News Bombers To Poach Dan The Man?

Remove this Banner Ad

can already tell essendong think they have the flag sewn up based on their off season staff and player recruits. patting each other on the back before rd1. give it about an 87% chance these softies dont make the top 10 next year

I've always hated him because whenever people spoke poorly of him I thought they were talking about Matthew Richardson which would make me cross.

Also upon seeing the thread title I instantly thought of Dan Butler and Dan Rioli, so I was relieved to see it wasn't about either of them.

#DanRichardsonOut

Never forgiven this bloke for his buck-passing onto the Tiger faithful...after 36 years all we had left was pride in our loyalty and patience, and the dude trashed it instead of being accountable for the FD's performance. Was a really low moment for the club, and that's saying something. Happy those days move even further behind us.

I didn't realise Essendon had poached him for their manager of football position, isn't that the position we basically demoted him from to bring in Balme?

I reckon he'll be missed from a list management and salary cap perspective but I wish him luck at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This makes you look back at the trade period and wonder was Dan really trying to do anything for us then or already working for Essendon??

Having said that, we probably didn't want any of the players they took and did really well out of the draft by all appearances at this stage, but moves at this time of the year just make you wonder.

More importantly who do we have or who can we get to replace him?

Is it late in the piece for making these sorts of appointments?

St. Kilda still don't have a GM of Football after losing Bains to the Dogs and the Bombers only signed Dan yesterday so it's not that unusual to be looking for someone at this time of year.

I'd imagine with Balme's experience and connections we'll find someone shortly. Blair could be a good fit although his strength isn't salary cap management & contracts which is what Dan brought to the table.

Maybe we'll bring someone in from a sport management perspective in the same way we got Dan on board? like a Robbie D’Orazio or Scott Lucas?

I read the fine print of Dan's new contract at Essadon. He's in charge of their new E Sports. EFC obviously misread Dan's resume Elite Sports Properties
:oops:

Can I ask a serious question: Of the Premiership 22 on our list how many can & will Dan take credit for? Does the fact that he was there for some of the list mean we have to soften our dislike of his failures over the years?

Last edited:
This makes you look back at the trade period and wonder was Dan really trying to do anything for us then or already working for Essendon??

Having said that, we probably didn't want any of the players they took and did really well out of the draft by all appearances at this stage, but moves at this time of the year just make you wonder.

They say he's a man of integrity. Hope so, as he knows what all our players are being paid. If there's any bad blood, we could find ourselves being raided.

These guys are professionals (well technically), they don't do things to sabotage the club.
Even if he was intending on leaving, he still needs to get the job. Makes no sense to sabotage a club and then not get a gig elsewhere.
That said I don't rate him and happy for him to leave. The only part of the gig he wa good at was handling and managing contracts and it's no coincidence we won a flag within 12 months of Balme taking over.
Richo's comments last year about not being able to handler a full rebuild were poor and out of sync with what everyone else at the club was saying.
Best he go .. Balem is our guy!
I suspect Essendon will soon discover he's not thast good.

They say he's a man of integrity. Hope so, as he knows what all our players are being paid. If there's any bad blood, we could find ourselves being raided.

Im a critic of him, but the one thing ive heard no question of is his loyality and commitment to the club. I have no doubts he will act above board, simply because it would go against everything he has done previously

After all, he took a demotion on the chin and didnt bitch/leak to the media or internally as most others in the industry do

This is a good point...but maybe other people at our club were really making the decisions this trade period. There should be a good player or 2 out of the 6 or 7 players that have joined this draft period.

EFC did heavy trading to get Saad, Smith & Stringer. Which was the scenario at RFC at end of 2016. I looked at the names Prestia and Caddy and thought WTF? We've been reamed. Oh how wrong!!

For a young up and comer in the business you could do a lot worse than spend a few years under Balmey. A great opportunity for someone.

Administrators are just like players and coaches ....... they leave all the time, and armed with plenty of information on their former club .... but the world still goes on. I think player salaries are a lot more transparent through the AFL than you would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back