Retired Brent Harvey [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer will go around. Sydney, GWS, Bulldogs all possibilities.

Would love him at Melbourne on a playing/coaching contract.
Great player, but who's he replace in the Sydney line up? Surely wouldn't drop a promising young player like Papley to bring in Boomer for 1 season.

Great player, but who's he replace in the Sydney line up? Surely wouldn't drop a promising young player like Papley to bring in Boomer for 1 season.
Papley would be the one. Put him under Boomer's wing for 12 months to learn the tricks of the trade and he'll come out a much better player, while Boomer will contribute more on the scoreboard and much more firepower around the ground.

Papley would be the one. Put him under Boomer's wing for 12 months to learn the tricks of the trade and he'll come out a much better player, while Boomer will contribute more on the scoreboard and much more firepower around the ground.
If Papley was still behind McGlynn then the idea might have merit, but Paps has already pushed in to the best 22. Would seem harsh to make him play NEAFL for a season when he's comfortably holding his spot at the moment.

Bizarre decision to force Boomer into retirement given how well he's playing at the moment.

He's definitely playing well enough at the moment to get another contract and go around again next year. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some interest in him, but I'm not expecting him to play elsewhere next year.

He'll of course be bitterly disappointed but I reckon he'll decide to retire a one-club player and be content with that decision when he looks back on things down the track.

Is there anything in place to stop a team paying $80k to play and $300k to coach? I wonder what the policy on that is.

As in for 2017? All payments to a player come under the cap. If you mean pay them $80k in 2017 as a player and $300k in 2018 as a coach, that's a different story and is a bit of a grey area - especially as they're separate contracts.

As in for 2017? All payments to a player come under the cap. If you mean pay them $80k in 2017 as a player and $300k in 2018 as a coach, that's a different story and is a bit of a grey area - especially as they're separate contracts.

Yeah was thinking 2017, thanks for clarifying. Seems obvious (now).

Yeah was thinking 2017, thanks for clarifying. Seems obvious (now).

I remember it came up when GWS were hiring Cornes, Brogan, Macdonald and Power to do the same thing.

I reckon any club would benefit from having boomer play for a year or two and then step into coaching. Personally (it wont happen), but I would love him around some of Ports younger fellas. Not many better examples of a player to learn from than Boomer.

I'd be happy to give him a year the the Eagles.

Doubt he would move the family though.
Simmo brought Brady Rawlings with him who has a young family...maybe he would and then join in a coaching capacity. Personally think for Boomer its North or nothing, might be wrong and he may have changed his tune now that the end of the road has arrived. Id be disappointed in North if they didn't have a coaching/junior development role lined up for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would walk into any side going for a flag for 2017 but I doubt he goes on once he has weighed everything up. I expect it'll be a season or two playing locally with his brother before possibly a coaching gig.

Would you care that much if it got you a premiership?
Of course not! But purely from a list management perspective it'd be a strange decision for Sydney as they have a talented kid playing the same position at present.

Boomer to the Giants! Oh Yeah (Duff Man Voice)!

It'll be very interesting if someone picks him up.

He's good enough to play on next year, and who knows, maybe 2018 as well.

But would a club recruit someone who turns 39 in May? I mean, you could argue he would walk in to any team's best 22.

Not sure I can see it happening. Unfortunately for Boomer, he'll most likely have to bow out with a fair bit left in the tank.

That would be a dumb move.

Can you write out how the best 22 would look if WC recruited Harvey?
Harvey, Harvey, Harvey
Harvey, McGovern, Harvey
Harvey, Harvey, Jetta
Harvey, Harvey, Harvey
Harvey, Kennedy, Harvey
Foll: Harvey, Harvey, Priddis
Int: Harvey, Harvey, Yeo, Harvey
Em Harvey, Harvey, Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back