Movie Bohemian Rhapsody

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why Sacha Baron Cohen would have been a better fit, similar build and looks to Freddie. But May and Co got their knickers in a twist and so instead we have this sanitised and inaccurate PG version.
Yeah Cohen wanted the orgies etc and it would never have happened with the involvement of the living band members. Maybe when they drop off.

Yeah Cohen wanted the orgies etc and it would never have happened with the involvement of the living band members. Maybe when they drop off.
I think this movie paves the way for a more serious Freddy biopic. I read his biography, and its pretty clear the band has a few axes to grind on some people partially due to things that were said to the media right after he died.

Fred's parties were certainly outrageous, but the 'hetero' parties werent any tamer. I suspect they want that to stay quiet until they kick off

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've seen it twice. Just as good the second time around
just saw it again. Although I was busting for a piss as he moved to munich i hung on. and the scene where he stood in the rain tested my bladder stopping capacity. Knowing how long to go helped me hold on.

There were people crying in the penultimate scene, and final one also.

Big Queen fan and it was a great film. There was some obvious discrepancies in timelines (as there always is in biopics) but the only one I really took umbrage with was his AID's diagnosis as that is such a huge moment in someone's life and not really something you should alter for a movie audience. Everything else was relatively trivial.

I was surprised they wanted Live Aid to be the big finale... Whilst it was brilliant, Wembley was just pure Queen without everything else that went with it, and if you really wanted to get audiences emotional you could've rolled on to his actual diagnosis, the final years and his public announcement the day before passing.

Malek was brilliant as Freddie but the star of the show was Gwilym Lee as Brian May for mine.

I was 14 when Freddie passed.
Knew it was significant given how mum and dad took the news, but I was 14.
I've been brought up on a steady diet of Queen music.
What the movie did for me, is re-introduce me to their music like a kid in the most glorious candy store.
Not a day has passed since I first saw BoRap that I haven't listened to or watched a Queen song, clip or doco of some sort.

Somebody to Love at Montreal in 1981 is right up there with Live Aid imo.

So, whatever the movie does and doesn't receive by way of awards, I'm already thankful for it for bringing their catalogue back into my life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So did it deserve Best Drama at the Golden Globes?

It puts it up with some of the greatest movies of all time

Does it deserve sit beside these films?
No. It was decent, albeit slow, and not true to actual timelines, but Malek's performance was very good.

As a movie though it is not up there with some of the greatest of all time.

I watched Live Aid live, well most of it, it was a bit of a marathon effort over night

Anywho finally got around to watch BR last night and was underwhelmed

They should have put the ‘based on true events’ disclaimer at the start or did I miss it?

The manipulation of his Aids diagnosis to hype up Live Aid for the point of drama in the movie was poorly done. There were a possible number of ways this could have been poignantly done but they chose to concoct a timeline that distorted the truth

Is this a problem?

Perhaps not in the immediacy of now, but as time moves on and this becomes the reference point for Freddie, it has the possibility of becoming the truth of his demise

It won’t be the last time history is distorted to tell a story, it’s just a bother of mine with historical pieces

Use them as a starting point, but then look into the reality further as that is more often than not where the real engagement lie

Critics need to STFO - it's brilliant.

I and everyone i know well up or shed a tear or two at the end.

Because 1) Freddie was an icon and a "once in a lifetime" performer
and secondly 2) Music hasn't been the same since then and we didn't realise how good we had it back then - we were spoilt

People really seem to complain about accuracy. Not saying things shouldn't be completely accurate like the greatest showman. But critics seem hell bent on ensuring every little detail is accurate instead of actually just relaxing and enjoying the movie.

i know it's not a complete accurate deception of Freddie, but i went in and i enjoyed the movie for what it was. It doesn't fight hard to claim it's 100% factual so for goodness sake people need to lighten up and expect hollywood to put a small touch on it. They still had did the right thing getting most of the jist down with Bryan May supervising.

If you liked the movie like me, just enjoy it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back