Board vetoes nominee

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whilst in theory I agree with the usage of such a committee in practice it has to be managed correctly and professionally otherwise its perception to the outside, at the least, is brought into question. This looks like it has been very poorly managed by the committee and the club representatives, head shakingly amatuer.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If it's too expensive to hold an election then I suggest, as mentioned in the article, that we drop pretences of allowing ordinary members to run for the Board and in turn, ordinary members can stop funding the organisation.

https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/R...earchIdType=BUSN&_adf.ctrl-state=10ee8zet79_4

Look up the name of the business mentioned in the article.

Registration has lapsed, and it’s main activities when it was active was helping to run student elections a few times a year.

Google search the half a billion dollar business he sat as a director on, and it looks like it was through being a student rep to a university council.

Sure anyone can run, but I question the value add of conducting an election which would have cost 50-100k to get someone on board who’s qualifications rest in student politics. Not quite what we’re in desperate need of right now.

And I imagine that’s what the nominations committee would have picked up on aswell.

Those might be good points but at the same time it does seem the process was not followed correctly or transparently. This fella has a thread going where he claimed he was told he'd be given formal reasons for the committee vetoing his nomination and that hasn't happened. Its just a similar sort of half arsed oversight to the ones that have plagued the membership department and the footy department recently.

Regardless of how good or bad a candidate this guy is the clubs admin has responsibilities and they don't seem to be fulfilled atm.

It was part of a discussion of how well run WC are, on an edition of the Soumding Board podcast about a month ago.

So yes, my source is Hutchy. :$
But I think this is something he would be well informed on.

The Eagles are in a very different position to us. They are the dominant club in WA. The first AFL club in WA and would have the full attention of the WA media and football community on them most if not all the time. That potential public pressure would be implicit in everything they do and would hang over their meeting and decisions all the time. If we had the same level of public concern and scrutiny as the Eagles it would be far less of a problem.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You have to individually mail out voting forms and proxy forms to all 42,000 members. Candidate statements aswell. Hire a venue, and someone to act as returning officer.

It’s a minimum 50k exercise.
Club has been forefront of a lot of things.
Could’ve been done cheap with emails for policy and blockchain for voting.

You have to individually mail out voting forms and proxy forms to all 42,000 members. Candidate statements aswell. Hire a venue, and someone to act as returning officer.

It’s a minimum 50k exercise.
And? Its a cost of being a club. Don’t have a problem with this at all. What we are seeing now is more of a probelm.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The Eagles are in a very different position to us. They are the dominant club in WA. The first AFL club in WA and would have the full attention of the WA media and football community on them most if not all the time. That potential public pressure would be implicit in everything they do and would hang over their meeting and decisions all the time. If we had the same level of public concern and scrutiny as the Eagles it would be far less of a problem.

When we're underwritten by billions of dollars from local minerals companies and have a waiting list for memberships enabling us to purchase any facilities or people we like, then sure, lock down the board.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Eagles are wholly-owned by the WA Football Commission, so their "members" aren't actually members, just season-ticket holders.

Winterlong

Rookie
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And? Its a cost of being a club. Don’t have a problem with this at all. What we are seeing now is more of a probelm.
The election was to be held as an online ballot. I'm pretty sure the club mails out an AGM notice to everyone, they would have enclosed candidate statements in the same letter. The cost would have been neglible in the context of the club budget, and I say that as someone who has a business providing such services.

The election was to be held as an online ballot. I'm pretty sure the club mails out an AGM notice to everyone, they would have enclosed candidate statements in the same letter. The cost would have been neglible in the context of the club budget, and I say that as someone who has a business providing such services.

When WANM placed a motion to amend the Constitution to require a member vote if the Board wanted to increase home games above 4 outside Victoria they didn't include our statement.

Who knows if this guy was gonna be any good for the club. It sounds like he wanted to be a voice for the members and I think most here would be all for that.

The fact that he was denied due process is not acceptable. I’m glad this is now in the public domain.
If Wangmann isn’t qualified to be a Shinboner, then who the hell is?
Middle of the bat.

Last edited:
I was at the AGM a couple of years ago when members approved the changes to the constitution to implement the nominations committee process. You people saying you’re members and never heard about it need to read your mail more closely.
Well sure, but in practice these things are always carried by proxy votes.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nominations Committee approved by the members well I'm a member and I wasn't noticefired as a member about this as I believe any man or women should be able to run for any board.
So which members did vote for this was it the following members the Buckley Dilena Scanlon McDonald Crocker Joyce Scott families?
Boys Club working well I see business as useal down at North
Be interesting to know of how many that did. This all smells off.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

NOPE!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
When WANM placed a motion to amend the Constitution to require a member vote if the Board wanted to increase home games above 4 outside Victoria they didn't include our statement.

Mate, RUN FOR THE BLOODY BOARD!

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I am seriously pissed that people didn't recognise the potential for abuse in this stunt.

Let's be realistic Tef, it was snuck through quietly and no one was going to spend the energy to raise it and change during "peacetime" with no mass support or immediate impetus.

Just like the night of the vote to cap relocating home games (note - I attended and voted against the club having free reign) the masses would just drown out any dissenter, just like they did to RJ's agitation at an AGM and just as they did to a chap who kept working over the board with difficult questions about Tasmania during an AGM.

It's easy to get heated up on here, a lot harder to do as Winterlong has done and turn that into any sort of action.

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The costs of elections should be factored in every year and if it means cutting spending elsewhere in the Administrative arm of the club then so be it, I doubt we'd notice the difference. The members should decide who is on the Board.

Much as I agree with the sentiment, the realities of low information voters has somewhat hammered my democratic sensibilities...
Angry mobs make stupid decisions (see Trump, Brexit, etc etc).

Back