Review Bontempelli magnificent but the Dogs fall short. Lions 98 d Bulldogs 80

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae works just as bloody hard

Matthew Boyd MKII ??? Another hard gut working player who gave his all, yet when played on the ball was never near damaging enough in his game. I see that in Macrae as well.

Bont was dragged off the ball multiple times. Disappointing.

Opening bounce of the last quarter, poor bloke got sodomised & Brisbane got a goal out of it all. Had we got the first, it would have been massive

Great to see Trengove stand up for Dunkley

Agree, and equally bad to see Macrae try to calm the situation down with Robinson instead of getting into him like Trengrove did. One of the worst things in the game imo.

From a different perspective,

Today they played the team 3rd on the ladder in Brisbane, which hasnt always been a happy hunting ground, and pi**ed away a winnable game because of inaccuracy in front of goal and some poor matchups and skills. The sky isnt falling. They have beaten Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Lions (earlier) lost to Collingwood by 14 & 9 and didnt get blown away by Brisbane today with the poor showing of skills and misses.

We're closer to finding the right mix than many would think. Whilst the losses earlier to Carlton, GCS and Freo have come back to bite us
Finally someone said something sensible :rainbow:

Matthew Boyd MKII ??? Another hard gut working player who gave his all, yet when played on the ball was never near damaging enough in his game. I see that in Macrae as well.
Macrae is an outstanding user with terrific vision,when you have 40 you are going to miss your mark sometimes. You need to go back and look at his disposals throughout the season, watch a few replays.

I have never been a great believer in match day coaching. No matter the level you will make moves that work and those that don't. You win your brilliant you lose you are a dud.

Successful coaching is developing enough players to lead on the field. Football is a game of moments and taking more of those moments than your opposition.

In 2016 we had numerous players that stepped up and took those moments. That is what distinguished that team from the prelim finals teams.

That is what cost us tonight and what this group needs to develop if we are to challenge again. We need to develop leaders that want to take on the big moment and not leave it to a few.

There are too many poor examples this evening but many have been mentioned. Bont cannot do it alone 6 to 8 more need to develop and be coached to be those leaders in moments in games.

We are not far away, we just need those leaders on the ground to step up an we are the team in the top 2 not where we are now and where we will finish this year

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just a question... but do you always go to the opposition board each week and talk them up?
Reverse psychology my friend

Helps me lower my expectations. I also expect oppositions to beat us every time.

If we get beaten by the Sun's, clearly the opposition have a pretty good chance of beating us

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think Wood is becoming a real issue. Earlier in the year he was being asked to play too tall, so maybe he gets a pass there, but since Trengove has been in I don’t think that can be used as an excuse.

He doesn’t get much of the ball, and when he does he’s not a great user. I understand you can’t really drop a captain, so my guess is Bont is captain next year and Wood ends up in the twos for a while.

On the game, you just can’t give a good team a four goal start in the first. Game was lost there, as have many of our games been through anaemic starts and/or shitty conversion.

Credit to Brisbane, they exposed our weaknesses and they play exactly how they should with their personnel. They’ll get shown up in finals by better inside mid groups but they’re exciting to watch.

We have a glaring need for another quality KPP - I don’t believe those Moore rumours are true and doubt he would ever come to WO, but that’s exactly the type of player we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae is an outstanding user with terrific vision,when you have 40 you are going to miss your mark sometimes. You need to go back and look at his disposals throughout the season, watch a few replays.

Its not about whether or not his disposals hit the mark, its more about how he uses his disposals - which often are small chip kicks and handballs. The lots of short kicking is what often brings the attack undone and playing too indirect often allows the opponents defense to shut down any options.

Its not about whether or not his disposals hit the mark, its more about how he uses his disposals - which often are small chip kicks and handballs. The lots of short kicking is what often brings the attack undone and playing too indirect often allows the opponents defense to shut down any options.
There is a big difference between fluffy pointless handballs bringing attacks undone compared to what Macrae does. He has extremely good hands, which he can get the ball to teammates in dangerous positions very quickly.
And chip kicks being "not damaging" as a blanket statement is incorrect. Sometimes it's the right decision.
Macrae is a very damaging player. He has an excellent footy brain and regularly makes great decisions. Just because he doesn't have a long, penetrating kick doesn't mean he isn't damaging.

Macrae is on another level and is seriously underrated in the AFL. No one in the league uses the ball better by hand and he has a deadly left foot.

Sure he turns it over 5 or so times a game but that's because he's getting 35+ disposals. His contested and clearance work is mouth-watering, his turnovers are not our problem and nothing to worry about.

His goalkicking is an odd one, When he does take shots he is very accurate. He's had 21 shots for 11 goals (52% (well above competition average)) since R1, 2018. He is ranked #5 for Goal Assists in 2019 which is a huge positive. Essentially just needs to be more initiative when I50.

