Recommitted Bobby Hill [requested trade to Essendon but will be held to his contract]

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's the fault of Bobny, his manager, Collingwood and the Giants.

Does anybody get a pass?
I don't think anyone seriously blames GWS. They were given no time.

No one is pretending anything. I dislike Essendon. I find their supporters putridly hypocritical.

Enjoy the twins..they may help you win a final in 2030..
******* lol.

You had more invested in this than supporters of either club.

Hypocritical? How did you feel about stumping up when your club took Martin in the PSD?

I'm glad we didn't pay overs for Hill. I think F2 was overs so glad old long-sleeves was petty enough to turn it down.

I think the Giants just wanted to make a statement by not trading him, Collingwood's reported offer was certainly overs. They are an expansion team and if they traded him after he requested it out of the blue while contracted then it may have set a bad precedent. Will be interesting to see if he leaves in 12 months and if it's to the bombers for cheap

A few points...

1. A bit rich of GWS making an example of a young player by holding them to a contract yet were quite happy to trade Finlayson mid contract.

2. Clearly Young screwed his client by mishandling the trade request. Reckon as soon as they saw Finlayson get his trade done they jumped on the "what about me" bandwagon.

3. You can debate the fair value of the trade proposed but at the end of the day McCartney was pretty clear they were never going to entertain a trade so unless Dodoro was negligent in his offer then the whole scenario was pretty predictable.

4. Essendon clearly weren't that fussed and will move on pretty quick but the personal anguish reportedly expressed by Hill family will haunt GWS and McCartney... karma's a bitch.

Was hill due to replace dev smith?
walla plays ahead of him

didn’t see a big need for essendon tbh

Possibly. Smith's form as been an issue for 2 years post injury. Can see him becoming depth if we're to continue to develop. If we hold ground next it will be considered a successful year.

Young and Dodoro have given very different versions of events of aftermath of the trade not getting through. Seems Bobby is ok with it.
He will be fine, hopefully he gets his head in the right spot and plays some decent footy this year. I do hope we keep in his ear though and try and get him for cheap next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few points...

1. A bit rich of GWS making an example of a young player by holding them to a contract yet were quite happy to trade Finlayson mid contract.

2. Clearly Young screwed his client by mishandling the trade request. Reckon as soon as they saw Finlayson get his trade done they jumped on the "what about me" bandwagon.

3. You can debate the fair value of the trade proposed but at the end of the day McCartney was pretty clear they were never going to entertain a trade so unless Dodoro was negligent in his offer then the whole scenario was pretty predictable.

4. Essendon clearly weren't that fussed and will move on pretty quick but the personal anguish reportedly expressed by Hill family will haunt GWS and McCartney... karma's a b*tch.
Rubbish.

The nail in the coffin was him requesting a move to Victoria for 'personal reasons' but would only entertain a move to Essendon. What a load of crap.
GWS absolutely did the right thing. He is contracted.

Essendon did reportedly offer him a long contract and upped their offer to a 2nd round, so not so sure they 'clearly weren't fussed'. They weren't there to just do him a favour.

A few points...

We have a surplus of talls, or enough cover for that position. We don’t have enough coverage for Bobby.

Reckon he saw it as a chance to get Lobb out of Freo & more coin for Bobby, What the numbnuts failed to realise was that football clubs have needs & just because one position can be covered, another can’t. The brain dead moron has made some extremely bad decisions this post season and I hope his business suffers for it,

Think that’s unfair on McCartney. If we could have received a player like Wingard (who I’m glad we didn’t get!!) we would’ve take the future second. A future second does nothing for our list this coming season. Losing Bobby does have a negative impact on our season.

4. Essendon clearly weren't that fussed and will move on pretty quick but the personal anguish reportedly expressed by Hill family will haunt GWS and McCartney... karma's a b*tch.

That is some serious editorial hyperbole you’ve got there. What if we edit that slightly?

GWS will welcome Bobby back with open arms and support him but the personal anguish reportedly expressed by Hill family will haunt Essendon & Dodoro because they didn’t move heaven and earth to get him to the club. Karma’s a bitch.

Rubbish.

