Opinion Boogate - The Adam Goodes Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched NRL360 - Dean Widders was on for NRL Indigenous Round and he spoke really well, very inclusive. Goodes could learn a few things from him.

Is it acceptable to boo Goodes for making Selwood's 250th all about him, or is that racist? He's on the fecking banner ffs. Poor ducky

Let me put this way.

Booing strikes me as something that, 99% of the time, takes place spontaneously in reaction to something that's happened during the game. It doesn't strike me as something that people spend an inordinate amount of time inventing reasons, many of them completely spurious, over. It just happens. Usually after someone belts another player, or trips them, or remonstrates loudly.

That people seem to be reaching more and more desperately with every day that passes, trying to invent reasons that aren't racist, strikes me as pretty sad.

It's booing. Targeted, repetitious, pack mentality booing that is entirely the opposite of spontaneous.

It's booing. It is not the heinous denial of some cornerstone human right. Goodes has said the booing hurts him. Why you'd want to keep this up for any reason other than to be a bad person in one way or another, whether racist or not, is beyond me.

Lol "people are trying to invent reasons that aren't racist"

Sorry Doss I cant have a serious convo with you on this if that is your POV

Lol "people are trying to invent reasons that aren't racist"

Sorry Doss I cant have a serious convo with you on this if that is your POV
Mate, stop taking me out of context and trying to misrepresent what I am saying.

I am not trying to imply everyone who has booed him or does is racist. Do I need to make that clear yet again?

My point was, people are reaching and coming up with some fairly bizarre justifications for the behaviour.

And that if people need to search that hard for reasons to boo someone, it's just a bit pathetic.

I dont think anyone is really reaching hard to come up with reasons to boo him. Most people seem to boo him because they think hes a flog - this is apparently not sufficient as decreed by the pro-Goodes moral arbiters.

I would classify dragging up some reason about Selwood's milestone, another player who is not especially popular himself because of the way he plays the game, as reaching. Maybe that's just me though.

I do think you're determined to paint people into a corner, though. To make out that everyone is making it about race. The fact you bumped this thread with that hypothetical kind of supports that.

Let me state this once and for all; I do not think everyone who boos him, or has booed him, is racist.

I do think there are a minority who are, though, given when all of this began to take off. And the longer this goes on, I cannot work out why anyone would want to continue associating themselves, however indirectly, with those sorts of people.

At best, it is ugly pack mentality behaviour that has taken on a rather unpleasant mien.

The wankfest has reached, somehow, a new pinnacle tonight.

Here's hoping the Norm Smith Medal becomes the Adam Goodes Medal at the end of the year just to cap it all off. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised.

Still getting booed.

dean20cry_zps099318a7.gif

I would classify dragging up some reason about Selwood's milestone, another player who is not especially popular himself because of the way he plays the game, as reaching. Maybe that's just me though.
Dragging up? It's highly topical given I posted it a few hours before the game, when I found out about the banner.

I do think you're determined to paint people into a corner, though. To make out that everyone is making it about race. The fact you bumped this thread with that hypothetical kind of supports that.
I'm making the point that it is not about race, it's about Goodes personally, and the bringing of race into it by Goodes and his supporters is a disgrace.
The way he has handled the last 2 weeks is a great example of why people think he's a flog.

Dragging up? It's highly topical given I posted it a few hours before the game, when I found out about the banner.

I'm making the point that it is not about race, it's about Goodes personally, and the bringing of race into it by Goodes and his supporters is a disgrace.
The way he has handled the last 2 weeks is a great example of why people think he's a flog.
Never ******* happened.

If it's because he's a "thug", why wasn't Campbell Brown booed consistently week after week?
If it's because he's a "stager", why wasn't Matthew Lloyd booed consistently week after week?
If it's because of both of the above, why hasn't Lindsay Thomas booed consistently week after week?

The timeline is clear from after he's called out racism and was magnified after he won AOTY for his work on Aboriginal Rights. Now tell me how you can possibly think that racism HAS NO ******* PART?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never ******* happened.

If it's because he's a "thug", why wasn't Campbell Brown booed consistently week after week?
If it's because he's a "stager", why wasn't Matthew Lloyd booed consistently week after week?
If it's because of both of the above, why hasn't Lindsay Thomas booed consistently week after week?
Completely false logic.
It's clearly an accumulation of many different reasons among many different people - it's not a single reason for a single entity.

