Society & Culture Body Shaming and The Biggest Loser

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason I'll eat Subway is not because I think it's healthy but moreso that I know it's the lesser of two evils. For example I know I'm getting a footlong there but I also know that I'll buy the biggest meal at other fast food places, usually because it's more value for money. And that's how their pricing structure suckers as all in to the "large" meals.

I can't finish a large KFC but can finish a large McDonalds, weird.

I find it's more around how I wake up. I can wake up an hour before my alarm and feel amazing. But sleep that extra hour and get jolted awake by an alarm and I feel s**t

I find it's more around how I wake up. I can wake up an hour before my alarm and feel amazing. But sleep that extra hour and get jolted awake by an alarm and I feel s**t
That's because you are waking up naturally at the end of a sleep cycle. The alarm is waking you up in the middle of one.

Slightly off topic from the latest tangent but does 'personal trainer' actually mean anything? Or is it like life coach or social influencer or real estate agent?

I have friends with university degrees in exercise and sports science, exercise rehab and physiology, physiotherapy etc. and then I see those annoying *s walking around the city in grey 'Australian Institute of Fitness' polos who have about 5 minutes of training.

Slightly off topic from the latest tangent but does 'personal trainer' actually mean anything? Or is it like life coach or social influencer or real estate agent?

I have friends with university degrees in exercise and sports science, exercise rehab and physiology, physiotherapy etc. and then I see those annoying ****s walking around the city in grey 'Australian Institute of Fitness' polos who have about 5 minutes of training.
It doesn't mean what it should to most. Finding a good trainer requires research. Too many just do the bare minimum.

There's been a lot of discussion on health and fitness about how trainers need to be Better regulated and should have uni quals. From all the trainers I know, I'm the only one doing exercise and sports science as a degree. I need it as a minimum to get into working with decent level footy clubs

Realistically. You can get a certificate and then do the bare minimum CEC courses and maintain registration (which is what most do)

It doesn't mean what it should to most. Finding a good trainer requires research. Too many just do the bare minimum.

There's been a lot of discussion on health and fitness about how trainers need to be Better regulated and should have uni quals. From all the trainers I know, I'm the only one doing exercise and sports science as a degree. I need it as a minimum to get into working with decent level footy clubs

Realistically. You can get a certificate and then do the bare minimum CEC courses and maintain registration (which is what most do)
also there are plenty of people out there in professions where they don't keep up with changes or learn new things, its like any job you're going to find good people with less qualifications and bad people with more qualifications

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also there are plenty of people out there in professions where they don't keep up with changes or learn new things, its like any job you're going to find good people with less qualifications and bad people with more qualifications
Doesn't really make it right. Regulation could be a lot better and would be very easy

You can maintain registration through cheap online courses...

I should become some sort of slacker PT, and share my thirty years experience.
The slacker ones who make money are the young ripped blokes who look like they know what they're talking about. A few also
Take "other" payment forms from their female clients.

Doesn't really make it right. Regulation could be a lot better and would be very easy

You can maintain registration through cheap online courses...
oh that part I agree with, and what people can get away with now is pretty poor

more that finding a good coach is about more than just their qualifications (though they are an important part)

oh that part I agree with, and what people can get away with now is pretty poor

more that finding a good coach is about more than just their qualifications (though they are an important part)
Yeah. That's 100% right.

I've had 4 years boxing/kickboxing experience. But can't list it as a qualification because I haven't done a 2 day boxing course with a random institute.

Apparently Silver Chair drummer started in a gym and his PT had him benching a too heavy weight, he complained it was too heavy but the PT made him keep going and it left him with "a torn supraspinatus tendon, inflammation of the supraspinatus muscle, necrosis of the muscle and loss of shoulder girdle function and scarring" Hasn't been able to drum for 8 months and naturally suing the gym

Apparently Silver Chair drummer started in a gym and his PT had him benching a too heavy weight, he complained it was too heavy but the PT made him keep going and it left him with "a torn supraspinatus tendon, inflammation of the supraspinatus muscle, necrosis of the muscle and loss of shoulder girdle function and scarring" Hasn't been able to drum for 8 months and naturally suing the gym
I heard about this just the other day in a drummers Facebook page, pretty s**t..

http://www.alternativenation.net/silverchair-drummer-reveals-tragic-reason-reunion-may-impossible/

Being overweight is, the vast majority of the time, a decision. We should never normalise that.
So is body-piercing, tattoos, beards, dyed hair and weird clothes. Would you go around smirking, sneering, being rude and laughing at people based on any of those choices?

I don't get the whole argument around "fat shaming". If I see an overweight person, I don't feel compelled to judge them. I think people who do make an issue of other people's appearance, weight, etc, are small-minded fools. They're the ones with the problem, in my opinion. Mostly narcissists who spend hours doing curls at the gym and staring in the mirror.

Why can't people just live their lives and be happy in their own skin instead of being miserable pricks and bad-vibing others? Who gives a f**k if somebody loves their Maccas, hates exercising and has a coronary before they turn 50? Does it affect your life in any way? So they miss out on all those vital years when nobody pays them any attention because they're past it. Doesn't really matter, does it?

So is body-piercing, tattoos, beards, dyed hair and weird clothes. Would you go around smirking, sneering, being rude and laughing at people based on any of those choices?

I don't get the whole argument around "fat shaming". If I see an overweight person, I don't feel compelled to judge them. I think people who do make an issue of other people's appearance, weight, etc, are small-minded fools. They're the ones with the problem, in my opinion. Mostly narcissists who spend hours doing curls at the gym and staring in the mirror.

Why can't people just live their lives and be happy in their own skin instead of being miserable pricks and bad-vibing others? Who gives a f**k if somebody loves their Maccas, hates exercising and has a coronary before they turn 50? Does it affect your life in any way? So they miss out on all those vital years when nobody pays them any attention because they're past it. Doesn't really matter, does it?
I don't really like any of the bolded things but as I addressed earlier, obesity has a high cost in terms of healthcare. None of those other things do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back