boats Boats BOATS! The Australian punditry needs to be put on a life raft and sunk in the Pacific.

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is they either don't know and should, or he has been outed for trying to use vague assertions like some tabloid hack which may or may not be true, when he is the nations chief law officer.

Don't know and should know what?

Porter was correct to use the terms 'charged with four counts of sexual penetration of a minor under the PNG Summary Offences and Crimes Against Children Act'

The interviewer was trying to be a smartarse by saying 'So not convicted'?

The person in question is charged with serious crimes and not convicted. As I said, if he was charged in Australia he'd probably be in the clink until his trail. But now he's on his way to this country on 'medical grounds'.

Don't know and should know what?

Porter was correct to use the terms 'charged with four counts of sexual penetration of a minor under the PNG Summary Offences and Crimes Against Children Act'

The interviewer was trying to be a smartarse by saying 'So not convicted'?

The person in question is charged with serious crimes and not convicted. As I said, if he was charged in Australia he'd probably be in the clink until his trail. But now he's on his way to this country on 'medical grounds'.
So many priests say BS

So many priests say BS
My understanding is that with those type of offences, the Minister can still refuse him coming to Australia for treatment.
Further if he was that ill, he would be accompanied by guards.

The charges are abhorrent if true.

You can see the temptation for Morrison to highlight boats, but with opening Christmas Island he is crying wolf. Voters see through that.

The ALP kept relatively quiet when Abbott and Morrison imposed secrecy on boat turn backs. This was to take the heat out of the people smuggling trade.
Time for Morrison to do the same. He has no hope of re election, so should just present a united front instead of signalling people smugglers that the alp will somehow soften.
Ok you can say Rudd did but mandatory detention goes back to the Keating govt. it’s normally bipartisan

And Scotty old chum, after the election, stfu old mate, no ‘pick up the phone to nauru’ bulldust

My understanding is that with those type of offences, the Minister can still refuse him coming to Australia for treatment.
Further if he was that ill, he would be accompanied by guards.

The charges are abhorrent if true.

If true, he had victims who were also asylum seekers. There’s all types in all communities

Well the NEIN influence at fairfax has fully taken hold.

My sisters uncles stepmoms brothers cousins daughters grandads mothers father of a bird i ****ed 25 years ago said the people smugglers are just waiting for bill shorten to be elected so they can restart the boats

Personally I vote on who I prefer to govern, not what some hypothetical people smuggler may be thinking.

Latest article referring to Tampa said Howard stopped the boats. OK he did but the ‘flood’ of boats he stopped arrived while he was PM. NOT labor. Beasley simply didn’t engage in a race to the bottom while howard milked it for all it was worth

If we are mesmerised by the historical context, which party’s PM facilitated Vietnamese boat arrivals?

You can see the temptation for Morrison to highlight boats, but with opening Christmas Island he is crying wolf. Voters see through that.

Unfortunately stacks don’t. Stacks of bogans read (well look)at the hsun front 2-3 pages, subconsciously digest its trash, think “yeh stop the effin boats” and then flip to the back page to see what Robbo has to say. Sad but true.

ZkiNBXu.jpg

Australia is truly a blueprint for how to stupify political discourse to a potato brained level.

The boats have stopped, the boats will start again, will he lose because of the boats, they are running on 'the boats' again, boats! How can a country care so much about a one word ******* dogwhistle which simply identifies a mode of transport? Entire campaigns, op-eds and infinite public brain rattling about a single damn word.

This is a huge gamble by Murdoch and the punditry. Trying to wring so much political capital and space in the news/entertainment cycle out of something so reductive, again, for the umpteenth time. What happens if voters have been inoculated to this stupidity, have developed a more sophisticated understanding of the situation and are leaning towards humane solutions or are just simply tired of the decades old, empty scare. The power of the LNP and News will be permanently diminished.

At what cost did Rudd’s decision cost Australia, Indonesia, the customers of people smugglers?

Even Rudd put his hand up and accepted his mistake. Yet some were so wedded to Rudd’s mistake, they are too embarrassed to see common sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back