Bontempelli's hit on Haynes

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Never seen so many Dogs supporters in one place. Bont is lucky, didn't look like much but late, high and resulted in a serious injury.

Interestingly I am sure last year there was a week when the MRO findings were much later than usual as they were waiting for a medical report from a club.

Cruiserweight Champ

ENT Expert
Jul 21, 2007
Melbourne, AU
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
haven't read many posts so I might be repeating the opinion I have.

Watching the game on tv, and the many replays that followed --- its clear that Bont has run towards Haynes at speed to try and smother his kick. As soon as he realises that Haynes will kick the ball before he can smother/touch it----you can see he immediately pulls up, while obviously momentum still keeping him moving forward towards Haynes----he then puts both arms straight up in the air to avoid tackling and/or hip and shouldering him, which would result in a down the field free kick.

It was Bont's action of raising both arms in the air which struck Haynes in the throat that caused his injury. Also Bont is not even looking at Haynes when he he is struck, so it was just a freak accident.

I have never seen him in a 125 games try to hurt an opponent illegally.

Tom Mitchell deliberately elbowed Goldstein last year, but got off.

Gaz---well three strikes and you get a week, and the luckiest bloke to get off, was Nat Fyfe's deliberate brutal elbow to the head of Tom Lynch (Richmond), when he could have either tackled or kept his elbow down and side bumped. I am a Fyfe fan like most AFL supporters but he has been given the very lucky 'not guilty' decisions in years when he won the Brownlow or top chance to win.

Cruiserweight Champ

ENT Expert
Jul 21, 2007
Melbourne, AU
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Never seen so many Dogs supporters in one place. Bont is lucky, didn't look like much but late, high and resulted in a serious injury.

Interestingly I am sure last year there was a week when the MRO findings were much later than usual as they were waiting for a medical report from a club.

If Bont is lucky then Fyfe is blessed----if your boy Roo ran through Haynes like he did Dean Kemp, then he should have been gone for half a year..

lets move on ---he got fined---which was fair..I've seen king hits get less.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
wasn't malicious or anything but boy he is pretty lucky to not get a week.

Did Lachie Hunter's Dad voice his thoughts on the matter?

The fact you guys still can't let that go is hilarious. You do realise that after Lindsay Thomas left that he was still getting suspended for his piss weak late dog shots?? Maybe you could somehow link it to being in his character & there is nothing wrong with calling it out?

May 15, 2007
Central Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how many Haynes ends up missing.

My prediction - less than ‘expected’.

What’s up Doc?

Self-quoting, self-congratulating post but oh well, who's gunna do it for me?

What a shocking turn of events this is :rolleyes:and what a shocking pack of scumbags the GWS hierarchy are. Issuing fraudulent medical certificates so a mate can go surfing for the day is one thing, but this is next level.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
This all turned out OK for everyone. Bulldogs can’t complain because Bontempelli didn’t get suspended and Giants happy because Haynes is back and all Bulldogs miss the next six months.

BernieBrown

Debutant
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Bont hadn't already accepted the fine the AFL could refer it to tribunal.
Bont lucky, there wasn't malicious intent there but injury outcome is a factor they seem to weigh heavily.
I reckon intent has to be the primary factor. These blokes all getting a week for split second bumps that go wrong is rubbish.
Then along comes Toby Greene with all the malicious intent in the world in sustained head high contact and he just cops a fine! Go figure.

BernieBrown

Debutant
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why do you 'feel' that?
He broke a rule designed to prevent injury. It caused injury. For all we know he intentionally crushed the blokes larynx, or intended worse.
But of course nobody but him knows his intentions. But we do know his actions and their consequences.
Does Bont have a record that suggests that was his intention? If it happens again I will consider that but a one off I'm giving him the benefit this time. Anyway, AFL owe us for taking Chris Grant's Brownlow in 97 in a match where umps said he had not warranted a report.

BernieBrown

Debutant
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looks innocuous enough I guess but my understanding was that any illegal action (free kick was paid) that causes injury was automatic weeks.

Edit: Or for that matter even close enough to causing an injury. For example Naitanui was famously suspended for an in-the-back tackle last year. Or McGovern being suspended for a late, non-high bump that caused a player to fall into a plastic chair on the boundary etc.
Who understands the Tribunal system anymore?

BernieBrown

Debutant
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Riddle me this... Harris Andrews goes for a week when a player runs at him and he braces to protect himself. Bont goes hard at a player that is off guard and off balance after the kick, yet nothing to see here. The AFL is a joke.
The Harris Andrews one is a total joke

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does Bont have a record that suggests that was his intention? If it happens again I will consider that but a one off I'm giving him the benefit this time. Anyway, AFL owe us for taking Chris Grant's Brownlow in 97 in a match where umps said he had not warranted a report.
The Bont has a history of attributing intention to others. He gets to be judged by these standards.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You guys get a lot of mileage out of 1 comment on the radio that one time when he was 19. And it's not as if he was wrong was he. Time to get over it, it's beyond pathetic to keep whinging about it.
Bont good (and always of the best intentions, even when taking cheap shots). Greene bad. Thomas bad.
Have I got it right?

Back