The timeline is clear from after he's called out racism and was magnified after he won AOTY for his work on Aboriginal Rights. Now tell me how you can possibly think that racism HAS NO ******* PART?
Well the timeline isn't clear as I have been told the following are all the truth:
1. He has been booed incessantly his whole career
2. He has only been booed incessantly ever since ape-gate
3. He has only been booed incessantly ever since he was given AOTY
4. He has only been booed incessantly since the war dance
5. The booing was above and beyond anything he has ever experienced in his career since the Hawthorn game.
6. He is booed all game every game
7. He is only booed when he touches it
8. He was only booed by West Coast after the push in the back on Schofield and cheap shot on Yeo

Most of these come from people who do not watch Goodes' every game so can only be speaking from a position of relying on other people's claims - i.e. hearsay.

Mark Fine actually went back and watched 7 hours of Goodes' games this year and had a very different claim about the booing.

So which is it? What is the 'truth'? Or does it not matter, as long as you are showing how much better a person you are compared to these mythical racists?

Racism being 'a part of it' is essentially meaningless. Chances are wherever a black person is criticised there is someone with a racist reason for doing so - why would that minority take precedence over the vast majority which is not racist? Does this mean nobody can have a negative opinion about a black person lest they are providing cover for racists?

Let me put this way.

Booing strikes me as something that, 99% of the time, takes place spontaneously in reaction to something that's happened during the game. It doesn't strike me as something that people spend an inordinate amount of time inventing reasons, many of them completely spurious, over. It just happens. Usually after someone belts another player, or trips them, or remonstrates loudly.

That people seem to be reaching more and more desperately with every day that passes, trying to invent reasons that aren't racist, strikes me as pretty sad.

It's booing. Targeted, repetitious, pack mentality booing that is entirely the opposite of spontaneous.

It's booing. It is not the heinous denial of some cornerstone human right. Goodes has said the booing hurts him. Why you'd want to keep this up for any reason other than to be a bad person in one way or another, whether racist or not, is beyond me.

Top post mate, well said.

yeah as above - did anyone watch the Cats v Swans tonight and how did the crowd react?

the amount of booing at WC/Haw game tonight was comical - it was non-stop throughout the entire match.

Let me put this way.

Excellent post but I can't believe we are still having this discussion.
Most of the booing I have seen prior to the last two years was reserved for umpires more so than players, particularly at the end of a quarter. Don't like the booing of umpires at any time, but just my opinion and I know some see it as part of the theatre.

Last edited:
I had heard that some sections of the geelong crowd had already decided they were going to boo him well before the game so I'd be interested to hear what ended up happening

I had heard that some sections of the geelong crowd had already decided they were going to boo him well before the game so I'd be interested to hear what ended up happening
I watched a bit of the game. Parts of the second and third quarter. There seemed to be scattered booing but nothing significant.

I'm not sure whether it's this whole saga just making it more obvious but it seems to me that there is generally more booing across the league since this whole thing blew up.

Yeah, probably. It wouldn't surprise me if people have seen all the booing and started to pick it up as acceptable practice whenever they feel like it

I've attended local senior football games since a young age through my dad, my husband and my oldest son and booing is something I've very rarely encountered. Maybe it's because in local footy there is really no anonymity due to the small crowds and everyone knowing each other

I've attended local senior football games since a young age through my dad, my husband and my oldest son and booing is something I've very rarely encountered. Maybe it's because in local footy there is really no anonymity due to the small crowds and everyone knowing each other
There are also no chants either, no tense moments, basically the games dont mean as much to as many people as they do at the highest level.

Completely false logic.
It's clearly an accumulation of many different reasons among many different people - it's not a single reason for a single entity.

Well the timeline isn't clear as I have been told the following are all the truth:
1. He has been booed incessantly his whole career
2. He has only been booed incessantly ever since ape-gate
3. He has only been booed incessantly ever since he was given AOTY
4. He has only been booed incessantly since the war dance
5. The booing was above and beyond anything he has ever experienced in his career since the Hawthorn game.
6. He is booed all game every game
7. He is only booed when he touches it
8. He was only booed by West Coast after the push in the back on Schofield and cheap shot on Yeo

Most of these come from people who do not watch Goodes' every game so can only be speaking from a position of relying on other people's claims - i.e. hearsay.

Mark Fine actually went back and watched 7 hours of Goodes' games this year and had a very different claim about the booing.

So which is it? What is the 'truth'? Or does it not matter, as long as you are showing how much better a person you are compared to these mythical racists?

Racism being 'a part of it' is essentially meaningless. Chances are wherever a black person is criticised there is someone with a racist reason for doing so - why would that minority take precedence over the vast majority which is not racist? Does this mean nobody can have a negative opinion about a black person lest they are providing cover for racists?
Your take on this is baffling.

The fact you think Mark Fine is worth listening to explains all sorts of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back