Bob Quinn - The Rover of Tobruk

Remove this Banner Ad

Cherish that photo Noddy. So often in our younger/bomb proof years we sometimes never quite understand the impact our relatives have made on ours and other peoples lives.

Mrs R has an 1947 photo of her late Father in the same team team as Bob Quinn - lost the GF to Westies.
I certainly do cherish it Rexie.

The extraordinary life and legacy of Bob Quinn - InDaily

Today, Sport SA has announced that Quinn’s name will be rightfully placed in another pantheon of sporting achievement, the SA Sport Hall of Fame. The occasion sparks this thought: How would one of the most modest and humble achievers in South Australian sport want to be remembered today when the spirit of the Anzac tradition is so strong and the game of Australian football is so powerful? As a sporting hero or a war hero?

The “MM” by Quinn’s name on the northern stand at Alberton Oval is not in recognition of his two Magarey Medals, earned on each side of his war-interrupted career – the first in 1938 when Quinn was arguably the best rover in South Australian football; the second in 1945 after he had returned from war service with, as his family and team-mates recall, half a leg “blown off” by enemy fire to his right thigh. The “MM” script on the grandstand forever recalls Quinn’s Military Medal for taking command of the 10th platoon at Tobruk to dismantle a barbed-wire barrier before attacking an enemy post while facing the threat of death from the spray of machine guns.

Today, 70 years after Quinn last coached the South Australian State team, the boy who ran from Exeter and rowed across the Port River to train at Alberton Oval is appropriately remembered as a hero, not just as a sportsman but as a soldier on true battlefields.

The extraordinary life and legacy of Bob Quinn - InDaily

Today, Sport SA has announced that Quinn’s name will be rightfully placed in another pantheon of sporting achievement, the SA Sport Hall of Fame. The occasion sparks this thought: How would one of the most modest and humble achievers in South Australian sport want to be remembered today when the spirit of the Anzac tradition is so strong and the game of Australian football is so powerful? As a sporting hero or a war hero?

The “MM” by Quinn’s name on the northern stand at Alberton Oval is not in recognition of his two Magarey Medals, earned on each side of his war-interrupted career – the first in 1938 when Quinn was arguably the best rover in South Australian football; the second in 1945 after he had returned from war service with, as his family and team-mates recall, half a leg “blown off” by enemy fire to his right thigh. The “MM” script on the grandstand forever recalls Quinn’s Military Medal for taking command of the 10th platoon at Tobruk to dismantle a barbed-wire barrier before attacking an enemy post while facing the threat of death from the spray of machine guns.

Today, 70 years after Quinn last coached the South Australian State team, the boy who ran from Exeter and rowed across the Port River to train at Alberton Oval is appropriately remembered as a hero, not just as a sportsman but as a soldier on true battlefields.

Bob Quinn, MM wasn't already in the SA Sport Hall of Fame?? Unbelievable.

Bob Quinn, MM wasn't already in the SA Sport Hall of Fame?? Unbelievable.

Nup this is Sth Aust after all, I mean have a look who Bob is rated alongside of. My only surprise is that Graham Cornes isn't there... yet.

I get the lionisation of Robran but there was a game at Prospect where our Russell played CHB on him and pulled his pants down.

Herb's father once said it was Russell's true position, probably when he was growing up but not at the highest level.

Last edited:
Nup this is Sth Aust after all, I mean have a look who Bob is rated alongside of. My only surprise is that Graham Cornes isn't there... yet.

I get the lionisation of Robran but there was a game at Prospect where our Russell played CHB on him and pulled his pants down.

Herb's father once said it was Russell's true position, probably when he was growing up but not at the highest level.
Along side another Aussie war hero, namely one G S Cornes 🙄😒

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back