Sports Bolt or Phelps

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolt has done it in what is absolutely without a bit of doubt the marquee event of the Olympics. Look how good this years field was and he still killed it, amazing

Personally I think Phelps is greater. Running I believe you are born fast, you cannot teach someone of average speed to become crazy fast. Bolt already had champion in his genetics.

The swimming strokes used in the olympics is not a naturally learnt movement. Phelps had to learn and train to become a champion. The fact he is the best over many strokes despite many competitors devoting themselves to just one makes him greater in my opinion.

Bolt.

1. Phelps has only one Olympic Gold medal in an individual freestyle medal. I don't rate swimmers who are the best butterflyers, backstrokers etc as the best swimmers. Only freestyle has the absolute cream athletes, and Phelps has done this once. He is amazing, but 2 freestyle golds are better than all the medleys, butterflies and relays in the world.
2. Phelps' 200m freestyle gold isn't the marquee event (50m or 100m are). Bolt has won the marquees.
3. Swimming has nowhere near the population size of potential Olympic competitors as running.

2. Phelps' 200m freestyle gold isn't the marquee event (50m or 100m are). Bolt has won the marquees.

I don't get this "marquee" stuff. The 100m, 400m, 10,000m and marathon are all very different events, and all are very tough to win. I don't rank Bolt higher than the winner of the 10,000m because the 100m is a "marquee" event.

Basically any individual medal is worth recognition. Surely we can't pick certain ones, call them "marquee", and say one athlete is better than another based in winning them as opposed to others?

Bolt by the Flemington straight

This bloke is a freak and can only win the events which are put infront of him

Its a fair effort to be the fastest man in the world over the 100M in the last 2 Olympics

I was reading another forum and some Americans had a good point regarding why America don't dominate the sprint as much as they probably should.

Most athletes that show amazing natural talent in sprinting generally go into American football because of the culture and the money over there. Potentially some of those guys in the NFL if they had focused solely on their running could probably be in the Olympics.

Not saying that means that any of them would beat Bolt but I think it's just interesting to think about, especially when in Jamaica running is probably seen as a way to make it big.

I was reading another forum and some Americans had a good point regarding why America don't dominate the sprint as much as they probably should.

Most athletes that show amazing natural talent in sprinting generally go into American football because of the culture and the money over there. Potentially some of those guys in the NFL if they had focused solely on their running could probably be in the Olympics.

Not saying that means that any of them would beat Bolt but I think it's just interesting to think about, especially when in Jamaica running is probably seen as a way to make it big.
yep Gatlin who won bronze in the 100m put up a 4.42 second 40 yard dash in his NFL trial which is nothing special. Of course he probably doesnt hit top speed but you never know, some of those beasts in the NFL may have even higher top speeds.

I have that same train of thought.

I've always thought, "why the hell would you get into sprinting?". If I was the fastest man in the world I would choose another sport where you could make much more money, like American Football.

yep Gatlin who won bronze in the 100m put up a 4.42 second 40 yard dash in his NFL trial which is nothing special. Of course he probably doesnt hit top speed but you never know, some of those beasts in the NFL may have even higher top speeds.
It's not really comparable. 40 yard dash is about 35 metres. Having a good 40yd time in a sprinting context just means you are a good starter. To win a 100m race you need to be able to keep accelerating up until the 60m mark or more, then maintain your speed to the finish - that's what most people struggle with.

If you watch Bolt's races, he is a relatively poor starter. It's the middle acceleration phase where he just completely outstrips everyone for pace.

For a more mathematical explanation, this paper on 'the formula for the perfect 100m runner' is interesting. Does a breakdown of Bolt, Gay and Powell's performances by 10m increments and analyses exponential acceleration.

I don't get this "marquee" stuff. The 100m, 400m, 10,000m and marathon are all very different events, and all are very tough to win. I don't rank Bolt higher than the winner of the 10,000m because the 100m is a "marquee" event.

Basically any individual medal is worth recognition. Surely we can't pick certain ones, call them "marquee", and say one athlete is better than another based in winning them as opposed to others?
Of course its the marquee event. 99% of people can tell you who won the 100m sprint and it would be by far the most watched Olympic event

Of course its the marquee event. 99% of people can tell you who won the 100m sprint and it would be by far the most watched Olympic event
The point being inferred was that winning a "marquee" event means that you are a greater champion than a "non-marquee" event. Just because you win the most popular event doesn't mean you are the greatest of champions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't the more popular event have more followers --> more juniors competing --> tougher to win at the highest level

Phelps for me.

As others have said, some are just born with pace. Bolt was one of them. No doubting he has worked extremely hard, though.

I've always thought, "why the hell would you get into sprinting?". If I was the fastest man in the world I would choose another sport where you could make much more money, like American Football.

It's true that most sprinters earn a pittance. Bolt, on the other hand, probably earns more in endorsements than most other sportsmen on the planet.

Phelps for me.

As others have said, some are just born with pace. Bolt was one of them. No doubting he has worked extremely hard, though.
It's no different with swimming, if you aren't born with the right attributes you'll never make it.

Bolt for me, the margin for error in the sprints is far less than middle distance swimming, we're talking hundreths of a second compared to tenths.

It's no different with swimming, if you aren't born with the right attributes you'll never make it.

A high level of pace is harder to achieve then a high level of strength, IMO.

I have plenty of my own examples from being involved in sport from a young age.

Each to their own, though.

Don't want to weigh into this, both transcended their fields like most could only dream about.

However, with regards to bolt running the 400m. He ran it for his entire junior career, and early senior career (and dis very well) and only switched to the 100m in 2007 (a year before Beijing!). I think he had said that training or all 3 simultaneously would've been too much (the 200m has always been his favorite).

My point being - he can definitely run the 400m, at the very highest level. It's a question if he wants to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back