Book on Country Footy Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Hi there, I'm just wondering if there is a book written on Country Victorian footy clubs out there at all. I'm wondering this because I have a few great books about Country footy in SA that list clubs, famous players and records etc. Is there anything like this out there for country Victorian footy?
Cheers in advance. :thumbsu:

Hi there, I'm just wondering if there is a book written on Country Victorian footy clubs out there at all. I'm wondering this because I have a few great books about Country footy in SA that list clubs, famous players and records etc. Is there anything like this out there for country Victorian footy?
Cheers in advance. :thumbsu:

hi, There use to be a book but not for a long time. They hadnt done any new editions since ? either they didnt sell enough or what it was quite good it be well out of date now dunno how they would keep up with so many changes to clubs merging or moving the book would quickly go out of date hope someone does it again. :)

hi, There use to be a book but not for a long time. They hadnt done any new editions since ? either they didnt sell enough or what it was quite good it be well out of date now dunno how they would keep up with so many changes to clubs merging or moving the book would quickly go out of date hope someone does it again. :)
cheers for the reply mate. Ive always wanted to make a book like this but id have no idea where to start.

An author by name of John Stoward published a few books in 2008. I bought one from Melbourne Sports Books which related to my area, which covered the Bendigo Football League, Maryborough-Castlemaine League, Heathcote District League and the Riddell District League. He published four other books, and each book covers four or five leagues. He details as much info as he was able to find about each club within each league, covering Best and Fairests, club captains, coaches, leading goalkickers, even Life Members, treasurers, Secretaries, etc. He even published any info he was given from clubs relating to reserves and under-age football. Melbourne Sports Books still have some of these books if you're interested, but they cost 49 dollars when I bought mine. Maybe after five years it's possible the owner has discounted the prices a bit. John Stoward has some contact info he printed inside his book. I can give it to you if you would like to make contact with him.

An author by name of John Stoward published a few books in 2008. I bought one from Melbourne Sports Books which related to my area, which covered the Bendigo Football League, Maryborough-Castlemaine League, Heathcote District League and the Riddell District League. He published four other books, and each book covers four or five leagues. He details as much info as he was able to find about each club within each league, covering Best and Fairests, club captains, coaches, leading goalkickers, even Life Members, treasurers, Secretaries, etc. He even published any info he was given from clubs relating to reserves and under-age football. Melbourne Sports Books still have some of these books if you're interested, but they cost 49 dollars when I bought mine. Maybe after five years it's possible the owner has discounted the prices a bit. John Stoward has some contact info he printed inside his book. I can give it to you if you would like to make contact with him.
Yeah that would be great if you could give me the contact info mate. Live in perth so wouldn't be able to go to that book shop. Cheers mate. :thumbsu:

I hope he can still be contacted with these details. I have just tried accessing his website which he listed in the book (www.aussiefootybooks.com) but was not successful. Anyway, these are his other details. I tried posting these to you privately but received some message about needing to have lesss than 420 characters.

John Stoward
PO Box 208
Drysdale
Victoria, 3222

john.stoward@bigpond.com

Phone: (03) 5253 3232

Mobile: 0437 771733

I hope he can still be contacted with these details. I have just tried accessing his website which he listed in the book (www.aussiefootybooks.com) but was not successful. Anyway, these are his other details. I tried posting these to you privately but received some message about needing to have lesss than 420 characters.

John Stoward
PO Box 208
Drysdale
Victoria, 3222

john.stoward@bigpond.com

Phone: (03) 5253 3232

Mobile: 0437 771733
Cheers mate will see if i can get through. :thumbsu:

Hope you're able to make contact with him in some form.

Thanks for your info on the SA country footy clubs in the Stats Questions thread. Do you know of a player named Chris Prime who played for Norwood between 1993-1995? Do you happen to know his goals totals for those three seasons?

Thanks for your info on the SA country footy clubs in the Stats Questions thread. Do you know of a player named Chris Prime who played for Norwood between 1993-1995? Do you happen to know his goals totals for those three seasons?
Most of my SA footy info is about country footy but I know some people who might be able to get an answer for you mate.

Ok so I've been able to find out that he kicked 87 goals in '93 and 57 in '94 still trying to find 1995 numbers though

I think Tumby Bay is the name of the club. Is he still playing?

Edit: have just visited the Tumby Bay website and Prime is listed as their captain for this season. Kicked 72 goals last season and is currently sitting on 597 goals for the club.

Has anybody ever seen a biography for any country footballers? I'm talking about any footballer who never ended up playing senior football in the top league in his state. Just curious whether anybody has ever seen or heard of one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back