Opinion Boogate - The Adam Goodes Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
by the time he becomes eligible for legend status this booing saga will be a thing long gone from the past.

I expect direct HOF entry, but no legend status for a decade or 2.

A great career. It would have been nice if he just agreed to a farewell lap, gave the 99.5% percent of fans out there a chance to say thanks and congratulations on a brilliant career. But I guess refusing generates more drama and here we are.

A great career. It would have been nice if he just agreed to a farewell lap, gave the 99.5% percent of fans out there a chance to say thanks and congratulations on a brilliant career. But I guess refusing generates more drama and here we are.
Fletch did the same thing don't forget.

I booed him round 1 because of his comments regarding our players and integrity re ASADA.

However, when he was booed last year after the Collingwood game I got up and had a crack at Essendon supporters. I mean Michael Long anyone? What happened when he took a stance against Monkhurst was a great moment in Australian public life and it was because our club supported him. I believe it's why we see such rules in cricket now and claim that our club has had an effect internationally.

Goodes was upset at the time and pointed her out. He accepted her apology and almost defended her because of her age. Yet somehow he was made out to be the bad guy. McGuire poured petrol on it ... yet somehow that was Goodes fault as well.

Yep Aussie of the year for a sportsman is pretty wanky. So lets boo Waugh and maybe Gilchrist too then. Not because Waugh was one of the most selfish batsmen of all time running out team mates but because he dared to receive an award.

Goodes definitely sounds a bit up himself when he talks, so what. That's his voice. Everyone I know who have met have said he's a complete gentleman.

I also understand there is a massive "I'm not going to be told" bogan element to it all. FFS, let's not get too caught up with the diving. You can boo them at the time. However, let's get stuck into Grimes. Still pissed off about 3 he got in the dreamtime game this year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

People don't like being called out for being racist. Especially when they're doing something that's been done for decades. There's a lot of angst there, but I'm sure a lot of it was due to the colour of his skin.

All of that aside. It's both a good and bad thing to come out of his career. He's a champion of the game and didn't deserve all of the fallout relating to it. On another note it's brought indigenous affairs back into the limelight to be taken seriously.

Well played Adam. Hopefully he sticks around in some capacity.

by the time he becomes eligible for legend status this booing saga will be a thing long gone from the past.

I expect direct HOF entry, but no legend status for a decade or 2.
Yeah wouldn't expect guys like Goodes and Judd to go straight in as Legends. The way the criteria works, I'd rather they do the older guys first.

I booed him round 1 because of his comments regarding our players and integrity re ASADA.

However, when he was booed last year after the Collingwood game I got up and had a crack at Essendon supporters. I mean Michael Long anyone? What happened when he took a stance against Monkhurst was a great moment in Australian public life and it was because our club supported him. I believe it's why we see such rules in cricket now and claim that our club has had an effect internationally.

Goodes was upset at the time and pointed her out. He accepted her apology and almost defended her because of her age. Yet somehow he was made out to be the bad guy. McGuire poured petrol on it ... yet somehow that was Goodes fault as well.

Yep Aussie of the year for a sportsman is pretty wanky. So lets boo Waugh and maybe Gilchrist too then. Not because Waugh was one of the most selfish batsmen of all time running out team mates but because he dared to receive an award.

Goodes definitely sounds a bit up himself when he talks, so what. That's his voice. Everyone I know who have met have said he's a complete gentleman.

I also understand there is a massive "I'm not going to be told" bogan element to it all. FFS, let's not get too caught up with the diving. You can boo them at the time. However, let's get stuck into Grimes. Still pissed off about 3 he got in the dreamtime game this year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree with most of this, but you're crack at Steve Waugh was unnecessary. I'm not sure what's selfish about making runs under pressure and being the most successful test captain ever? And just to cap it off, giving up your time to raise millions for those living in poverty in India when you retire with almost no fanfare. Tough crowd..

I agree with most of this, but you're crack at Steve Waugh was unnecessary. I'm not sure what's selfish about making runs under pressure and being the most successful test captain ever? And just to cap it off, giving up your time to raise millions for those living in poverty in India when you retire with almost no fanfare. Tough crowd..
It wasn't a crack at Waugh. It was a crack at people who say they boo him for AOTY.

