Status
Not open for further replies.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm wondering if the Bombers are potentially risking two seasons needlessly.

Let's say (hypothetically) the Bombers are guilty and they now know it, but continue to play out the season. What if the whole investigation is done and dusted come round 20 and the Bombers are sitting nicely in the 8, but they suddenly lose 6 (or more) members of the side and as such their finals campaign goes bust, and their 2014 season is also shot as the players sit out 6-12 months.

Now I am wondering if the Bombers stood aside the 6 (or more) players right now would ASADA/WADA take that on-board when sentencing, and allow these players to return in round 6 next year? That could mean the side gets 20 more games in to some younger players and come this time next season they have a full side back on the park plus 6 (or more) youngsters blooded and adding depth to the team in 2014?

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycl...s-sixmonth-ban-for-doping-20130503-2iy7z.html

I'll bump my own thread. Matt White voluntarily stood down and was subsequently banned for six months. The ban was back dated to the date of him stepping down. Six months have passed and he is now free to continue in cycling if anyone is willing to hire him.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that it's because he stood down, hence he effectively suspended himself and spent the 6 months out of the sport, no doubt cooperation played apart in the leniency.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that it's because he stood down, hence he effectively suspended himself and spent the 6 months out of the sport, no doubt cooperation played apart in the leniency.

And that's my point - Essendon might have been able to sit out this season and been at full strength for next season. Now, they might miss out on this season and next season.

Makes me wonder what the Bombers would be doing re: voluntary standing down if they'd only won a game or two. Or if they'd consider standing down if they reached a point in the season where they were, for example, 7-5 with a large injury list.

And that's my point - Essendon might have been able to sit out this season and been at full strength for next season. Now, they might miss out on this season and next season.

Makes me wonder what the Bombers would be doing re: voluntary standing down if they'd only won a game or two. Or if they'd consider standing down if they reached a point in the season where they were, for example, 7-5 with a large injury list.

Fair point.

Would also depend on the number of players involved to. Half a dozen and it's feasible, but if you can't field a team that would effect the afl tv rights, might not be an option that the afl will allow them to consider.

Alternatively, they might think they have a good chance of beating it, and roll the dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back