Certified Legendary Thread Bob's Adventures In Fremantle - You Really Want To Read This!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

Hope you're getting Big Kev excited as we lead into round one later this week!

As many of you would have realised, I spent a couple of weeks over in WA recently under the guise of visiting family and friends. Little do my family & friends know however that they were merely an excuse for my ulterior motives for making the trip - visiting breweries Official Moderator Business. Here's a summary of what I got up to...

PRE-SEASON GAMES

I got to attend the two pre-season games: the seven-quarter Footypalooza event at Cockburn vs Adelaide, and the Homecoming Parade at Fremantle Oval vs Port Adelaide. Some thoughts on these:
  • Both were great to attend for differing reasons. The first game was a glorified training event but fascinating to watch, particularly seeing the new recruits but also a lot of the up and comers who would normally be playing for Peel, and the second was more in line with an actual game, and at the spiritual home of the both the club and my love of the game;
  • It's amazing the correlation between progression into pre-season and level of rustiness, and it's gratifying to hear the comments from the crowd and how similar they are to the comments in here. We aren't a bunch of crackpots after all!!!
  • Footy players are massive units, which you really get to appreciate up close;
  • raffrox & Clems Knee are legends for hanging out with me in Freo.
MEETING OF THE MODS

In scenes not witnessed since Seppo & Allikat were waving flags together in the away supporters bay in Melbourne, there was a meeting of the Freo mods. Snuffaluphagus Van_Dyke & I took the opportunity to catch up at Gage Roads for a meal and a chat. We talked about plans for the year, how the team will go and which of you we like and which give us the irrits. See if you can guess which is which? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

MERCH SHOPPING

Freo merchandise in central Victoria is as rare as rocking horse poo, so I took the opportunity to stock up on merchandise at the store in Cockburn. I even got to use my member voucher for the first time in years!!!

I even got my hands on some of those Pirate Life Wharfie Draughts, my compliments to the chef!

CATCH UP WITH THE FREO SOCIAL MEDIA TEAM

The other thing I did in Cockburn was to catch up for a coffee & a chat with Tom & Brett from the Freo SM team. Universally admired for arguably some of the AFL's greatest online content (possibly alongside some of TheInjuryFactory 's artwork), it was great to have a chat with them and understand how the magic happens, and it was also great to hear that some of the stuff that we do on here is read, acknowledged and enjoyed in the wider Freo community!

One of the things we chatted about was what opportunities there are for us to work together. I mean we're both purveyors of online Freo-related content, one being the professionally-run official channel for the club and one being a loose collection of passionate yet amateur online 'personalities', but our goals are roughly the same - to evangelise all things Fremantle Football Club. We agreed that there is some real scope for collaboration between the club and this board, and with that in mind it's my privilege to announce the first cab off the rank...

Q&A WITH LACHIE SCHULTZ!!!

You may have seen a few player or coach Question & Answer sessions run by the SM team over the past couple of weeks as we lead into 2023 AFL season, and when it was Lachie's turn he said "I only want to do mine on BigFooty thanks lads!!" (he probably didn't say that but it sounds pretty sweet). So stay tuned, as in the next hour or so I'll be putting up a thread where you can ask a question of Lachie. There will be picked up by the SM team, who are now on the board under the username freo_dockers (why was that username not taken yet???) who will ask them of Lachie and will come back with his replies. Some important things to note:
  • We have a short period of time where questions are open, as Lachie and the team have a game to prepare for this week. So I'll need you to get your questions into the Q&A thread (once I post it) by 12:00pm Perth time tomorrow (Tuesday 14th March),
  • Make sure your questions are respectful and coherent. It goes without saying that we're probably the nutty uncle of the online Freo family, but your questions will be going to an actual person that you want to do well in his chosen endeavour, which is representing the Fremantle Football Club to the best of his ability. Some humour is fine of course, but just think about what you would ask him in person before posing your question here.
Assuming we don't completely botch this up, we'll get some more collaborations going between our board and the club over the course of the season. So get both your thinking caps and your skates on, and once I get the Q&A thread up send in those questions.

Cheers,

Bob.

LFG.gif

Will it be possible to not allow the freo_dockers account to be tagged in posts so as to not absolutely scare off Tom and Brett when anything goes very well or very poorly? 50,000 notifications a week might be a bit much.

Just thinking out loud.
I dont think that's possible but anyone thinking of doing that repeatedly will lose their account very quickly.

Hi all,

As many of you would have realised, I spent a couple of weeks over in WA recently under the guise of visiting family and friends. Little do my family & friends know however that they were merely an excuse for my ulterior motives for making the trip - visiting breweries Official Moderator Business. Here's a summary of what I got up to...

PRE-SEASON GAMES

I got to attend the two pre-season games: the seven-quarter Footypalooza event at Cockburn vs Adelaide, and the Homecoming Parade at Fremantle Oval vs Port Adelaide. Some thoughts on these:
  • Both were great to attend for differing reasons. The first game was a glorified training event but fascinating to watch, particularly seeing the new recruits but also a lot of the up and comers who would normally be playing for Peel, and the second was more in line with an actual game, and at the spiritual home of the both the club and my love of the game;
  • It's amazing the correlation between progression into pre-season and level of rustiness, and it's gratifying to hear the comments from the crowd and how similar they are to the comments in here. We aren't a bunch of crackpots after all!!!
MEETING OF THE MODS

In scenes not witnessed since Seppo & Allikat were waving flags together in the away supporters bay in Melbourne, there was a meeting of the Freo mods. Snuffaluphagus Van_Dyke & I took the opportunity to catch up at Gage Roads for a meal and a chat. We talked about plans for the year, how the team will go and which of you we like and which give us the irrits. See if you can guess which is which? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

MERCH SHOPPING

Freo merchandise in central Victoria is as rare as rocking horse poo, so I took the opportunity to stock up on merchandise at the store in Cockburn. I even got to use my member voucher for the first time in years!!!

