Player Watch Bobby “Norm” Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

My question for the strategists on here sr36 Apex36 Scodog10 loki04

Is there room in the 22 for a Bobby and a Jack?

For mine they're kinda similar, Bobby has more speed, Ginnivan has great evasive skill, and play read - that maybe where their differences end? Not sure.

Would it vary depending on venue, opposition and conditions? For mine yes, but where, who, when would be an ideal to fit these two in the same forward line?

Hill makes it hard for Ginnivan. But there will be injuries.

Discussion on Footy Classified that around the club, Hill, is now thought to have surpassed Ginnivan, as the small forward lock.

Why not both? I don’t think Hill is a lock as playing only as a small forward and could easily be moved upfield a bit. Fly will shuffle the chess pieces around so that both might get a game.

If anything if might be Reef who keeps Ginni out. He’s a lot taller but still plays like a small forward.

If Ginni was available this week he might sneak into position 23 with WHE going out. Will have to wait and see until after the port game but Ginni will be back sooner or later.

Why not both? I don’t think Hill is a lock as playing only as a small forward and could easily be moved upfield a bit. Fly will shuffle the chess pieces around so that both might get a game.

If anything if might be Reef who keeps Ginni out. He’s a lot taller but still plays like a small forward.

If Ginni was available this week he might sneak into position 23 with WHE going out. Will have to wait and see until after the port game but Ginni will be back sooner or later.

My guess is that in comparison to last year they were thinking McStay for Johnson and Hill for WHE + Adams replacing Lippa. But Reef looking good has made it a really tight squeeze. Hopefully Johnson slays them in the ressies to make the squeeze even tighter.

Last edited:

Fly said at a presser that they were working Jack hard on the track so he will be ready to come straight back in round three.

Discussion on Footy Classified that around the club, Hill, is now thought to have surpassed Ginnivan, as the small forward lock.
Hill is much better suited to the McRae game plan. McRae and GW actively recruited Hill over a two year period so clearly he was a high priority.

Maybe both can work but then you also have Mcinnes who looked dangerous.

Good problem to have.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hill is much better suited to the McRae game plan. McRae and GW actively recruited Hill over a two year period so clearly he was a high priority.

Maybe both can work but then you also have Mcinnes who looked dangerous.

Good problem to have.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
We've gone from "where the FCK are we going to find an effective forward" to "who the FCK do we leave out this game"? In a very short time.

Exciting 1st up game from Bobby. Of our 4 trades from other clubs he has the most potential to rise above the player he was before he came to us, He is young and on the rise. Of course he isnt a 3 goal a game small forward, they dont exist. He will have plenty of quiet games, we shouldnt worry too much when he has a few as long as they mix with good ones. 1 to 1.2 goas per game would be a great aim for him.

Most exciting thing was his kicking, he wont do 3 goals a game but he can be expected to be an elite deliverer of the ball into the forward 50 on a regular basis and thats hugely exciting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exciting 1st up game from Bobby. Of our 4 trades from other clubs he has the most potential to rise above the player he was before he came to us, He is young and on the rise. Of course he isnt a 3 goal a game small forward, they dont exist. He will have plenty of quiet games, we shouldnt worry too much when he has a few as long as they mix with good ones. 1 to 1.2 goas per game would be a great aim for him.

Most exciting thing was his kicking, he wont do 3 goals a game but he can be expected to be an elite deliverer of the ball into the forward 50 on a regular basis and thats hugely exciting

The elite small forwards kick around 2 goals a game. I think 35-40 from Bobby is what we should aim for.

The elite small forwards kick around 2 goals a game. I think 35-40 from Bobby is what we should aim for.
Cmon 1-3 small forwards on average reach the 2 goals a game per season. No one does it career wise. Eddie Betts took til his 7th season to have a year at 2 goals per game. Shai Bolton, who Bobby is most like, even if Shai statistically covers him pretty easily at the same career stage has never has a season where he went at 2 goals a game. His best until last year was 23 goals at 1.1.

35-40 would be sensational but to suggest its very likley doesnt go with the numbers. 20 -25 should be what we expect if he has a good season.

The kick to Checkers in the 3rd and the bullet to McStay in the last that required a freakish spoil from Rootagalah shows how silky he is

The kick to Checkers in the 3rd and the bullet to McStay in the last that required a freakish spoil from Rootagalah shows how silky he is
I reckon that spoil could easily have been paid a free kick for gabbing the arm.

Don't worry GC there will be calls to drop him after his first quiet game like there always are for Beau and Ginnivan

My question for the strategists on here sr36 Apex36 Scodog10 loki04

Is there room in the 22 for a Bobby and a Jack?

For mine they're kinda similar, Bobby has more speed, Ginnivan has great evasive skill, and play read - that maybe where their differences end? Not sure.

Would it vary depending on venue, opposition and conditions? For mine yes, but where, who, when would be an ideal to fit these two in the same forward line?

Easily. Ginnivan forward pocket. Hill half forward. I think that's what we would have seen had Ginnivan not gone and got himself suspended. It's good to have the depth.

Gin kicked 40 and yet I’ve read plenty of posters question his position in the 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back