Steve was selfish. He used to farm the strike and screw up all tempo for the bloke at the other end.

Has Fletch rejected a vehicle lap on GF day? I had not heard that.
Not sure about GF day, but he rejected Essendon's offer of last game of the season farewell lap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Fish. S.Waugh was a selfish cricketer.

Yep, you're all right. He should have thrown his wicket away and done the team thing. Anyway, back to Adam Goodes, great career and who gives a toss if he doesn't want to sit in a car and be driven around a field at half time. Honestly, if you're worried about that, it might be time to consider what you're doing with your own life.

Last edited:
However, when he was booed last year after the Collingwood game I got up and had a crack at Essendon supporters.

There was no serial booing until Round 8 this year. The Essendon supporters could have been booing him for other reasons, such as because he's a flog or because he's a media pet or because he's a good player.

I think it's important to separate serial booing from your general booing which most good players get.

The reason the serial booing started I think is because the media interpreted regular booing as racist. This happened during the 2014 Grand Final when Goodes was booed after a few cheap shots and there was an outcry from several commentators who called it a 'disgrace' amongst other things. The media jumped to conclusions on why Goodes was being booed in that Grant Final and in doing so brought attention to it then, and also when it resumed in Round 9 in the Grand Final replay. The booing continued mainly due to the hysterical over-reaction by certain commentators, and the war dance didn't help either. Clearly Sydney and Goodes felt the media were exacerbating things because they asked them to stop commenting on it after a while.

There was no serial booing until Round 8 this year. The Essendon supporters could have been booing him for other reasons, such as because he's a flog or because he's a media pet or because he's a good player.

I think it's important to separate serial booing from your general booing which most good players get.

The reason the serial booing started I think is because the media interpreted regular booing as racist. This happened during the 2014 Grand Final when Goodes was booed after a few cheap shots and there was an outcry from several commentators who called it a 'disgrace' amongst other things. The media jumped to conclusions on why Goodes was being booed in that Grant Final and in doing so brought attention to it then, and also when it resumed in Round 9 in the Grand Final replay. The booing continued mainly due to the hysterical over-reaction by certain commentators, and the war dance didn't help either. Clearly Sydney and Goodes felt the media were exacerbating things because they asked them to stop commenting on it after a while.
People got chucked out of our game last year for racially abusing him. Let's not pretend there were no issues until this year.

People got chucked out of our game last year for racially abusing him. Let's not pretend there were no issues until this year.

People have been thrown out for racially abusing other players as well, it's a separate issue.

The media know what they're doing, and they've been asked by the Swans to stop doing it. They have been irresponsible in their handling of this issue.

The Goodes Boogate has come and gone and no one is really sure what it was all about. Was it about racism? Was there a 'racial element'? There were no specific accusations. No constructive dialogue. Crazy. This whole affair will go down in history as just one of those peculiar events in Australian sport.

Along with Judd probably the only current (last 15 years) player who's arguably worthy of Legend status in the HOF.

But he dived a couple of times so off with his head.

It would be a stretch to label him a Legend on football exploits alone. As accomplished as he is - and as good a footballer as he was - he was never at any point in his career the best player in the league. There are not too many other Legends upon which that can be claimed. He will however gain direct entry to the HoF and rightfully so.

Judd on the other hand will get Legend status eventually - as will GAJ - in a couple of decades.

Agree with Fish. S.Waugh was a selfish cricketer.

A selfish cricketer who knew how to win extraordinary amounts of games/series? FFS yaco.

It would be a stretch to label him a Legend on football exploits alone. As accomplished as he is - and as good a footballer as he was - he was never at any point in his career the best player in the league. There are not too many other Legends upon which that can be claimed. He will however gain direct entry to the HoF and rightfully so.

Judd on the other hand will get Legend status eventually - as will GAJ - in a couple of decades.
372 games
2 Brownlows
2 Premierships, one as captain
3 B&F's
4 All Australian's
Rising Star award
Capable of playing ruck, forward and middle
Arguably the greatest player his club has seen
The first born and bred (ie not traded from elsewhere) superstar of Sydney

Could mount a very strong argument on football merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back