Bontempelli's hit on Haynes

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If it's confirmed Nick Haynes has a fractured larynx, wonder if the AFL will appeal this.....yeah, sure they will.

GWS Nick Haynes might have a fractured larynx as a result of a weekend clash that saw Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli handed with a $2000 fine.
If scans confirm a fracture, Haynes will likely miss between two and four weeks.

Low impact - tick.
Weather or not it could cause serious damage - tick.
The medical report was taken into account - tick.

I like the Bont, but the system still looks after the Brownlow favourites.

If Bont hadn't already accepted the fine the AFL could refer it to tribunal.
Bont lucky, there wasn't malicious intent there but injury outcome is a factor they seem to weigh heavily.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh look if the paperwork is lodged in time... I mean waiting for scans...who has the time for that? I wouldn't even dig deeper into why scans were needed either if I was on the MRO.

Next thing you will be telling me they suspend people for potential to cause injury or size differences? Crazy talk!

whatis

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Haynes played out the rest of the game...
Injury probably caused by the Bont contact, but is that provable?

Weird because players often play out the game, play the following week, and the medical report always seems to do us in. I'm certain we've copped several suspensions over the last two years due to delayed, minor concussion etc. Haven't seen this incident yet by the way, anyone have a link to footage?

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
"If you elect to bump and you collect a player high… a punishment will be determined based on how popular and grouse a bloke you are."

That's the current interpretation of the rules as I understand it. :thumbsu:
Yes - Substitute the Bont with another player not in Brownlow contention they get a week. Or someone like a Mitch Robinson type player they get a minimum of 2 weeks.The sooner they change the Brownlow eligibility the better. Just pick a number anything from 1 to 4 weeks i could live with.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Injury shouldn’t be used as a deciding factor of punishment
Of course it should. What world do you live in?
If you drunkenly run your car off the road do you expect the same punishment if you clip some blokes arm to if you plough through half a dozen kindergarten children?

Of course it should. What world do you live in?
If you drunkenly run your car off the road do you expect the same punishment if you clip some blokes arm to if you plough through half a dozen kindergarten children?

Totally different, but ok. In footy physical contact is expected, in what appears to be your world I'm not sure if the kids expect to be mowed down by a drunk driver.

Look at it this way, lets say someone leaves the ground to bump & gets someone in the head. The player gets up, isn't affected & plays out the game.
Someone else leaves the ground to bump, gets someone in the head which knocks them out & they miss another week or two. Personally I feel it should be graded on the intention & the act, not the result.

Back