Bold predictions season Covid 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs biggest deficiency in my opinion is the lack of small/medium forwards.
Mediums I think we're fine. Gowers, Wallis, Lloyd, Dale, then we have Greene who looks promising, and Dickson if he counts as a medium.

Smalls I guess I'd agree. We have basically none that are AFL-quality. We're developing Cavarra, West and Weightman, but obviously none are regular best 22.

A return to their 2016 form + zero injuries = Western Bulldogs 2020 Premiers.
How the players perform wouldn't be the issue, it would also require the Umps to return to their 2016 form. It's the only time in my 55+ years of watching WAFL and VFL/AFL footy that I've seen a team umpired to a Premiership, and no, I'm not a Bulldogs hater.
It was a bit like, but worse than, 2005 when the AFL needed Sydney to break their Premiership drought, so changed the rules mid-stride so Barry Hall could play in the GF. Even Hall himself said he shouldn't have played. Back to 2016, other than their first final when they absolutely belted us (WC), the rest of their finals saw the most lop-sided umpiring I ever witnessed.

So the season is about to recommence.

What bold prediction do you have on how the season and finals will unfold?

Mine is that this season we will get a surprise premier.

IMO the predictions about who will win are based on a normal season and haven't factored in the challenges and opportunities of this reduced season.

Injuries to key players will be very interesting. Predictions are that the start stop start to the season and the mini preseason will lead to more injuries, something seen before overseas.

The shorter season we have teams playing each other only once, again something different.

Also IMO developing lists get found out as the season drags on. 22 weeks is harder on a younger developing list where a 17 game season not so much.

So my bold prediction for 2020 is the premier won't be one of the favorites.
That was going to be mine, fully agree.

Larger sample sizes (eg. more games) reduce the chance of an upset because the weaker teams would have to outperform stronger teams for longer which is unlikely. Also, shorter games are more likely to cause upsets. Over 80 minutes of football, the better team has more time to correct the margin based on their greater ability. Over 64 minutes of gametime, it's reduced and so it will be harder to come back or grind back margins if teams get an unexpected jump.

The shorter season means the make up of the top 8 will see teams grouped closer together on wins, so a little good or bad luck in a couple of could see teams unexpectedly make or miss finals, this opens up the finals a little bit and in a shorter season.

Wouldn't be surprised if any of the top 8 teams can win the flag by getting hot for a few weeks at the end of the year.

If it ever gets to a GF, GWS to win (dunno if that's bold).

Bold MFC Prediction: Dees to fix our forward 50 entry issue

Bold League Prediction: Jeremy Cameron actually shops himself around via FA (and Essendon or someone like that to offer him a dumb amount of money and on a stupidly long deal).

Tigers won't make top 4 given our game is built upon running teams into the ground - 16 minute quarters will put paid to that.

Gold Coast will win the flag and Jesse Joyce will win the brownlow with 48 votes from 17 games.
Brayden Fiorini will kick 76 goals as a full forward and come second in the Coleman, behind teammate Jarrod Witts who kicks 134

Tigers won't make top 4 given our game is built upon running teams into the ground - 16 minute quarters will put paid to that.
I don’t know about missing the top four, but that’s one of the reasons why I was a little annoyed by the shorter quarters. You could see our momentum towards the end of the quarter being halted by the siren against Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-Port will make the GF. The shorter quarters will benefit them. They were so inconsistent in 2019.

-Grundy the first ruckman in the AFL era to win a brownlow.

-GC will play finals.

-The GC hub will last till end of August.

North actually goes broke and they haul Caro off to the nuthouse anyway

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back