Prediction Bold Prediction 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought that we obviously have a stronger advantage because of the increased distance and very different shaoed ground than the other teams.

But yes, you're reinforcing my argument for me. Home ground advantage is such an ethereal thing. How do you attribute value to something so vague?

Is our advantage bigger than Adelaide because we have the biggest travel time? Do Adelaide have a bigger advantage because they split the diffsrence between East/West? Is our advantage bigger than Vic teams which share their ground between 10 teams? Is our advantage bigger during finals giving the increased likelihood of us finishing top 6 due to our 'increased advantage' etc.

The entire argument is stupid.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
A few hours? Those extra few hours once a year for the teams coming to us sure must suck.

Out o curiosity, are you capable of talking without taking unnecessary cheap shots all the time? People are allowed to disagree with you.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Prediction:
Freo to regress and finish with about 6 wins for the season. It won't be all bad because we'll be competitive to 3/4 in a lot of games and glimpses of a bright future will be shown. Will go close to finals in 2019.

Darcy Tucker will have a breakout season and firm to be a Mundy replacement with his deadeye kicking ability.

Also the Eagles will lose both derby's and go close to winning the spoon.

On TA-1020 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a home ground advantage for all clubs. Trying to claim an AFL conspiracy when we have arguably the strongest home ground advantage in the competition is arse hattery.

If you believe there’s a home ground advantage for all clubs, as there is in every major professional sporting league in the world (EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, etc, etc), then surely yours is a bullshit argument.

As to your comment in this post, for every home game for WA teams, there is an away fixture. The away ground disadvantage would be the equivalent of the home ground advantage, all things being equal.

I would have thought that we obviously have a stronger advantage because of the increased distance and very different shaoed ground than the other teams.

But yes, you're reinforcing my argument for me. Home ground advantage is such an ethereal thing. How do you attribute value to something so vague?

Is our advantage bigger than Adelaide because we have the biggest travel time? Do Adelaide have a bigger advantage because they split the diffsrence between East/West? Is our advantage bigger than Vic teams which share their ground between 10 teams? Is our advantage bigger during finals giving the increased likelihood of us finishing top 6 due to our 'increased advantage' etc.

The entire argument is stupid.

Your case and arguments are now best described as incoherent.

It definitely matters, but if you are good enough you can overcome it.

If you are good enough to overcome an unfair advantage to the opposition, then yes, you can overcome it. That's deductively true.

The question remains, though, how much better than the opposition do some teams needs to be in order to be "good enough" to win on the day? That's an empirical question involving a whole host of variables, including MCG home ground advantage in finals, incompetent or corrupt umpiring, etc. Such variables are capable of affecting the outcome of matches (close ones especially) in such a way that it makes sense to say "the better team was denied a victory unfairly".

The slogan pedalled by someone on here (not you) that "the better team wins 100% of matches" is meaningless, except as a sop for the masses.

A few hours? Those extra few hours once a year for the teams coming to us sure must suck.

Out o curiosity, are you capable of talking without taking unnecessary cheap shots all the time? People are allowed to disagree with you.

Because Vic teams only travel once a season.

Absolutely people are allowed to disagree, but by the same token, if people want to take multiple pot shots, or continue looking for an opportunity across multiple threads to stick the boot in like a squib (not pointing the finger at you at all ) I'm more than happy play that game. It's a bit rich crying about it afterwards though.

What was it about the post quoted that you found was an 'unnecessary cheap shot?

If you believe there’s a home ground advantage for all clubs, as there is in every major professional sporting league in the world (EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, etc, etc), then surely yours is a bullshit argument.

As to your comment in this post, for every home game for WA teams, there is an away fixture. The away ground disadvantage would be the equivalent of the home ground advantage, all things being equal.
I think I'd made it clear that I don't believe all home ground advantages are created equal?

It's a purely psychological factor, suggesting that all clubs and all players experience it in the same way is contrary to it's very nature.

Edit: HGA doesn't make you run faster, jump higher, or your dick bigger. If one team isn't equipped to perform in the environment that they both face equally, then they're already a lesser team.

Last edited:
If you are good enough to overcome an unfair advantage to the opposition, then yes, you can overcome it. That's deductively true.

The question remains, though, how much better than the opposition do some teams needs to be in order to be "good enough" to win on the day? That's an empirical question involving a whole host of variables, including MCG home ground advantage in finals, incompetent or corrupt umpiring, etc. Such variables are capable of affecting the outcome of matches (close ones especially) in such a way that it makes sense to say "the better team was denied a victory unfairly".