I even got my hands on some of those Pirate Life Wharfie Draughts, my compliments to the chef!

The other thing I did in Cockburn was to catch up for a coffee & a chat with Tom & Brett from the Freo SM team. Universally admired for arguably some of the AFL's greatest online content (possibly alongside some of TheInjuryFactory 's artwork), it was great to have a chat with them and understand how the magic happens, and it was also great to hear that some of the stuff that we do on here is read, acknowledged and enjoyed in the wider Freo community!

One of the things we chatted about was what opportunities there are for us to work together. I mean we're both purveyors of online Freo-related content, one being the professionally-run official channel for the club and one being a loose collection of passionate yet amateur online 'personalities', but our goals are roughly the same - to evangelise all things Fremantle Football Club. We agreed that there is some real scope for collaboration between the club and this board, and with that in mind it's my privilege to announce the first cab off the rank...

You may have seen a few player or coach Question & Answer sessions run by the SM team over the past couple of weeks as we lead into 2023 AFL season, and when it was Lachie's turn he said "I only want to do mine on BigFooty thanks lads!!" (he probably didn't say that but it sounds pretty sweet). So stay tuned, as in the next hour or so I'll be putting up a thread where you can ask a question of Lachie. There will be picked up by the SM team, who are now on the board under the username freo_dockers (why was that username not taken yet???) who will ask them of Lachie and will come back with his replies. Some important things to note:
  • We have a short period of time where questions are open, as Lachie and the team have a game to prepare for this week. So I'll need you to get your questions into the Q&A thread (once I post it) by 12:00pm Perth time tomorrow (Tuesday 14th March),
  • Make sure your questions are respectful and coherent. It goes without saying that we're probably the nutty uncle of the online Freo family, but your questions will be going to an actual person that you want to do well in his chosen endeavour, which is representing the Fremantle Football Club to the best of his ability. Some humour is fine of course, but just think about what you would ask him in person before posing your question here.
Assuming we don't completely botch this up, we'll get some more collaborations going between our board and the club over the course of the season. So get both your thinking caps and your skates on, and once I get the Q&A thread up send in those questions.

Cheers,

Bob.

This is going above and beyond. Thanks a heap.

I dont think that's possible but anyone thinking of doing that repeatedly will lose their account very quickly.

It's worth firing off the question to the big dog if you haven't already, I might be mum/wife nagging here (apologies if so), to see if that functionality can be removed for certified :freo::ballotcheck: industry accounts being generous with their access.

My sisters tall, skinny and a demon on the netty court do you think asking Lachie if he wants to bang her … all in the name of rectifying our terrible F/S record would be too much ?

There will be picked up by the SM team, who are now on the board under the username freo_dockers (why was that username not taken yet???)

Probably because of the poor grammar. What kind of moron creates a username that does not begin with a capital letter?

You were mentioned.
My biggest fear is just complete apathy :rainbow:

Lionel Richie Hello GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q&A With Lachie Schultz
Well the Q&A with Lachie Schultz is done and dusted, here's a link if you missed it or wish to take a look back: Official Club Stuff - Q&A With Lachie Schultz

Keep your eye out on the board over the course of the season as we look to get more Champagne Collaboration events* between us and the club happening.

champagne bob.jpg

* collaboration events subject to club & moderator availability, and how many bricks you throw during the season (fewer bricks = more collaboration).

Thought this was about Bob Murphy.

Speaking of Bob Murphy, see him around Freo a bit. Clearly loves it.

Was at You Am I former frontman Tim Roger's gig the other night at Freo Social and Bob had clearly got there early, nabbing one of the premier tables at the front. Was clearly up for a good night.

But sadly Tim is now a full blown (and self-confessed) alcoholic and the gig descended into a farce and something resembling a slow motion train crash. Dressed like Woody's father-in-law (Buzz Lightyear) in a red cowboy suit and hat, sans shirt, it would have been quirky and worked had he been coherent and on song. Unfortunately he was not and it was more carny clown. You could see on the crowd's faces that when he sang his song about when he went once to an AA meeting in Albury Wodonga that everyone wished he had kept going. The looks on the blokes who had rocked up in their You AM I merch T-shirts was just devastating. I was having a laugh up the back with a mate (about other unrelated stuff) having not paid for our tix but even before we gave up and walked out half way through, Bob strode by purposefully with a disappointed look on his face as he headed for the door. Not the night he was hoping for. That night, expectations were not met for Mr Bob Murphy, even with his positive and hopeful outlook on life.

Stay tuned for the next episode of Bob Murphy's Freo adventures where we gave him back his table at Gage Roads (spoiler alert!).

Love Tim. Didn't love that story.

It's always fraught when you turn a weakness into a strength. You do it by accident, slowly, of course - glass by glass with each glass not being a problem in itself. Eitzel sings about being "drunk on the kind of applause that gets louder the lower you sink."

We all applauded.

Hi all,

PRE-SEASON GAMES

MEETING OF THE MODS

MERCH SHOPPING

Cheers,

Bob.

That was a great read! love your passion :)

Hi all,

PRE-SEASON GAMES

MEETING OF THE MODS

MERCH SHOPPING

Cheers,

Bob.

Man, that is top notch awesome by you folks. I didn't get in in time but keep the eyes peeled for sure in future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back