Prediction Bold Predictions ... the 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of his efforts were diabolical but I think the whole hub life and being a boy from the eastern suburbs who didn't cope being away from home needs to be factored in. Maybe he goes full "I'm a stuff up" and burns his career but i think he is more likely to become a NM great over the next decade. Was by far our best talent in the young brigade.
What would the eastern suburbs have to do with his ability to cope?

What would the eastern suburbs have to do with his ability to cope?
Sorry worded that badly. What I meant is he has enjoyed a life around the suburbs he grew up in. One of his cousins is a pro where I play golf and I have gleaned a few things talking to her. People are different. Some are very comfortable in their own area without a desire to explore or see elsewhere. Some have an incurable interest is seeing the world. I think he falls into the former category. More perhaps than a lot of other players the hub may have thrown him right out of his comfort zone.

This year , back in the place he feels comfortable he is likely to thrive. If so we will pay the price.

- Kelly, IQ, Sier and T Brown lock themselves in as best 22 starters.
- Howe to pick up where he left of in 2020 and make the AA side.
- De Goey to stamp himself as one the absolute best in the comp after a brilliant year as a Mid who kicks 30+ goals.

I'm not sure why so many people see Sier suddenly becoming a best 22 player. How many games has he played since the 2018 GF? In any of his games, did he display any ball hunger? In how many games did he put his head over the ball and really go after it?

I was a big fan initially, but having watched him closely at training and in games (admittedly, most on TV) I lost faith in him. He is a big bodied mid, but he doesn't play with any fire or aggression. He doesn't thrive on physical contact in the way Tay Adams does for example. He goes missing too easily once opposition pressure is applied. He is also too quick to dish off a possession and thus his disposals are often inefficient.

It's not just that Sier fans here continue to push the idea of him becoming a first choice mid, but it seems the Club believes this. Why? I'm prepared to admit that I have no idea about the inside machinations of the Club, so the coaches obviously see huge upside, but is this rational? It's one thing to see the potential of Sier, and I was blinded by his smooth movement and long kicking potential, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I think we'll need to look elsewhere to find our ball magnet, inside mid.

I'm not sure why so many people see Sier suddenly becoming a best 22 player. How many games has he played since the 2018 GF? In any of his games, did he display any ball hunger? In how many games did he put his head over the ball and really go after it?

I was a big fan initially, but having watched him closely at training and in games (admittedly, most on TV) I lost faith in him. He is a big bodied mid, but he doesn't play with any fire or aggression. He doesn't thrive on physical contact in the way Tay Adams does for example. He goes missing too easily once opposition pressure is applied. He is also too quick to dish off a possession and thus his disposals are often inefficient.

It's not just that Sier fans here continue to push the idea of him becoming a first choice mid, but it seems the Club believes this. Why? I'm prepared to admit that I have no idea about the inside machinations of the Club, so the coaches obviously see huge upside, but is this rational? It's one thing to see the potential of Sier, and I was blinded by his smooth movement and long kicking potential, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

That's what makes it a bold prediction.

Maynard?

Pies win the 2021 Premiership of course.

No.

jmac70 to be at the game with a glass of full strength beer in his hand watching Collingwood overtake Carlton in their head-to-head record.

Yes 👍

BF to monitor Stephenson and Treloar with one or more longrunning threads that discuss the decision to trade them...You might even see threads for Phillips and Atu.

Yes 👍

Will Kelly will establish himself as Collingwoods most promising forward by end of 2021

No.

I agree with this. He, Moore and mihocek me will become our trident. And like Poseidon wielding it in anger, it’ll cat swathes through opposition back lines.

Another prediction is that McRae wil average 22+ per game and be top 3 in rising star.

can’t wait to see the new youngsters.

No.

Onfield
- Adams takes over the reins as captain in season 2021

No.

- We don’t start off too badly, but we then fall away quickly when things start not going well and our depth is tested.

Hmmm, I’ll pay myself that, yes 👍

Off-field
- We have a mini board exodus in Feb

I’ll count 2 as a mini-board exodus, one was in Feb, yes 👍

- Nick Maxwell becomes footy manager

He shared it for a very brief period between Walsh and Wright, yes 👍

- Ed steps down mid-season (discovers it’s pointless being a lame duck)

Hmm, close, but No.

- Buckley’s contract is not renewed. Maybe he jumps before he’s pushed.

Yes 👍

- Start of a period of upheaval at the club that’ll last a few years (generally happens when a strong leader voluntarily stands down)

Yes 👍

Injuries are always key for us, if we have key personnel available we will contend quite strongly for a premiership. Development form within will deliver that...would be the perfect send off for Eddie.

No.

Sam Mitchell announced Head Coach for 2022 and beyond.

Radar not far off, but No.

Will Kelly to channel the spirit of Nuts Coventry.

No.

Rantell to be the next Geoff Raines

No.

Trey Ruscoe to emulate Allen Jakovich (in his one great year) every year for 10 years.

Ruscoe moved to the backline, No.

Bianco to be our new midget CHB re Daniels from the dogs

Hmmm, no.

Howe to stand on J Camerons fat head and take mark of the ever.

No.

Pies to start a dynasty by pantsing Tigers by 50 points

No dynasty. 16 point win. No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might not sound bold, but it might be a good development year for players and game style

I’ll pay that, Yes 👍

That of course relies on the coaching panel lifting their game, that's the bold bit. Surely now the coaching panel must realize the faults of game style and will have to vastly improve. If they do that then we're in contention, if they don't it's gonna be a long year and may end the careers at the Pies as coaches.

I’ll pay that too, Yes 👍

We get to watch games in person at the G. Hopefully not too presumptuous there.

Round 1 v Bulldogs. I was there at the MCG, and you probably were too, Yes 👍

Daring to dream here, supporters give Ed a standing ovation in the last game which is the GF while Buckley invites him up on the dais to hold cup.

Not. Even. Close.

No.

Last edited:
Jack Ginniven to be Rookie of the year

Unlikely. I’ll say no.

Henrie to be an established forward just like Stepho in his first year.

Stepho year 1: 26 games, 38 goals
Henry year 1: 10 games, 7 goals

No.

A surprising top 8 finish

No.

A much quicker and more direct brand of footy. ( Buckley's job will depend on it )

We eventually did play a quicker and more direct brand of footy.
Buckley’s job probably did depend in part on it.

I’ll pay it, Yes 👍

A few beers at the footy

Yes 👍

DeGoey, Mihocek, Cox and Kelly to kick over 150 goals between them, amd develop one of the most dangerous forward lines in the competition, with JDG having a 60 to 70 goal season.

No and No.

Young guns, McCrae and Rantall to become an integral part of our midfield, as the season goes on.

Macrae, I’ll pay that, Yes 👍

Rantell, No.

Oliver Henry to be labelled a star of the future after some impressive games at senior level.

Probably technically true. Jason Dunstall or somebody else on the commentary probably did label Henry a star of the future to fill in some of the awkward dead time on the commentary while we were getting flogged at some stage of the season - to keep the Collingwood viewers engaged. Yes 👍

Sier to play over 20 games, as he is in the best condition of his career, and finish top 5 in the Copeland.

No.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back