshake. Horrible to be on the receiving end of those.

Should be sent to jail without passing go and definitely no $200.

Quotes from the press conference on Friday.

Barham said the appointment was a new beginning for the club and a “renewal” on and off the field. The process was led by a selection committee including AFL great Robert Walls and former Hawthorn champion Jordan Lewis.

“We’re looking forward positively and looking forward with enthusiasm to the years ahead,” he said.

“This is a real chance for renewal at this football club … this is about resetting the culture and this football club for the long term. So, it’s not so much about next year, for me, this is about how do we reset this club for sustained long-term success.

“We want to reset back to our core business, which is footy.”

This intrigues me. Especially the phrase "core business".

The name of Andrew Thorburn keeps getting floated as the pick for our next CEO, and he's obviously been involved in both the coach search and the external review.

Whatever else you want to say about him (and I find it odd that Essendon would be able to offer him a salary anything like what he'd be used to), but the first thing he did when he got to NAB was to realign the organisation to their core business. He sold off their overseas assets and focused them back in Australian banking.

I reckon that might be one of the core findings of the external review, though the findings aren't in yet. It sounds like it has his fingerprints on it.

But I guess the next question is, what part of the organisation is not the core business at this point? We got rid of the eSports stuff already a couple of years ago.

Andrew Thorburn appointed as CEO:

Dear members,

On behalf of the Board, I am pleased to formally announce the appointment of Andrew Thorburn as the club’s Chief Executive Officer.

When I became President, we stated that we would be bold and decisive in our action and this appointment represents another significant step forward for the club.

In Andrew, we have secured a highly credentialed leader, with a proven track record in development and building the leadership capabilities of his people.

Andrew’s focus will be on running Essendon like a club, with a renewed focus on our members and the core reason which we exist – football.

Our recent appointments of Brad Scott and today with Andrew, demonstrate our commitment to leadership and providing the right environment to ensure we achieve sustained success as a club.

Andrew is a man of great integrity and exceptional vison. He brings significant business acumen having led many large complex organisations, most notably as CEO of NAB from 2014-2019, and Bank of NZ from 2008-2014. More recently, he has been involved with start-ups, entrepreneurs and a number of not-for-profit organisations.

He has been involved with the game for a long-time through the NAB partnership of the AFL. He impressed the board with his understanding of the AFL system but also the business of sport on a global scale. Most importantly though, Andrew has demonstrated throughout his business career that he can execute the priorities that the organisation has.

We are incredibly excited to welcome Andrew and his family into the Essendon Football Club. He is a lifelong Bombers supporter and we look forward to our members meeting him and understanding his incredible passion for our club.

The process to find our next CEO was comprehensive and led by EY, with the support of club director Dorothy Hisgrove.

Part of my responsibility as President is to ensure that we have the very best people at the club and this was critical when it came to the position of CEO. To do this, we canvassed the industry and encouraged several candidates to enter the process for this role.

One of the people we asked to join the process was Andrew. Whilst he initially came to the club on a short-term basis to coordinate the external review, we believed we couldn’t overlook someone of his calibre and that he needed to be tested within our process against the field of candidates.

When Andrew was approached, he indicated that he would give the opportunity his consideration. At this point, he immediately removed himself from any oversight he had of the club’s CEO search. A week later, he formally entered the process and then interviewed for the role last week, along with the other candidates.

The Board were then presented with a comprehensive review of the candidates via our EY representatives. We then met as a Board this morning to consider these individuals and appointed Andrew Thorburn to lead our club.

Andrew will commence in his role on November 1.

Finally, tonight is the Crichton Medal. The event will be live streamed for our members on the club website.

It’s a night for us to celebrate the players and their efforts throughout the season. You will also hear from our new senior coach Brad Scott and CEO Andrew Thorburn. I’m looking forward to seeing you there tonight and also for those tuning in online.

Thank you and go Bombers!

Dave Barham

Last edited:
Andrew Thorburn appointed as CEO:

Dear members,

On behalf of the Board, I am pleased to formally announce the appointment of Andrew Thorburn as the club’s Chief Executive Officer.

When I became President, we stated that we would be bold and decisive in our action and this appointment represents another significant step forward for the club.

In Andrew, we have secured a highly credentialed leader, with a proven track record in development and building the leadership capabilities of his people.

Andrew’s focus will be on running Essendon like a club, with a renewed focus on our members and the core reason which we exist – football.

Our recent appointments of Brad Scott and today with Andrew, demonstrate our commitment to leadership and providing the right environment to ensure we achieve sustained success as a club.

Andrew is a man of great integrity and exceptional vison. He brings significant business acumen having led many large complex organisations, most notably as CEO of NAB from 2014-2019, and Bank of NZ from 2008-2014. More recently, he has been involved with start-ups, entrepreneurs and a number of not-for-profit organisations.

He has been involved with the game for a long-time through the NAB partnership of the AFL. He impressed the board with his understanding of the AFL system but also the business of sport on a global scale. Most importantly though, Andrew has demonstrated throughout his business career that he can execute the priorities that the organisation has.

We are incredibly excited to welcome Andrew and his family into the Essendon Football Club. He is a lifelong Bombers supporter and we look forward to our members meeting him and understanding his incredible passion for our club.

The process to find our next CEO was comprehensive and led by EY, with the support of club director Dorothy Hisgrove.

Part of my responsibility as President is to ensure that we have the very best people at the club and this was critical when it came to the position of CEO. To do this, we canvassed the industry and encouraged several candidates to enter the process for this role.

One of the people we asked to join the process was Andrew. Whilst he initially came to the club on a short-term basis to coordinate the external review, we believed we couldn’t overlook someone of his calibre and that he needed to be tested within our process against the field of candidates.

When Andrew was approached, he indicated that he would give the opportunity his consideration. At this point, he immediately removed himself from any oversight he had of the club’s CEO search. A week later, he formally entered the process and then interviewed for the role last week, along with the other candidates.

The Board were then presented with a comprehensive review of the candidates via our EY representatives. We then met as a Board this morning to consider these individuals and appointed Andrew Thorburn to lead our club.

Finally, tonight is the Crichton Medal. The event will be live streamed for our members on the club website.

It’s a night for us to celebrate the players and their efforts throughout the season. You will also hear from our new senior coach Brad Scott and CEO Andrew Thorburn. I’m looking forward to seeing you there tonight and also for those tuning in online.

Thank you and go Bombers!

Dave Barham

Weird coz he was part of the CEO search process and had to drop out so he could be interviewed 😬 awks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back