Sports Bolt or Phelps

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to say and I dont think using Phelps gold medals as an argument works. I love Phelps and I love the swimming. I probably like him more than Bolt but I think what Bolt has done is pretty amazing.

Swimmers have so many more events they can enter and compete in, where Bolt is limited to short running. If there were as many similiar variants in running as there are in swimming, Bolt could easily have 10+ gold medals, and only be limited by the amount of events they could come up with.

I think Phelps has dominated his competitors in a greater way, but Bolt is more impressive and has reached greater heights.

Swimmers have so many more events they can enter and compete in, where Bolt is limited to short running. If there were as many similiar variants in running as there are in swimming, Bolt could easily have 10+ gold medals, and only be limited by the amount of events they could come up with.

Exactly, bring in the 100m sidestep, backwards run, skip, and medley and Bolt would be a lot more decorated.

Exactly, bring in the 100m sidestep, backwards run, skip, and medley and Bolt would be a lot more decorated.

What about a 4x Mixed event relay

100m hurdle
200m
400m hurdle
100m

And the runners running 4x mixed distance relay event

800m
400m
200m
100m

What about a 4x Mixed event relay

100m hurdle
200m
400m hurdle
100m

And the runners running 4x mixed distance relay event

800m
400m
200m
100m

For Bolt to compete in the 800m, he has to run around 160km per week. It's like Black Caviar racing in the Melbourne Cup 3200m. With 400m, it's too much hard work. I would love to see him run it.

For Bolt to compete in the 800m, he has to run around 160km per week. It's like Black Caviar racing in the Melbourne Cup 3200m. With 400m, it's too much hard work. I would love to see him run it.

its a relay Bolt only runs the 100m

Blake would run the 200m and whoever else they have run the other legs

bolt for sure.

there are just so many events that swimmers can go in.

i was really hoping after beijing and berlin bolt would go for the 1-2-4 treble in london which would've been outrageous to even attempt, and impossible once they put out the schedule with the 1 and 4 basically running concurrently. but even disregarding the scheduling, he wasn't in the form he was 3 years ago whilst the emergence or yohan blake meant that the 100 and 200 weren't the sort of formalities that meant he could get testing waters.

i still reckon he'd be a great 400 runner. i kinda hope he retires from the 1 and moves up distances. him v kirani james in the 400 in 2016 would be something else i reckon.

probably wishful thinking though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i still reckon he'd be a great 400 runner. i kinda hope he retires from the 1 and moves up distances. him v kirani james in the 400 in 2016 would be something else i reckon.

probably wishful thinking though

I doubt he'd want to be a 400m runner.

Gold medal in the 100m = fastest man in the world.

Gold medal in the 400m = fastest 400m runner in the world.

Poles apart.

Didn't realise you meant relay. I would have Asafa Powell first, since he had the fastest reaction time in the 100m final. Powell is the 3rd fastest man ever over the 100m. Nesta Carter 2nd. Yohan Blake 3rd, and Bolt 4th / final 100m. They would most likely set a world record.

Personal Best for all 4 runners.
Bolt: 9.58
Powell: 9.72
Blake: 9.75
Carter: 9.78.

Powell's anchor leg run was 8.70 in the 208 Beijing Olympic final.

Bolt: London 2012 will be my fastest race.

Bolt this week about the 400m.

"However, he all but ruled out trying the 400m, saying he didn't fancy the "hard work" involved."
"But the Jamaican, famed for his languid running style, indicated that he won't be giving fans the opportunity to see a clean sweep of all the short distance races, including the 400m.

"It is such hard work and I do not think I am ready to work that hard," he said."

http://sport.uk.msn.com/olympics-2012/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=157870325

Bolt by a fair margin. Has been up the top of a tough sport for some time now, in a much more competitive field than the swimming. Number of medals doesn't count for too much for swimmers.

Be better off having Bolt run the 200m and Blake or Powell the 100m. Bolt's top end speed is so much better than anyone else, which is why he has the 200m WR, one that people thought might never be touched after Johnson set it. Also, his starts are his weakest part (by product of being 6'5"), so the longer he can stay flat out, the better.

Not sure of Bolt v Phelps. Phelps is clearly the greatest swimmer the world has ever seen, and Bolt the fastest man (is he the greatest runner is up for debate - Michael Johnson nominated Jesse Owens which was pretty thoughtful IMO). Impossible to settle.

Phelps is the Bradman of swimming. Carl Lewis > Bolt.
Phelps is nothing like the "Bradman" of swimming. There is no way you can argue that Phelps is twice as fast/good as his rivals like Bradman was.

No one is the "Bradman" of their sport. Except Don Bradman, at cricket.

Stat- most women on the internet are really men....
itsatrap

In terms of who has achieved more/is the greater olympian, it's a toss up really and pretty hard to compare. Phelps probably the slightly better case.

In terms of who I prefer, Bolt by a country mile. Not his fault but I found it hard to get excited when Phelps won his 32983rd medal in a relay, whereas I was on my feet shouting at the TV when Bolt was cruising away in the 100m final. Love his antics and personality as well, fist pumping the volunteer in the heats was classic, and when he pulls up 25m from home and still runs 9.87 you just have to sit back in disbelief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back