Hunter on the other hand has fallen off a cliff. His turnovers are hurting us really bad and his goalkicking has been atrocious. Since R1, 2018 he's had 38 shots for 12 goals (32% (-20% on Macrae))

Cam Mooney just said Neale probably winning the Brownlow after dominating today. What?
I thought he had a purple patch in the third quarter and was close to Brisbane's best.
Brisbane won the game and the way the umps have been conditioned to vote (by the idiot media) is that the winning side must have had the best player. Ergo Neale a strong chance for 3 votes. Considering how many games Brisbane have won this year he must be close to favourite.

What Bont did was almost at another level but if your side loses the best you can hope for is usually 2 votes.

Oh and if the umps genuinely give votes to the fairest and best then Mitch Robinson wouldn't have got any today. It'll be interesting to check back on this game after the Brownlow count and see how they actually called it. Noting that Razor Ray was one of the umps it'll probably be something totally from left field.

I think there has been too much criticism of our defenders in this thread.

People need to remember that we play a very committed press which aims to keep the ball in our forward line but exposes our back line if the ball is turned over.

We lost this game through wasted opportunities going forward and poor kicking for goal (again).
Sure our defenders made some mistakes but not as many as our midfield and forward line.

I think there has been too much criticism of our defenders in this thread.

People need to remember that we play a very committed press which aims to keep the ball in our forward line but exposes our back line if the ball is turned over.

We lost this game through wasted opportunities going forward and poor kicking for goal (again).
Sure our defenders made some mistakes but not as many as our midfield and forward line.
I understand that aspect of the defensive side of things. Our game plan, risks, turnovers, fast breaks on the rebound etc. I think its more the fact stats have backed up that our defenders lose to many one on one duels, some in the lower ranks of the league. But even when the ball is turned over, there was one play in the second half where they got the ball back near our 50, kicked it long forward, the play where one of our boys jumped up to clear it, colliding with a Lions player, ball spilled out, ended in the Lions hands as our other player near by slipped over and the ball bounced to them. Now that's enough time to locate your man and get to him. When the Lions kicked it inside 50, our defenders were STILL METERS away from their opponent. That's what frustrates me is why on the slower breaks, we are still miles off our man. That's when it becomes unacceptable in my opinion.

I thought he had a purple patch in the third quarter and was close to Brisbane's best.
Brisbane won the game and the way the umps have been conditioned to vote (by the idiot media) is that the winning side must have had the best player. Ergo Neale a strong chance for 3 votes. Considering how many games Brisbane have won this year he must be close to favourite.

What Bont did was almost at another level but if your side loses the best you can hope for is usually 2 votes.

Oh and if the umps genuinely give votes to the fairest and best then Mitch Robinson wouldn't have got any today. It'll be interesting to check back on this game after the Brownlow count and see how they actually called it. Noting that Razor Ray was one of the umps it'll probably be something totally from left field.
I'd be very surprised if Bont or MacRae aren't in the votes, they were excellent. With two goals, 24 possessions, six legal tackles, 2 frees for and none against, in a crucial performance for the winning team, I would think Robinson would also be in the votes.

We got one goal between our 3 main small forwards (Dale, Lloyd, Dickson).

This was always going to be a problem.

That’s such a slow, limited group. We desperately need some speed and goal kicking power, which is why I was so so keen on Wingard.

I really think jack martin can go up several levels in a team that wins the ball as much as we do. Really hope we get him.

Better ball use in the first half we win. To the boys credit they never ever give up which shows the making of a good team. Andrew's apparently gave naughton a bath? What game were they watching? With better ball use in the first half and naughton with his kicking boots on he kicks 5 on him... he had 10 marks and was clearly on top. Marcus Adam's played rubbish as .

Schache was great he is a different player now and his development is extremely pleasing. Crozier is unbelievable as well. Whilst disappointed to lose the future with this group is clear to all to see. Iron out the youth inconsistencies and we are one of the top teams in the comp. Ride the lows now it will make the upcoming success feel sweeter when we are all celebrating a flag together

I think Wood is becoming a real issue. Earlier in the year he was being asked to play too tall, so maybe he gets a pass there, but since Trengove has been in I don’t think that can be used as an excuse.

He doesn’t get much of the ball, and when he does he’s not a great user. I understand you can’t really drop a captain, so my guess is Bont is captain next year and Wood ends up in the twos for a while.

On the game, you just can’t give a good team a four goal start in the first. Game was lost there, as have many of our games been through anaemic starts and/or s**tty conversion.

Credit to Brisbane, they exposed our weaknesses and they play exactly how they should with their personnel. They’ll get shown up in finals by better inside mid groups but they’re exciting to watch.

We have a glaring need for another quality KPP - I don’t believe those Moore rumours are true and doubt he would ever come to WO, but that’s exactly the type of player we need.
Inside mid groups don’t get any better than the Dogs. It’s the one feather in our cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back