News Bock off to Gold Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's pick 26 (which apparently it won't even be), I think we can still get a reasonable player. Not an elite player by any stretch of the imagination but a pretty good one nonetheless I would think.

Nice to see the AFL change the rules willy nilly once again. Surely youll get compo. Surely.

It is unfortunate that a Victorian club wasn’t the first team to lose a player. I am confident the response would have been very different.

The one thing about the GC is that the Port and Crows will be on the same page, especially if Kraouker goes as well.

Pick 26 for a best and fairest, AA key position player in his prime. You okay with that? It makes ports 2 1st round draft packs for Burgoyne the trade of the century.

i will take that with no if buts maybe. love bock but what has he done this year or since he was is the moon boot??? nothing good on him i think he needs a move to get back to that all australian bock that we have seen.

In the past 2 years Bock has played 27 out of 44 possible games.
He has either been going in the team or out of the team on 13 occasions.

With him in the team, the Crows have won 12 and lost 15 games.
With him OUT of the team the Crows have won 11 and lost 6 games.
Based on these stats we should do well enough without him.

Geelong had the AFL scrambling to revise their compensation formula with rumours of Ablett floating around, but apparently that revised compensation formula does not apply to the Crows.

A few minutes ago on SEN Andrew Demetriou was asked what sort of compensation would AFC get for Nathan Bock, his answer was I'm not sure they'll get anything, he then said all clubs knew they had to sign up their players before GC could offer contracts to players.

Isn't the compensation meant to be based on how old the player is and how much coin the Gold Coast contract is meant to be?

The only other way a player can get there would be the Pre season draft but suprise suprise the Suns own the first 7 or so picks here as well

Isn't the compensation meant to be based on how old the player is and how much coin the Gold Coast contract is meant to be?

The only other way a player can get there would be the Pre season draft but suprise suprise the Suns own the first 7 or so picks here as well

Thanks, I was asking about that.

So basically in our case, Bock Thompson and Knights may still all be team mates next year :mad:

ADELAIDE has slammed the system that will give them one draft pick for Gold Coast-bound Nathan Bock.

Bock, 27, on Tuesday announced he would join the cashed-up Suns

Bock's departure disappointed Adelaide CEO Steven Trigg and coach Neil Craig, who don't know what compensation they will receive for the 2008 All Australian and club champion.

Trigg believed it could be a draft pick numbered between 26 and 30.

"When it happens to you as a club and you get a 26 to 30 ... it stinks," Trigg said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/nathan-bock-admits-suns-offer/story-e6frf9jf-1225906104054

Most people in this thread are making a fatal assumption and that is that Bock is going to be the Suns' selection from Adelaide. Now while this likely, its not necessarily a lock.

For example, say the Gold Coast wanted two players from Adelaide, would they take Bock with the uncontracted player (given that no other club is likely to match the offer to Bock) or the other player on a smaller, more enticing contract with their uncontracted player selection?

It's possible that Bock goes into the draft and still is able to get to the Gold Coast. In this scenario, Adelaide would receive no compensation and recieve compensation only for the other player.

It's also the same for Gary Ablett at Geelong. If he entered the draft (rather than be an uncontracted player selection) no one would be able to afford him so he would get to the Gold Coast AND Geelong would get no compensation.

I suspect this might be the killer if they try such a tactic as you lose two players rather than one and you receive compensation for the lesser of the two only.

For this reason, its hard to guarantee or suggest compensation at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people in this thread are making a fatal assumption and that is that Bock is going to be the Suns' selection from Adelaide. Now while this likely, its not necessarily a lock.

For example, say the Gold Coast wanted two players from Adelaide, would they take Bock with the uncontracted player (given that no other club is likely to match the offer to Bock) or the other player on a smaller, more enticing contract with their uncontracted player selection?

It's possible that Bock goes into the draft and still is able to get to the Gold Coast. In this scenario, Adelaide would receive no compensation and recieve compensation only for the other player.

It's also the same for Gary Ablett at Geelong. If he entered the draft (rather than be an uncontracted player selection) no one would be able to afford him so he would get to the Gold Coast AND Geelong would get no compensation.

I suspect this might be the killer if they try such a tactic as you lose two players rather than one and you receive compensation for the lesser of the two only.

nice post AE, and your right. We are going to need to wait to see what happens. We need to also hope like hell that they don't pick someone like Martin as the uncontracted players and get Bock through the draft which would be a very bad situation.

If Bock were to go along with this, he'd be a right bastard.

Bingo.

Whats worrying is that Vlad has said "Im not sure theyll get anything" which is a perplexing and bizzare statement- unless you consider exactly what you have said. Makes me think its on the cards, and Vlad knows it.

My interpretation of the criteria in Bocks case would be:

If pick is used in the next 2 drafts (2010 or 2011) your pick is at the end of the 1st round. (27 at best)

If you elect to use your pick in the following next 3 drafts, 2012, 2013 or 2014 (with Bock being worth a least 1 1st rounder) you pick will be taken immediately after your 1st round pick.

ie presuming no priority picks- You finish 8th. (18 teams) You'll get pick 11 for finishing 8th and then pick 12 as the compensation pick.

It depends how well you do. The crap thing is, the better you do, the worse you'll be compensated.

As a football fan this is rubbish, getting no compensation for a player such as Bock. I still think the new clubs are a big mistake.

Exactly we will probably get nobody for him. But look what Fremantle got for McLeod?

We also need a few more gun midfielders, someone like a Swan or Ablett. But it won't happen and we need to develop younger players to reach that level.

All of these players that are going to GC will get above what they would be getting at any other club because they have so much more room in their salary cap to spend on them.. You can't see that? If GC had a salary cap like everyone else, they wouldn't and couldn't throw $600k at this player, $1-1.5 million at another and so on.. They are over inflated prices..

I don't think you understand. His value is constrained in the system, no one ever gets more than what someone else values them at. GC have a greater ability to get closer to his true market value, but its wrong to say they don't value him at 600K because their money says they do.

There was a need for "apparently" because i don't know first hand what Tippett is paid, but the club including Neil Craig did say at the time Tippett was offered a decent amount under what GC were offering so they're glad he accepted and so on..

I'm sorry, but you don't have the first clue about this, and neither do I or anyone else.

CrowMo may get his Bock for Griffen wish after all.

I recall a number of people telling me last year Bock was irreplaceable and that Griffen wasn't a first tier, top50 midfielder. :p

that said any offer we could put together for Griffen won't be greatly enhanced by whatever we get back for Bock.

I feel sick. They cant do this to us can they?

I feel sick. They cant do this to us can they?

They can do this to any of the clubs, which is the scary part.

Just convince the 2nd player to walk into the draft and put a price on his head no one else can afford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back