News Bomber Thompson Thread - Police investigation - Post wisely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grant Thomas has shamed Geelong about knowing about his habit and doing nothing. Are there rules that coaches agree to about illicit drugs? Pretty bad either way. A sad time for our club. They should have helped him.
Hadn't heard that and find it an interesting comment. The club must have known- it was referred to on Ch 9 last night with behaviours back in 2009 referenced- but perhaps preferred to ignore, or perhaps he said I am ok or ????.

Hadn't heard that and find it an interesting comment. The club must have known- it was referred to on Ch 9 last night with behaviours back in 2009 referenced- but perhaps preferred to ignore, or perhaps he said I am ok or ????.

He is saying much earlier...

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/d72654184ebbf979b490a38c220e493e

Thomas said on Thursday he first heard rumours of Thompson “using gear” during his own coaching career between 2001 and 2006.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/d72654184ebbf979b490a38c220e493e

Grant Thomas is one of those guys the AFL hates because he doesn't conform to the boys club ethos.

"Using gear" doesn't really tell us much though, although it's not great, you'll find plenty of high functioning corporates "using gear" and you'd be none the wiser.

I'd say it was coke if anything.

Thomas said on Thursday he first heard rumours of Thompson “using gear” during his own coaching career between 2001 and 2006.
I treat anything that comes out of his mouth with a healthy dose of scepticism. He is eternally searching for relevance...

Grant Thomas has shamed Geelong about knowing about his habit and doing nothing. Are there rules that coaches agree to about illicit drugs? Pretty bad either way. A sad time for our club. They should have helped him.
Well, we don’t know firstly how accurate the comments of Thomas are, and then, if they have some truth, we don’t know how much the club tried to help him.

Maybe Grant Thomas should be investigated for crimes against Coaching.

Useless flog - like the Cornes brothers - jump on a story and start spouting s**t to try to make themselves relevant again.

Still pissed clearly that GFC had a successful period and the Saints are still in the wind..

GO Catters

Dumb question.

Would there be any reason to draw a connection between the Stokes incident and Bomber when he was at the club? Or was that entirely separate? People might have known things but kept them secret for personal reasons all the same.

Dumb question.

Would there be any reason to draw a connection between the Stokes incident and Bomber when he was at the club? Or was that entirely separate? People might have known things but kept them secret for personal reasons all the same.

I get the question here but this is the kind of muck racking that could go pear shaped so very easily.

Its just total speculation.

Go Catters

Yeah fair point. Had a bloke ask me at work, and I said it was all unrelated. People are always going to connect dots (which may or may not be there).

He is saying much earlier...

I don't think Thomas is saying anything that's untrue in any major respect, to be honest. He's just repeating the situation as he saw it throughout his tenure, and saying that the club can't say they knew nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as rumours I've heard go.
2004 - start of recreational drug use, not out of line with anything the AFL players get up to
2008-2009 - concerning drug use
by 2013 it was well known, and heavily discussed by club and AFL employees. Basically, anyone working even remotely near an AFL club knew this was happening. The way it was discussed, it certainly didn't seem like rumours, just accepted facts.

I hadn't heard of anything pre-2004, but who knows, it could have been happening continually since his early playing days.

Well he was asked to stay by Costa, who may have been keeping all of this out of the press or respecting the privacy of Bomber.

So don't think they didn't do anything; they really most likely did.

Just want to point out that when he left, Watson was pressuring him to go to Essendon for over 10 months.

So there were a lot of factors at play. Whether he just got lost in the stress of it all, who knows. But to jump at something that clown Thomas stated is a bit myopic.

My thoughts are on Thomas, that he had the exact issue inside the Saints, but seemingly he tells us everyone knew about Bomber.

Yeah ok, why didn't he say anything years ago when he 'knew' or 'everyone knew'?

He's an ambulance chaser.

Thomas didnt address the drug issue within his own club which his president at the time has admitted to
thomas is looking for publicity

one sydney play was honest about drug use and everyone laughed at him
truth and lies

at the end of the day, the afl has a putrid drug culture
and the too many commentators are on the same stuff the players are

this story will never be reported with honesty

Well he was asked to stay by Costa, who may have been keeping all of this out of the press or respecting the privacy of Bomber.

