Review Bontempelli magnificent but the Dogs fall short. Lions 98 d Bulldogs 80

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane were more composed, used the ball better, had better F50 structures and had we kicked straight it would have been bloody close.

Find the best forward coach available, pay them double their current salary and watch the flags roll in...

We are very close to a flag tilt, just need a couple of tweaks....

Now that I’ve seen us live this year, I understand why we lose some games.

Suckling (please delist), Cordy (wtf), JJ and Wood were deplorable. We are lucky that we didn’t lose by a lot more.

Bont is unbelievably good. Possibly one of the best I’ve ever seen, he almost singlehandedly got us back into that game.

The amount of times we slipped over (which not many lions seemed to do) and the amount of times we didn’t attack the ball was definitely the difference.

Make no mistake, we had every opportunity to win that game, despite being woeful in the first half. That one went begging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Another unpopular opinion but Macrae and Hunter will always be poor players in games like this until a) they both take responsibility for having shots at Goal and b) they have the chip kick mentality beaten out of them... they both cost us greatly tonight and were two of the chief offenders in turning over the ball to the opposition via wayward kicks.

Odds on he was that annoying kid with the smackible face up the back of the class, swinging on his chair, carving genitalia on the desk and shooting spitballs at nerds.
Hey! You just described half of my Year 9 English class at Parade College twenty years ago! I miss those days.

Another unpopular opinion but Macrae and Hunter will always be poor players in games like this until a) they both take responsibility for having shots at Goal and b) they have the chip kick mentality beaten out of them... they both cost us greatly tonight and were two of the chief offenders in turning over the ball to the opposition via wayward kicks.

Good luck with that. The way they kick is a direct consequence of them finding a way to compensate for their inability to kick the ball much beyond 45 metres with any sort of penetration. It was the one knock on Macrae's stellar junior record.

No doubt that hunter is left open by the opposition quite regularly. Teams don’t mind letting him have the ball wide on that left wing.

I’m pro Hunter. His running is insane and his toughness is underrated. But he’ll never be dangerous ball in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait for this season to be over. Need a big list cleanout and start our next rebuild. Trengove, Wood, Cordy, Suckling, Dickson and Lloyd all gone please. If Suckling is still at the club next year I won't bother following football.

May not be a popular opinion but Suckers shouldn't be anywhere near the backline. Should play forward or not at all, just turns it over too much and isn't very good defensively
At the very least, we can't afford to have Suckling, JJ and Daniel all in the same backline. Each offers something individually, but having all 3 means we leak goals something shocking

O
How did you guys see lipinski’s game??

Encouraging signs for mine. 5 tackles, 19 touches and a goal. Shame he butchered that forward entry in the second term when we had guys loose, but another step forward overall IMO.
Best game lippa has played for the last month. He was hot particularly in the first half when we were terrible. Some positive signs. Just wish he had Richards’ pace.

Thirdly ad the one that in my view is killing our move up the ladder. We just do not have enough mids that are willing to take on the responsibility of having a shot at goal as they seemingly would much rather pass it to a professional goal kicker or indeed anybody else inside the forward line. They just s**t themselves when approaching the 50 meter arc and look for some of the dumbest passes to teammates who are 20 metre away

This, absolutely. I doubt there has ever been a modern AFL team that gets so few goals from its midfield. It's pathetic. Not only can they not hit a forward target, they refuse to have a shot themselves. You'd think that having at least one leg able to shoot from the 35m to 50m range would be a requirement of any professional footballer.

No doubt that hunter is left open by the opposition quite regularly. Teams don’t mind letting him have the ball wide on that left wing.

I’m pro Hunter. His running is insane and his toughness is underrated. But he’ll never be dangerous ball in hand.

While. I agree with your sentiments, he is currently a liability. He can't kick for goal, and he isn't damaging with his kicks, and he is a turnover king at critical moments, especially going inside 50...

He needs to be spoken to about this glaring deficiency. He should be dropped until these flaws take a 180 degree turn around

This, absolutely. I doubt there has ever been a modern AFL team that gets so few goals from its midfield. It's pathetic. Not only can they not hit a forward target, they refuse to have a shot themselves. You'd think that having at least one leg able to shoot from the 35m to 50m range would be a requirement of any professional footballer.

Macrae and hunter couldn't make the distance from 40 out..

From a different perspective,

Today they played the team 3rd on the ladder in Brisbane, which hasnt always been a happy hunting ground, and pissed away a winnable game because of inaccuracy in front of goal and some poor matchups and skills. The sky isnt falling. They have beaten Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Lions (earlier) lost to Collingwood by 14 & 9 and didnt get blown away by Brisbane today with the poor showing of skills and misses.

We're closer to finding the right mix than many would think. Whilst the losses earlier to Carlton, GCS and Freo have come back to bite us

We will give Bont the praise but Macrae works just as bloody hard.

Gotta be happy with the effort shown in the last half. We could have easily rolled over.

If Naughton can consistently kick like he did in the 2nd half he will be a 50+ a year goal kicker.

Honourable mention to Schache! Really impressed tonight.

Easton wood and Zaine Cordy are a massive worry against a tall and athletic forward line.

Next week off a 6 day break after a physical contest tonight won’t be easy.

Bailey Smith had a really solid game.

And last but not least. Bont is the best player in the game. An absolute magician.
Desperately in need of a genuine No 1 KPD
Need to get one in trade preferably or draft if not achieved

Remove this Banner Ad

Back