The slogan pedalled by someone on here (not you) that "the better team wins 100% of matches" is meaningless, except as a sop for the masses.
And the narrative that the AFL or umpires are 'corrupt' and attempt to manipulate the outcome of matches, is a baseless argument that stinks of mental health issues.

What proof do you have to support this assertion? None, as you're talking out of your proverbial.

On home ground advantage I reckon for at least a year or two we will have an exceptional home win record. I think teams coming over will find it very difficult to win their first time playing at the new stadium. I'd like to see the stats for away teams winning at a ground they have never played before, I reckon it would be dismal if you take out the GWS & GC first seasons (they weren't AFL quality).

IMO the only way to eliminate any team’s home ground advantage is to play each team twice, once home and once away and there be no finals series but that will never happen.

In a competition with ten teams coming from one state and 23 rounds, the interstate clubs will always be at a disadvantage, especially when the grand final is played in the state where a majority of teams comes from.

Sure we can have an issue with it, what are people’s solution to this? What would you suggest to the AFL given the current fixture structure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So WOW - I’m impressed with this thread and the compelling arguments for and against home ground advantages.

Based on all the evidence presented, with 13 home games for us this year, I predict we’ll finish top of the ladder. It’s the most home games we’ve ever had, so we pretty much have to have our best season ever. Previous best was losing a GF... so my bold prediction extends to winning the flag!

THE TIME HAS COME

Prediction:
Freo to regress and finish with about 6 wins for the season. It won't be all bad because we'll be competitive to 3/4 in a lot of games and glimpses of a bright future will be shown. Will go close to finals in 2019.

Darcy Tucker will have a breakout season and firm to be a Mundy replacement with his deadeye kicking ability.

Also the Eagles will lose both derby's and go close to winning the spoon.

On TA-1020 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd obviously take points 2 and 3 and love it but your first point I'd take too. Sort of.

I can handle us having only 6 wins providing we don't lose any game by more than 40 points and the majority of the losses are below 30 pts, but being in games at 3/4 time and falling away in a lot of games will totally suck. Would prefer a gradually increasing losing margin over the course of the game, that way it would suggest class overcame us not a lack of fitness or being blown away in a small patch of the game or when the pressure was on.

They could play conference home and away fixtures. The issue then is that even if the WA, SA and a handful of Victorian clubs were going to be ranked 9 to 18 two of them would still "win" passage through to the top four of the finals series.
My major problem with a conference system is there will always be one that's stronger than another. You can't compare apples and oranges and treat them as if they're the same thing.

Because Vic teams only travel once a season.

Absolutely people are allowed to disagree, but by the same token, if people want to take multiple pot shots, or continue looking for an opportunity across multiple threads to stick the boot in like a squib (not pointing the finger at you at all ) I'm more than happy play that game. It's a bit rich crying about it afterwards though.

What was it about the post quoted that you found was an 'unnecessary cheap shot?
Your tin foil hat comment towards Crippa was unnecessary.

Won't derail the thread, simply stating that pot shots on here aren't called for.

(learn to multi quote)

IMO the only way to eliminate any team’s home ground advantage is to play each team twice, once home and once away and there be no finals series but that will never happen.

In a competition with ten teams coming from one state and 23 rounds, the interstate clubs will always be at a disadvantage, especially when the grand final is played in the state where a majority of teams comes from.

Sure we can have an issue with it, what are people’s solution to this? What would you suggest to the AFL given the current fixture structure?
Something that would make a small difference is that all Victorian teams should play their fair share (or more than fair share) of fixtures at non-traditional grounds (Tasmania, Darwin, Alice Springs). This would increase travel for Vic clubs and increase exposure to the MCG for nonVic clubs.

Something that would make a small difference is that all Victorian teams should play their fair share (or more than fair share) of fixtures at non-traditional grounds (Tasmania, Darwin, Alice Springs). This would increase travel for Vic clubs and increase exposure to the MCG for nonVic clubs.
Unfortunately will never happen.

The AFL is a business, first and foremost, masquerading as a sporting league.

Non Victorian teams don't draw the crowds in Melbourne. The all mighty cash register rules.

Unfortunately will never happen.

The AFL is a business, first and foremost, masquerading as a sporting league.

Non Victorian teams don't draw the crowds in Melbourne. The all mighty cash register rules.
I do understand that. That doesn't mean it should not be put forward as something that would level the playing field a little.

[QUOTE="IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN, post: 53909647, member: 96049]It's a purely psychological factor, suggesting that all clubs and all players experience it in the same way is contrary to it's very nature.

Edit: HGA doesn't make you run faster, jump higher, or your dick bigger. If one team isn't equipped to perform in the environment that they both face equally, then they're already a lesser team.[/QUOTE]

Horseshit. HGA has a physical factor as well psychological.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back