Club Mgmt. Bombers eSports - Licence sold to Pentanet.GG - 2/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I like to consider it a sport when you can directly influence your opponent and hinder their performance.

That definition has its holes but its what I like to use.

Chess, motor racing, esports; all of them you can beat your opponent.

Stuff like dancing and synchronized swimming and equestrian, you just do stuff freely and get a score.

Track and Field? Throwing a Javelin has no influence upon another person throwing a Javelin...

I like to consider it a sport when you can directly influence your opponent and hinder their performance.

Stuff like dancing and synchronized swimming and equestrian, you just do stuff freely and get a score.

Sport definition wise normally does imply physical exertion, but I think the meaning of the word has changed.

I think your definition has some holes, and I don't fully agree with it, but its subjective.

My main issue is often when this discussion comes up saying something is "not a sport" is normally taken badly by those that participate in that activity and the people saying it often mean it to be so. That the activity is somehow lesser.

I like to rely on the competitive part of the definition for that reason.

And yet the former are independent competitions, and the latter are/have been at the olympics at various times. In fact most olympic sports don't really fit your definition... track and field mentioned above, swimming, shooting, skating, weight lifting, gymnastics, ski jumping, diving...

It is a very fuzzy line though. Like what isn't a sport? That's probably easier to categorise xD

And yet the former are independent competitions, and the latter are/have been at the olympics at various times. In fact most olympic sports don't really fit your definition... track and field mentioned above, swimming, shooting, skating, weight lifting, gymnastics, ski jumping, diving...

It is a very fuzzy line though. Like what isn't a sport? That's probably easier to categorise xD
gymnastics is basically dancing and weight lifting is literally in the name.

When it comes to track and swimming you are still competing directly next to them and can affect them. (Middle lanes for swimming are best for minimum wash)

i did say it has holes

I think to be a sport it has to be a competition with rules, skill and a way of keeping score.

Dancing for enjoyment, driving around a track, shooting some hoops and kicking goals aren't sports... they're leisure activities. But if you put it in a competition with scores and everything, it's a sport, and with those examples at least, adding a competitive aspect also leads to increased physical exertion, fitness, skill and strategy.

But not everything with rules, skill, score and competition is a sport... is it? Card games, competitive knitting, cake baking competitions?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sport

Physical exertion and skill. I guess there is physical exertion to some extent in esports...

Words change their meaning overtime.
As our society evolves we have developed our mental capacity and become more intellectual. We have moved from not just feats of strength but to feats of the mind.
As that has occurred various competitions evolve based on that, these also (in the case of esports) may involve high reflexes or various other fine motor skills. As these become popular to view, with prize money and competitions why cant they be called a sport?

Is lawn bowls a sport?

Yes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Words change their meaning overtime.
As our society evolves we have developed our mental capacity and become more intellectual. We have moved from not just feats of strength but to feats of the mind.
As that has occurred various competitions evolve based on that, these also (in the case of esports) may involve high reflexes or various other fine motor skills. As these become popular to view, with prize money and competitions why cant they be called a sport?

Yes
I guess they can! I wasn't arguing that esports isn't a sport, I was just putting up the definition for everyone to make up their own minds ;)

How would things like long jump, javellin, discus etc fit?

:p
I guess they can! I wasn't arguing that esports isn't a sport, I was just putting up the definition for everyone to make up their own minds ;)

So I miss out on a debate? Damn

FWIW, I think this is a fantastic initiative by the club.

For a start, I think it is symptomatic of the 'new' Essendon - which is driven at an administrative level by the principles of 'what can we do different, what can we do better'?

It's a low risk, potentially high yield endeavor that requires (in the grand scheme of things) very little skin in the game.

I hope the club continues to look to diversify its interests - with one caveat; that we do not forget that our core function is to consistently drive to have the best senior mens AFL side in the game.

Based on what I've seen so far over the last several years, we are doing that very well.

:p

So I miss out on a debate? Damn
1aedd7f46e45c72258b3c36f156ca684519863225130e8d3aa42e903dc22c6b9

Apparently the season starts this week when Bombers take on Avant gaming 5pm on Sunday. It seems like the team will be called Bombers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...s/news-story/bcb4769f87bbf465ee5219b166f96b38

I really have no interest in gaming, nor have I ever watched or played LoL before (don't even know what type of game it actually is), but I think I'll try watching it this Sunday to see what this is all about. Highly doubt that I'll get into it, but I guess I can try.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back