The nail in the coffin was him requesting a move to Victoria for 'personal reasons' but would only entertain a move to Essendon. What a load of crap.
GWS absolutely did the right thing. He is contracted.

Essendon did reportedly offer him a long contract and upped their offer to a 2nd round, so not so sure they 'clearly weren't fussed'. They weren't there to just do him a favour.

Every player who requests a trade specifies a preferred club. Why should Hill be any different?

I don't blame McCartney for holding a player to a contract but don't be surprised when the player walks next year (as Daniher did).

The onus is on the clubs to provide an environment where players want to stay. Essendon clearly had to work hard to redeem themselves in this area. Hill clearly wasn't getting the support he needed and we'll see if anything changes going forward.

Every player who requests a trade specifies a preferred club. Why should Hill be any different?

I don't blame McCartney for holding a player to a contract but don't be surprised when the player walks next year (as Daniher did).

The onus is on the clubs to provide an environment where players want to stay. Essendon clearly had to work hard to redeem themselves in this area. Hill clearly wasn't getting the support he needed and we'll see if anything changes going forward.

Because the reason he stated he wanted to break his contract was to move to Melbourne for 'family reasons'. If that was the case, and it was so important for him, why only want to deal with the 1 club? Obviously family wasn't that important.

Obviously his bluff was called. He probably just wanted to play for Essendon. You would be naive to think this hadn't been planned prior to the trading period.

Because the reason he stated he wanted to break his contract was to move to Melbourne for 'family reasons'. If that was the case, and it was so important for him, why only want to deal with the 1 club? Obviously family wasn't that important.

Obviously his bluff was called. He probably just wanted to play for Essendon. You would be naive to think this hadn't been planned prior to the trading period.

Been stated multiple times he has a cousin playing with Essendon's AFLW team. Regardless no other player has to justify the reasons for choosing a team. Did Finlayson have publicly announced the reason for choosing Port over the crows?!?

The double standards placed on Hill are laughable. Should the manager have handled the trade request better? 100%. But doesn't change the fact GWS have held a young player and his family to a contract that has the potential to cause severe mental and emotional harm. Don't be surprised if we hear more about this down the road. Similar but obviously not to the same extent as when Paddy Ryder requested to leave Essendon for Port.

Let’s be real it will be money we all know it and we can see it a mile away lol.

Been stated multiple times he has a cousin playing with Essendon's AFLW team. Regardless no other player has to justify the reasons for choosing a team. Did Finlayson have publicly announced the reason for choosing Port over the crows?!?

The double standards placed on Hill are laughable. Should the manager have handled the trade request better? 100%. But doesn't change the fact GWS have held a young player and his family to a contract that has the potential to cause severe mental and emotional harm. Don't be surprised if we hear more about this down the road. Similar but obviously not to the same extent as when Paddy Ryder requested to leave Essendon for Port.

Stop getting bogged down with Finlayson. He was a player that we could easily replace.

It’s a results based industry. If we can’t replace someone if they ask for a trade & they’re contracted, guess what, we have every right to trade them.

Also, Finlayson is a renowned “head dropper” who never had a defensive side, so shuffling him out is beneficial to us.

They are completely different scenarios.

I would really love for you to drill down on your fantasy statement “Don’t be surprised if we hear more about this down the road. Similar but obviously not to the same extent as when Paddy Ryder requested to leave Essendon for Port.

Just so that I can save the link and revisit it when nothing comes of it and continually tag you in it for my personal gratification.

I think the Giants just wanted to make a statement by not trading him, Collingwood's reported offer was certainly overs. They are an expansion team and if they traded him after he requested it out of the blue while contracted then it may have set a bad precedent. Will be interesting to see if he leaves in 12 months and if it's to the bombers for cheap
I suspect if Hill had approached them August then Essendon and GWS would have been able to come to an agreement
Neither club is to blame here, this one seems all on Hill and his manager.

Imagine the terrible mental health damage caused by holding JD to his contract then!!

Poor bloke probably cried into his cornflakes each morning

Can't be too disappointed here as a dons fan.
keeping the pick is handy for draft night, as much as we needed a small fwd given lack of depth.

Similar to Daniher 2019, club has every right to hold a player to contract.....esp. one who's position isn't deep on the list/not a lot of options to replace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back