Just want to point out that when he left, Watson was pressuring him to go to Essendon for over 10 months.

So there were a lot of factors at play. Whether he just got lost in the stress of it all, who knows. But to jump at something that clown Thomas stated is a bit myopic.

My thoughts are on Thomas, that he had the exact issue inside the Saints, but seemingly he tells us everyone knew about Bomber.

Yeah ok, why didn't he say anything years ago when he 'knew' or 'everyone knew'?

Well anything could have been going on-happy to say it’s all just guesswork on my part. Hard to imagine the club would have hired him if his serious recreational drug use predates his time at Geelong. If he started during his time at Geelong, he was apparently, according to the quality of his coaching, unaffected by the drug use for most of his tenure at Geelong. So it can’t have been too bad.
One assumes the club would have tried to stop it, for his sake and the club’s sake, if it was out of control. Maybe that’s what 2006 review was about after all-shape up or ship out? Who knows?
He was doing a great job for many years and 2010 was the first time I thought he made some strange calls in the coaching box
For Watson to have been chasing Thompson for so long, I assume he didn’t have a problem that affected his functioning.
And in terms of helping serious drug users, well. It’s one thing to try and quite another to have success with that.

Last edited:
It is, but Stokes was forgiven pretty quickly too.
spent half the year in the reserve if I recall correctly

May have been forgiven in regards to his contract ect but the leadership group went hard on him

And what he did was very minor and stupid, the police investigation used him for publicity because of his profile and the fact they ended up uncovering * all despite months/year of work.

Not quite right if you are referring to 2006- Brian cook has been upfront that in the matter he had to make a choice between Bomber and Loris and made the call that it was easier to replace a fitness coach than the senior coach. And the club paid out for unfair dismissal/ And in terns of Costa I suspect he didn't have a clue about much at all because in 2010 in the morning of the day that Bomber announced that he was leaving he said that he would be staying-"IO spoke to him last night"!
It was certainly well known by 2014 when the Essendon appointed Bomber against the advice off the CEO who resigned only days later.

Maybe Grant Thomas should be investigated for crimes against Coaching.

Useless flog - like the Cornes brothers - jump on a story and start spouting s**t to try to make themselves relevant again.

Still pissed clearly that GFC had a successful period and the Saints are still in the wind..

GO Catters
But perhaps he has got it right because even the great Hird has come out and said we all knew he had a problem.

Thomas

one sydney play was honest about drug use and everyone laughed at him
truth and lies

at the end of the day, the afl has a putrid drug culture
and the too many commentators are on the same stuff the players are

this story will never be reported with honesty

Your right - Dale Lewis told them - and they mocked him

One observation - if you are a risk taker and into drugs - why would you start when you turn 50

I think it would be easy to restart using or ramping up use when you're older if you have cash and spare time. Take the example of Charlie Watts of the Stones, was pretty straight hanging around with that group, and then got hooked on heroin for while when he was about 50.
At the risk of being facetious, people start looking for hobbies...

I think it would be easy to restart using or ramping up use when you're older if you have cash and spare time. Take the example of Charlie Watts of the Stones, was pretty straight hanging around with that group, and then got hooked on heroin for while when he was about 50.
At the risk of being facetious, people start looking for hobbies...

I had to google Charlie to see how he coped as I had no idea he had a problem. With Wood and Richards as examples of what drug and/or grog abuse can do to you I felt sure that he was too smart to get caught up in drugs. Anyway, I had to laugh at this story on Wikipedia:

"One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts' hotel room in the middle of the night asking "Where's my drummer?". Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my ******* singer!""

I had to google Charlie to see how he coped as I had no idea he had a problem. With Wood and Richards as examples of what drug and/or grog abuse can do to you I felt sure that he was too smart to get caught up in drugs. Anyway, I had to laugh at this story on Wikipedia:

"One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts' hotel room in the middle of the night asking "Where's my drummer?". Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my ******* singer!""
I heard that story, effin classic :)
Charlie's a jazz cat, I guess. Heroin's been in that scene forever.
Point is, you're never too old. I've haven't done anything stronger than booze since the 80s, mostly due to local draconian laws and availability. Last year I traveled back to the US to a state that has legal pot. I could easily get back into the swing of things if I moved back there, even in my advanced age :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back