Bones Jones VS USADA

Even if Jones test was from the previous sample, not sure it sends a good message message by letting him compete with something in his system, irrespective of effect or amount.

One thing is for sure, the technology and administration of anti doping as far as MMA is concerned, still has a loooooong way to go.
The problem is that, as far as testing protocols go, no league in the world has such a comprehensive and strict system... and the more we learn, the more it becomes a joke. This system everyone has massive questions about right now is literally the gold standard. Let that ******* sink in.

Between the Russians/WADA stuff and some of the bullshittery seen in the UFC, it is clear the entire anti-doping 'effort' is a lost cause.. and it is only becoming harder to win.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
One thing is for sure, the technology and administration of anti doping as far as MMA is concerned, still has a loooooong way to go.

I’d much prefer it the way it is (USADA) than before without nothing but the system is clearly flawed. Fans somewhat know who is cheating even if they aren’t officially charged with it.

The UFC dont want suspensions as it doesn’t help them, so there’s this push to not have them.

When I starting looking at the sport I thought it was the one thing that stood out the most in comparison to other sports. What doesn’t help is one of the key faces of MMA is unquestionably Joe Rogan and he seems to have this largely inconvincible attitude that a number of fighters aren’t using performance enhancing drugs.

This Novinsky JRE is a ******* joke... they were better off leaving all of this just to be speculated about.

some of it makes sense, but there are still so many holes.

3 failed tests with a HUGE spike on December 3.

and using a former accountant/investigator, now UFC employee, to explain the chemistry that even he claims he doesnt know much about is pure horse s**t.

I’d much prefer it the way it is (USADA) than before without nothing but the system is clearly flawed. Fans somewhat know who is cheating even if they aren’t officially charged with it.

The UFC dont want suspensions as it doesn’t help them, so there’s this push to not have them.

When I starting looking at the sport I thought it was the one thing that stood out the most in comparison to other sports. What doesn’t help is one of the key faces of MMA is unquestionably Joe Rogan and he seems to have this largely inconvincible attitude that a number of fighters aren’t using performance enhancing drugs.

Oh yeah I agree entirely, just pointing out it's still amateur hour as far as MMA is concerned, and until USADA get their s**t together or UFC change their culture, fighters are going to continue to push the boundaries.

Does anyone actually care that he “snitched”? I don’t love that snitching gets you a reduced sentence but you gotta have something on the table to get the info but legitimately if it wasn’t Jones say it was Condit or someone we all love would we care that he turned evidence?

Yeah I don't care about the snitching either, more its out in the open the better.

Reduction he's gotten taking into account is just mindblowingly out of whack though, add to the fact he has something in his system still and both UFC, CSAC, and USADA have no issue with it is disgraceful.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah I don't care about the snitching either, more its out in the open the better.

Reduction he's gotten taking into account is just mindblowingly out of whack though, add to the fact he has something in his system still and both UFC, CSAC, and USADA have no issue with it is disgraceful.

Agree 100% on all of the above

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
When you realise what WADA and USADA (or ASADA) actually are, all of this makes sense. But even for someone who has no silly illusions like me, the blatant corruption involved in this case is kind of shocking.

It would take me too long to go through every one of the lies involved in this case but the whole thing is fascinating.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Hmm...

Remember how most of us thought the UFCs decision to stay silent (dated Sept. 29) was in relation to Brock's return?

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/9/29/...-violations-before-case-is-resolved-mma-white

So they knew way back then before the fight was announced. They just needed the time to create the story to explain the result away as nothing more than 'pulsing'.

Courtesy of a poster on reddit for joining the dots..

Last edited:

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Forgive the ignorance here but how does the amount go from 0 to 9 to 18? I sure a pecogram is not even worth worrying about but how on earth does it go up if he’s not ingesting it
‘Pulsing’

Hmm...

Remember how most of us thought the UFCs decision to stay silent (dated Sept. 29) was in relation to Brock's return?

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/9/29/...-violations-before-case-is-resolved-mma-white

So they knew way back then before the fight was announced. They just needed the time to create the story to explain the result away as nothing more than 'pulsing'.

Courtesy of a poster on reddit for joining the dots..
in the UFC's defence, they didn't know back then, but USADA did.

The is actually what gives the pulsing a shred of credibility, if any, for me.

USADA wasn't confident in laying down a penalty on those two original adverse findings and needed more data. the fact it spiked to 60 or 80 (whatever it was) so close to the fight is what is super dicey.

Either way, its clear no one knows anything, and USADA is destroying their reputation, one way or another.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
in the UFC's defence, they didn't know back then, but USADA did.

The is actually what gives the pulsing a shred of credibility, if any, for me.

