FTA-TV Bojack Horseman

Remove this Banner Ad

Final season is out.

Only watched the first two episodes but it is astounding what they have managed to do with it. No spoilers but who would have thought a wacky animated show with animal-human hybrids can touch on real life issues so accurately? And yet it still packs lots of laughs and has well developed yet flawed characters that you actually care about.

Will miss this show when it finishes.

If I had one critique, the first half of this season doesn't really have a stand out episode (times arrow, free churro). It does very consistently set the pieces in place for the final act though.

Episode 7 shows a huge personal improvement for bojack, setting up todd with the cinnabunny, helping Diane, finally having that crossover episode with MrPB..

"it looks like you found solace in our show. Stay if you like. In 30 minutes, we start all over"

Oh boy, ep8.. bringing back Gina and the female director to show the lasting damage Bojack has left in his wake, then ending with Pete talking about New Mexico..

Sad Dog.

The View From Halfway Down was a difficult watch but that and the finale were an excellent end to the series. I won't spoil it for people but imo it wraps up how the show creators wanted it to end up.

Who would have though a cartoon with anthropomorphic animals centred around a washed up 80s sitcom star would be one of the best shows about depression, addiction, trauma and abuse?

I teared up a couple of times.

My only real complaint was the female journalist, who was over the top even by Bojack standards and irritating more than anything.

So in the end which episodes do we rank as our favourites?

I imagine the following four in no particular order will feature in almost all of the lists.

1. Time's Arrow
2. Free Churro
3. That's Too Much, Man!
4. The View from Halfway Down

Honourable mentions:
1. Fish Out of Water
2. Stupid Piece of s**t
3. Ruthie

Oh man, The View from Halfway Down..

"Does anyone elses water taste like chlorine?"

The characters at the dinner table were also eating their last meals. Lots of nice touches in that episode with a brutal third act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Up to season 4, this is a pretty good show, kinda depressing at times, some real absolute standout episodes sprinkled throughout.
I don’t think I could do l.a/Hollywood if I lived in America, everything I see about it turns me off the whole thing, really seems like a weird and gross part of the world.
one nitpick he’s a main character which is annoying, I don’t like Todd, he’s supposed to be comic relief but I don’t find the character funny, he’s like too stupid, the only problem I have with the show I think.

Up to season 4, this is a pretty good show, kinda depressing at times, some real absolute standout episodes sprinkled throughout.
I don’t think I could do l.a/Hollywood if I lived in America, everything I see about it turns me off the whole thing, really seems like a weird and gross part of the world.
one nitpick he’s a main character which is annoying, I don’t like Todd, he’s supposed to be comic relief but I don’t find the character funny, he’s like too stupid, the only problem I have with the show I think.

I do think Todd did become boring in the later seasons but I was a huge fan of some of his shenanigans earlier on.

Thread was bumped and was hoping for news of a spin-off or something :(

Todd is an exaggerated version of failing upwards - but we like him because of his naivety and pure intentions (even him inadvertently starting an implied genocide is played off in good humour).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back