FTA-TV Bob Murphy signs with FoxFooty, gets new show

Remove this Banner Ad

Over saturation is a concern though
It's his first year as a media guy, as opposed to a player who does some media. How can it be "over-saturation" already?

If people think there is a place in the media for articulate former players who actually have something semi-interesting to say, surely there's a place for Bob Murphy. He doesn't retreat into cliches and has a light comic touch. There's not many former players you can say that about.

The show may still be s**t but Bob Murphy warrants a go at it, in my opinion.

Like the look of the show if it turns out how it seems - There is a real gap in the industry where sport can be discussed in a relaxed setting - Open Mike is good, though it has an edgy and serious feel to the show.

Good luck to him and the show. He's a likable character who is quite clearly intelligent - which is something you can't attribute to a vast majority of the ex-players in the media these days.

More Murphy's and less Hall, Lynch, Mooney, etc. etc. etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ITs the same reason everyone loves +.05 hodge, he’s a good bloke apparently

His articles for The Age were excellent and clearly was a breath of fresh air with his articulate and insightful work on air for 360.

People whinge about nepotism, jobs for the boys and incoherent commentary on the game, yet when a player who has a wealth of on field experience, has a good nature with a dry subtle sense of humour with prior media experience gets a gig halfwits come out of the woodwork to bag it out.

It's all just tall poppy syndrome from donuts wanting to be negative about something in response to the feel good nature of the Bulldogs getting up in 2016 and the attention on him in the aftermath (which he had no control over).

His articles for The Age were excellent and clearly was a breath of fresh air with his articulate and insightful work on air for 360.

People whinge about nepotism, jobs for the boys and incoherent commentary on the game, yet when a player who has a wealth of on field experience, has a good nature with a dry subtle sense of humour with prior media experience gets a gig halfwits come out of the woodwork to bag it out.

It's all just tall poppy syndrome from donuts wanting to be negative about something in response to the feel good nature of the Bulldogs getting up in 2016 and the attention on him in the aftermath (which he had no control over).

Well would we rather a show called Bob or a Sam McClure show called Sam?

I agree its good to see a recently retired player with his own show but with Bob, I just don't get it, he always comes across as holding things back, although I accept that there were times when he would have needed too and he might free up now that he has retired.

not sure, overexposed by circumstances and while a personable um person, is probably overrated as a man
on his own. but things can be tried and they might just die a less mortifying death than something too overexposed.

there that is my crushing blow to the concept..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back