Rumour Bontempelli drama at AFL Combine

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yes, because Bontempelli was totally rated as a number 1 draft pick back in 2013 and wasn't seen as a bit of a reach by the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs weren't the only club that considered reaching for him. He was never going to be pick 2, but he was considered in that 4-6 range by a few clubs (just was not a consensus league view).

I heard his parents said they'd do anything to have him drafted to the Bulldogs .... and I'm mean 'anything' !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bont was asked by the recruiting guy from an unnamed club what was the worst thing he'd ever done and he replied, I was rude to my sister. The guy thought he was joking and not taking the interview seriously. Mr and Mrs Bont were NOT impressed. Melbourne?

Of course the Bulldogs selecting him was a drafting masterstroke, the same as Jarrod Grant. I mean, Bontempelli was nicked from a suburban league playing in his older brother's Lotto boots, wasn't he? A truly remarkable draft story.

Bont was asked by the recruiting guy from an unnamed club what was the worst thing he'd ever done and he replied, I was rude to my sister. The guy thought he was joking and not taking the interview seriously. Mr and Mrs Bont were NOT impressed. Melbourne?

Haha, jeez that answer has always infuriated me ever since I first heard it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A friend of mine was at that combine in '13. Sat down for an interview with the Melbourne recruiting staff where they went over some vision of his TAC Cup highlights. When the tape finished, Neeld turned to him and said something along the lines of "You think you're pretty flashy huh? There isn't a ******* chance you'll be playing like that if we choose to draft you, you understand me? Not a ******* chance."

My mate essentially got up and walked off whilst telling Neeld and co to go and shove it.

A friend of mine was at that combine in '13. Sat down for an interview with the Melbourne recruiting staff where they went over some vision of his TAC Cup highlights. When the tape finished, Neeld turned to him and said something along the lines of "You think you're pretty flashy huh? There isn't a ******* chance you'll be playing like that if we choose to draft you, you understand me? Not a ******* chance."

My mate essentially got up and walked off whilst telling Neeld and co to go and shove it.

Bizarre. I think Mark Williams had a bit of form in this regard too when he was at Port.

Out of interest, did your mate end up on a list?

Oh yes, because Bontempelli was totally rated as a number 1 draft pick back in 2013 and wasn't seen as a bit of a reach by the Bulldogs.

Essendon had him at number one.

Macrae is an outside squib to be honest. Hasn't improved in years.

Then again people love guys like him and Stephen Hill these days so who knows.
Posted for proof of sheer ignorance

The story I heard was that Mr & Mrs Bont, (aka Joseph & Mary) were told they could spend a fortnight in a luxury hotel anywhere in the world and MFC would pick up the entire bill in return for Bont agreeing to be drafted to the Dees. Upon arrival Mr & Mrs Bont were informed that the hotel had been overbooked but they were more than welcome to sleep in the stable.

Clearly crap as once he nominates for the draft he goes to which ever club takes him.

Of course the Bulldogs selecting him was a drafting masterstroke, the same as Jarrod Grant. I mean, Bontempelli was nicked from a suburban league playing in his older brother's Lotto boots, wasn't he? A truly remarkable draft story.

Question - what are you actually upset about here?

Posted for proof of sheer ignorance

He meant to say.......

lead_960.jpg

IIRC Paul Roos was on record saying that even if they had kept pick 2 that Josh Kelly was not the player they would have selected.
In the first year after that trade it looked like the Dees had struck gold, Dom Tyson looked like a future super star and there was/still is plenty to like about Salem.
Tyson hasn't really come on as expected, to be fair think it's mainly due to injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back