Bob Hawke Has Died

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be interesting to see a Coalition response to the GFC in 2008/2009 and the worldwide recession of 1990/1991 however we know what happened in the 1981/1982 recession when they were in power - double digit interest rates, inflation and unemployment. The only I repeat the only time this has occurred in our history.

Coalition - supposedly great economic managers when times are good, crap when they aren’t.

Perhaps some of you should do your homework.

The great reformers in Australia are the ALP not the Coalition.
The coalition would have gone for austerity like all the other RWFW govts around the world.
The prices and incomes accord was effectively a form of austerity. But Hawke achieved it with the explicit promise of welfare and social reforms that would benefit all Australians equally.

Context or lack of is what your reaching for. Krudd was a joke the 900 $ to buy a new flatscreen was probably his most stopid decision, that or trusting shifty bill
OK for starters any post that include the name Shifty Bill isn’t worth the screen it’s printed on.

Secondly, there was no compulsion to spend the $900 on flat screens or indeed anything, so why persist with that stupid unsupported stereotype either?

It flooded an economic system with liquidity right when it was on the verge of doing a Murray/Darling, thereby averting the recession that practically every advanced economy that didn’t follow fiscal stimulus experienced.

Why are easily established facts so challenging for your worldview?

Ceaser is pretty balanced where as your views are very partisan. The alp ran up a massive debt under hawke/Keating.
You bet I’m partisan.
One party runs the country successfully, the Coalition couldn’t organise a poo fight in a cow paddock.

Where’s the need for “balance”? What purpose would “balance” serve when one side of politics is of such a demonstrably low standard?

Hawke was the last truly Australian PM. Since then ...

Keating: wishes he was born in 18th century Vienna
Howard: poisonous nerd
Rudd: simulacrum of a poisonous nerd
Gillard: weird student politician trying to act normal
Abbott: lizard
Turnbull: effete rich dickhead
Morrison: follows some weird bible bashing loony religion.

Hawke was the kind of guy who could attend both VFL and NSWRL grand finals, the Ashes, a rugby World Cup match, etc, and genuinely look like he enjoyed and understood all sports.

Howard was fantastic. Hawke was great. The rest since....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the greatest Australian’s to ever live.

Completely modernised our economy
Cared immensely for the common person
Wouldn’t stand for racism of any sort
Gave us all Medicare
Set up superannuation
Floated the dollar
Showed us all how to skoll a beer
A genuine bloke who actually cared and wanted to make a difference
A man of the people

The list goes on..

Will forever be in our hearts... Rest In Peace Bob.

Yeah. Even if you are more centre or right leaning you really have to admire his reforms. They are good. Like really good.

Far out.

This is rubbish.

There's just been 24 hours of saturation media about how great the ALP is 2 days out from a Federal Election, costing them nothing essentially, and somehow you think that's rubbish.
Well we'll see tomorrow if it has had any effect on the majority of undecided/disinterested voters.
See you back here tomorrow night.

What did Howard do that even comes even close to anything Hawke/Keating?

The answer is NOTHING.
Howard is a liar & one of the worst PM's ever.
Worse than Abbott and Scummo combined simply because he got people to believe that he did something when he did absolutely bugger all.

Gun reform

Corporations regulation reform

Uniformity of many state and territory regulations

Gst

East Timor

Completely paying of all government debt

Left the government in surplus

Founded the future fund

All great measures.

There is no need to denigrate a man simply because of bias.

There's just been 24 hours of saturation media about how great the ALP is 2 days out from a Federal Election, costing them nothing essentially, and somehow you think that's rubbish.
Well we'll see tomorrow if it has had any effect on the majority of undecided/disinterested voters.
See you back here tomorrow night.

I think Shorten is likely to win. I think it is rubbish that people are attempting to score political points in a thread about a great man.

the way Howard privatised telstra is all you need to know. claimed to provide competition but really restricted it. the NBN difficulties can be traced back to that

In my not so humble opinion. Australia has never been the same since they split up the P.M.G.

At that stage, we were at the forefront of technological advances in telecommunications.

Nowadays, we are at the mercy of a rapacious U.S. corporation, whose business methods involve having their customers do their quality control, over a period of three or four years after they release their defective product, to a slavering market.

As someone old enough to remember Hawke, find it amusing to see him get put up to sainthood.

I mean I like Hawke, probably think he was lucky to have Keating as his 2IC but in the time of #METOO, he seems to have gotten a free ride in his death, he was the original pussy grabber. Find it very hypocritical of Labor women to stay silent about BOB, guess an election is way more important than the truth...quite sad really.

Not being a prick here but he was more than feared on flights for hand up the skirt treatment to the air hostess...and that is what I have first hand knowledge on, doubt it would have ended there...but there is every Labor female candidate shutting their mouth at election time.

Like vote who you want to but....if you were going to vote for Labor, draw a big dick on the card like I did, that is what they deserve for trying to gain votes off the inappropriate memory of BOB
One of the reasons I thought it better not to comment at this stage. The vile Hinch thought that the only thing the dead deserved was the truth. Not so sure.

It can reflect badly on the one dishing the dirt. I completely understand why you would post this, maybe leave it for a day or two? Dunno about that either

Not sure if you're being serious or not, but Bob never touched a drop the whole time he was in Parliament

Yep, bloke had his demons and in office by all accounts stood them at bay. Have never understood the lack of love for him by large section of the ALP. People can bang on about Keating but all his good work was under Hawke. Wasnt a saint but then never pretended to be and I think thats a big part of the charm and affection held for him.

Best ALP PM by a country mile. I don't think anyone would argue that he left Australia in a better position after he left office. Could be said of few others.

Will never forget as a kid us winning that boat race and that interview. Stuff of legends. Some use the term unAustralian. Well Bob and that day epitomised Australia.

Sad day.

RIP

As someone old enough to remember Hawke, find it amusing to see him get put up to sainthood.

I mean I like Hawke, probably think he was lucky to have Keating as his 2IC but in the time of #METOO, he seems to have gotten a free ride in his death, he was the original pussy grabber. Find it very hypocritical of Labor women to stay silent about BOB, guess an election is way more important than the truth...quite sad really.

Not being a prick here but he was more than feared on flights for hand up the skirt treatment to the air hostess...and that is what I have first hand knowledge on, doubt it would have ended there...but there is every Labor female candidate shutting their mouth at election time.

Like vote who you want to but....if you were going to vote for Labor, draw a big dick on the card like I did, that is what they deserve for trying to gain votes off the inappropriate memory of BOB

Hawke, Clinton, Kennedy.

I bet you don't give credit for one Coalition policy ever, and think everything the ALP brings in is right all the time.

I applaud unreservedly Menzies' efforts in putting education near the top of the political agenda.

Without his determination, Canberra would be still be a shanty town.

Otherwise, not much.

Edit: Howard's gun control measures are among the very rare examples of a government doing the right thing by doing something when they thought it was expected of them to be seen to be doing something, anything.

Similarly, as evidenced by this past summer, the idea of constructing a desalination plant in Victoria has also, finally, borne fruit. (It's about the only thing growing here.) The splendid rain of a couple of weeks ago has barely penetrated the surface.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back