Prediction Bold Prediction 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Modra was not that tall ( but he had more skill than Kersten will ever have)

You really can't compare people from eras like that. Dunstall wasn't tall either. But he nor Modra never had to contend with the opposition planting 2 defenders in the space he wanted to lead into for the entire game. Modern forwards do, which is why you don't see many 189cm full forwards any more.

Kersten's biggest problem is that he's not tall enough to be a genuine key forward and not quick enough to be a small forward. His main asset is his beautiful kick.

You really can't compare people from eras like that. Dunstall wasn't tall either. But he nor Modra never had to contend with the opposition planting 2 defenders in the space he wanted to lead into for the entire game. Modern forwards do, which is why you don't see many 189cm full forwards any more.

Kersten's biggest problem is that he's not tall enough to be a genuine key forward and not quick enough to be a small forward. His main asset is his beautiful kick.
No one plays the traditional full forward role anymore. Even Josh Kennedy spends time outside forward fifty on long leads. You actually do see a lot of players under 189cm playing as the deepest forward fifty which is what full forward used to be. Dustin Martin plays there a lot, Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Dangerfield, Elliot, Breust, Petracca, R.Gray to name a few who spent time as their teams deepest forward for extended periods last year. The last two premiership teams both rotated players under Kersten's height as their deepest forward. The game seems to have moved on from your idea of how it should be played. Just for the record Kersten is actually very quick on the lead over thirty metres. Ive seen him do sprints at training and watched him in games. One of the quickest on the list over that distance. Im not sure why you feel a need to call him slow. The Worst had an article listing the top speeds for players at West Coast and Freo. Kersten's top speed was quicker than S.Hill's and in the top seven at the club.

Last edited:
No one plays the traditional full forward role anymore. Even Josh Kennedy spends time outside forward fifty on long leads. You actually do see a lot of players under 189cm playing as the deepest forward fifty which is what full forward used to be. Dustin Martin plays there a lot, Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Dangerfield, Elliot, Breust, Petracca, R.Gray to name a few who spent time as their teams deepest forward for extended periods last year. The last two premiership teams both rotated players under Kersten's height as their deepest forward. The game seems to have moved on from your idea of how it should be played. Just for the record Kersten is actually very quick on the lead over thirty metres. Ive seen him do sprints at training and watched him in games. One of the quickest on the list over that distance. Im not sure why you feel a need to call him slow. The Worst had an article listing the top speeds for players at West Coast and Freo. Kersten's top speed was quicker than S.Hill's and in the top seven at the club.
What I've seen is that Kersten is slow off the mark and then builds up speed.

He's fast but not quick.

Kersten is far from perfect, but we finally have someone we can trust to get it through the big sticks.

He might lack the tenacity and mongrel of a ballas/mayne etc..but he’s a handy 2nd foward who has a golden boot.

He’ll find it slightly harder to keep his place than 2017 and will play a few for peel, but I back him in to play the bulk of the season with Freo and kicking 30 plus with hopefully an improved fwd50 delivery.

Seriously, if we are debating Kersten's value I can't decide if it is a decent sign or a terrible sign. For the record, and especially for yakka, if he can develop his defensive side, I think he has a role.

Kersten finished top 10 in the Doig. The Doig is voted for by the coaches. Therefore the coaches must like what he brings to the team.

Indications are he will be a regular in 2018.

Spurr and Barlow finished top 10 in 2016. Barlow was delisted and most wouldn't have Spurr in the best 22 now. Danyle Pearce finished top 10 in 2014 and 2015.

The Doig is heavily weighted towards people who play every game. You get votes just for being on the park. Kersten had the lowest amount of votes to make the top 10 since the count system was changed in 2010.

Spurr and Barlow finished top 10 in 2016. Barlow was delisted and most wouldn't have Spurr in the best 22 now. Danyle Pearce finished top 10 in 2014 and 2015.

The Doig is heavily weighted towards people who play every game. You get votes just for being on the park. Kersten had the lowest amount of votes to make the top 10 since the count system was changed in 2010.
They are also 30 and Kersten is only 24...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory Kersten had an U18 20m pace of sub 2.90 seconds (In fact it was 2.89seconds - see test results below). Also in the top end of repeat sprints. For mine it is the 20m which tests speed off the mark.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2010.htm

I think strength is more of a problem for him.
So why doesn't he get separation on his leads?
It is more timely and setting up his man?
I thought that lack of a few first step was an issue for the lack of separation.

We should finish 6th - 10th but I suspect in reality it'll be 9th - 14th. Our list is good to very good but I'm not convinced our coaching dept is good enough as a whole. Some doubts on our sports science too, we need to have a much better injury record.

We should finish 6th - 10th but I suspect in reality it'll be 9th - 14th. Our list is good to very good but I'm not convinced our coaching dept is good enough as a whole. Some doubts on our sports science too, we need to have a much better injury record.

I am touching wood as I say this but we appear to be off to a better start, than in living memory, on the injury front. We have also replaced some of the nearly always injured crew but fingers crossed as we move into the most important part of the preseason with basically everyone training.

He hasn't though. He had minor surgery at the end of the year like dozens of players do every year. It's not even January and you're already writing off his preseason, because you *want* to believe he won't play.
Wardy, maybe check your facts before you accuse me of making stuff up.

It was a direct quote made by either Lloyd or Bond. What's your problem with me repeating it?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back