USADA wasn't confident in laying down a penalty on those two original adverse findings and needed more data. the fact it spiked to 60 or 80 (whatever it was) so close to the fight is what is super dicey.

Either way, its clear no one knows anything, and USADA is destroying their reputation, one way or another.
At this point it is very hard for me to separate the UFC and USADA such that they wouldn't be sharing that sort of info. Especially given the anomolous dates mentioned in my post above. It could be all a coincidence that the UFC announced it would be keeping test results quiet a couple of weeks after jones test result and a couple of weeks before the announcement of. the Jones vs Gus fight.

Interestingly in an interview after the presser Ariel asked jones if he was aware of the test result in August to which Jones replied "yeah.... yeah" immediately interjected by Malki Kawa, Jones' manager who said Jones didn't know. Also weird that Jones would get that wrong..

There's also this piece which suggests the UFC/USADA relationship could be a bit different than your standard sports league/drug agency one.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12...et-exemptions-from-drug-testing-peds-steroids

I could be wrong but I'm just putting some anomolous pieces together here. UFC can't escape scrutiny here in my eyes.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s complex enough that I’m sure there is an out, that coupled with the fact that at least one commission is willing to license the fight and the explanation as to why Nevada wouldn’t is semi believable makes the whole saga “sort of” palatable to any educated fight fan but it lives (even at its most defensible) in a real ugly gray area.

What bothers me the most is the casual fan or even the “ufc is a disgusting bloodsport” people have yet more ammo to chide the sport.

The other part that I find pretty surprising is that with Jones history and the whole cocaine test they knew about before the fight thing with him that the ufc would risk this again. If jones pisses hot post fight here this circus blows up in the UFC’s face hard.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Jones supposedly got his 232 test back and they were completely clean, no “picograms”. Great, good for him. He then proceeds to go on insta and give Gus a bit of lip about it, something along the lines of “this was all Gus wanted to talk about in the lead up”, again, probably a little tasteless given they seemed to bury the hatchet post fight but fine. THEN he limits the comment replies so Gus can’t respond.

He’s just so childish.

So Jones supposedly got his 232 test back and they were completely clean, no “picograms”. Great, good for him. He then proceeds to go on insta and give Gus a bit of lip about it, something along the lines of “this was all Gus wanted to talk about in the lead up”, again, probably a little tasteless given they seemed to bury the hatchet post fight but fine. THEN he limits the comment replies so Gus can’t respond.

He’s just so childish.
also, in terms of supporting USADA's assertion that this metabolite can stay in the system for years and that it peaked due to the increased exercise and weight cut, shouldn't a picogram show up due to the weight cut and fight?

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

He’s just so childish.
Not a pico to be seen.
Nothing too harsh said on Instagram. And Jones has had his comments limited for quite a while now (too much negativity in the comments, I guess)..probs just has it set so that the people he follows can comment.

Calling jones childish is just funny.. I guess that makes just about everyone in the fight-game childish, Especially nugget McGee.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not a pico to be seen.
Nothing too harsh said on Instagram. And Jones has had his comments limited for quite a while now (too much negativity in the comments, I guess)..probs just has it set so that the people he follows can comment.

Calling jones childish is just funny.. I guess that makes just about everyone in the fight-game childish, Especially nugget McGee.

Didn’t say it was harsh, in fact specifically said it was fine, it’s childish and immature cause he won and it shows again that Jones can’t understand of the criticism (they moved a whole event to a new state just to accommodate an issue with your test). Also childish to call someone out then not allow them to reply cause you limit your replies (the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and yelling LALALA). Also you can’t call this “hyping” cause if thenother guys can’t respond it doesn’t work, plus he won so no one is clamouring for the rematch.

Yeh, McGregor is childish as are a lot of guys who choose to fight for a living but until his Brooklyn stunt he was generally likeable, Jones just isn’t. He lived with the tag of being “fake” for a long time and I for one supported his “heel” turn, I still prefer to see him being his actual self over the fake Christian good guy Schtick he used to peddle, but damned if im not gonna call our self righteous, childish behavior when I see it. Dudes head is so far up his own ass it’s truly staggering he hasn’t fallen back into his old ways yet.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
also, in terms of supporting USADA's assertion that this metabolite can stay in the system for years and that it peaked due to the increased exercise and weight cut, shouldn't a picogram show up due to the weight cut and fight?
I’ve got no idea, whether letting him fight was the right or wrong call (happy to say the CSAC made the right decision) the process and communication around it is very, very odd, as are the explanations and circumstances. If Gus had shown the picogram it’s likely a failed drug test, Jones shows it and it’s fine cause we know he failed a drug test before... really odd to me...

Back