News Bonner and Farrell sign contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Bonner actually had a pretty good season. He's nowhere near as soft as many make out. My only beef is he's good for 1 or 2 nightmare kicks a game

Yes a bit of perspective needed from some.

His season was an upgrade on Pittard's last attempt here, there's a direct comparison, and unlike Pittard while he was here most folks will concede there is still time for Bonner to show *some* upside.

Yes a bit of perspective needed from some.

His season was an upgrade on Pittard's last attempt here, there's a direct comparison, and unlike Pittard while he was here most folks will concede there is still time for Bonner to show *some* upside.
Speaking of Pittard, Robbie Gray mentioned today how sad he was when Pittard left last year as they were close.

Bonner actually had a pretty good season. He's nowhere near as soft as many make out. My only beef is he's good for 1 or 2 nightmare kicks a game

He's doing a fine job as our Jasper replacement, with all the positives and all the negatives that entails.

And 2 times getting caught holding the ball a game

One thing I've noticed with Riley compared to other players is that most players upon being tackled will just get rid of the ball ASAP or try to drop to the ground and force a ball up, whereas Riley will always try to break the tackle, which gives umpires the impression of there being 'prior opportunity' even where there was none. It's something that would have been coached out of him at a good club.

Riley Bonner-Pittard

Happy to see both re-signed.

3 years is a lot for Farrell, the club must rate him a lot higher than I do!

I understand why people get mad about contract lengths, but we have no idea of the details of the negotiations.

3 years could easily come back to bite us, but there would have been a reason for that length.

You never know how contract lengths are going to look by the time we're done. For example if we'd given Karl Amon a four year extension in 2016 rather than a three year this board would've hung, drawn and quartered Chris Davies at the end of '18. But in hindsight having that extra year on his contract would've actually been enormously helpful.
Yes but can you think of any PAFC contracts that looked dangerously long at first that ended up being good value?

Yes but can you think of any PAFC contracts that looked dangerously long at first that ended up being good value?

There's literally an example of one in the post you quoted m8

But yes, there are definitely more examples of the long contracts backfiring than vice versa. Amon is the exception, not the rule.

There's literally an example of one in the post you quoted m8

But yes, there are definitely more examples of the long contracts backfiring than vice versa. Amon is the exception, not the rule.
Yeah

And re: your example, I don’t take a hypothetical four year contract as a relevant example when the criticism is of the long contracts we do actually offer, not the ones we don’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to see both re-signed.

3 years is a lot for Farrell, the club must rate him a lot higher than I do!

I understand why people get mad about contract lengths, but we have no idea of the details of the negotiations.

3 years could easily come back to bite us, but there would have been a reason for that length.
What is the $ value of the contract? These two are not going to be on great coin. After all its not like we are breaking the bank on these guys, like we are on the big-name recruits!

Giving them tenure of contract will help their development IMO. I am quite happy with the call

Remove this Banner Ad

Back