Movie Booksmart

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Amy (Kaitlyn Dever from Short Term 12) and Molly (some actor) are two kind-of-but-not-really-nerds one day from graduating high school and moving on to elite universities when they realise they needlessly sacrificed having fun like their classmates. Shenanigans and parties follow.

I think I like this movie more for what it aimed for than what it actually was. Not quite laugh out loud funny but the absurdity and dramatic parts are pretty good. Had good music.

Kaitlyn Dever is a good actor. Wonder if she'll become bigger.

Available on Netflix in France now.

Last edited:

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That other actress is Beanie Feldstein, and I found out the other night she's Jonah Hill's sister.

Thoroughly enjoyed this coming of age comedy, the writing is clever and fresh without being riddled with cliches. Great directorial debut form Olivia Wilde. Definitely not a laugh out loud film but plenty of hearty chuckles.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Yeah, I really enjoyed this film too. I thought the chemistry between the two leading roles was terrific, and made their friendship totally believable. Always thought Kaitlyn Dever was about the best one on that Tim Allen sitcom Still Standing, and had potential to become a big star. Good to see her taking those steps.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
That other actress is Beanie Feldstein, and I found out the other night she's Jonah Hill's sister.

Hill isn't his last name. What a phoney! :p

Thoroughly enjoyed this coming of age comedy, the writing is clever and fresh without being riddled with cliches. Great directorial debut form Olivia Wilde. Definitely not a laugh out loud film but plenty of hearty chuckles.

It could've got more laughs out of ridiculing its characters but it'll last longer in my memory and age better for not doing so. Olivia Wilde and others were looking to put a 'serious movie' on the resume I suspect.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hill isn't his last name. What a phoney! :p

It could've got more laughs out of ridiculing its characters but it'll last longer in my memory and age better for not doing so. Olivia Wilde and others were looking to put a 'serious movie' on the resume I suspect.

Yeah definitely in the mould of films like Lady Bird

Back