Boomer Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

He's always been a favourite of mine and he's still playing some good - occasionally bloody good - footy. But it's still a no from me - Geelong already have more than enough players that can play that half forward role (Motlop, Caddy, Menzel, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Gregson...Murdoch etc).

Still - farewell to a geniune great of the game.

So we learnt today Boomer Harvey won't be offered a new contract next year.

Should we sign him for a year? We definitely need pace up forward and would be a good replacement for Motlop who is going to be traded.

He'd also fix the issue of every player being too unselfish and passing the ball inside forward 50.

Thoughts?
We got rid of sj up forward. He was a better version of harvey.

Should we sign him for a year? We definitely need pace up forward and would be a good replacement for Motlop who is going to be traded.

He'd also fix the issue of every player being too unselfish and passing the ball inside forward 50.

Thoughts?
And while we are at it lets just call the new Grand Stand Donerootin Castle.

As I know not everyone reads every thread, the op has been on the "Hawkins is insignificant" and we are a better side without Hawkins bandwagon all season. At this stage, the only name they have put forward to replace Hawkins as our forward line target is young Linc McCarthy.

So if we go the path suggested then next year we will have a forward line lead by Linc McCarthy and Boomer Harvey - I'm sure that will keep the coaching staff of the other 17 teams awake at night trying to work out how to combat the shortest forward line in the league :rolleyes:

Whats this cr*p about Motlop being traded? If they were going to do that would they not have last year.

By the way what happened to the pick we got from GWS for SJ? Does anyone know?

Andare gatti!!

Whats this cr*p about Motlop being traded? If they were going to do that would they not have last year.

By the way what happened to the pick we got from GWS for SJ? Does anyone know?

Andare gatti!!

Motlop will be a free agent next year and there is speculation he will want to take advantage of that to go elsewhere.

Due to that, some have suggested we should trade him this year to ensure we get maximum value for him.

Motlop will be a free agent next year and there is speculation he will want to take advantage of that to go elsewhere.

Due to that, some have suggested we should trade him this year to ensure we get maximum value for him.

Thank you Cats!

Andare gatti!!

Yeah it's the classic "he MIGHT consider leaving next year so let's just trade him now, just to be sure!"

I think Danger & Buzzer are the only blokes on our list that haven't been mentioned in a trade.

while it will be great to see Motlop traded (and it's going to be for a top 10 draft pick), I would rather we focos on drafting/trading that top 10 pick for a player who will be around for a decade and a player capable of winning the contested footy, something in which Motlop just isn't cut up for in today's game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Hey Chris, old players are so IN right now, you know??"

"No, I didn't know that, Brad. Are they?"

"Yes, you should trade Motlop for Boomer, you'd be the coolest coach in the league."

"I'm not stupid, you desperate beggar. * off."

Thoughts?
My thoughts?

You reeled them in. Well played, Sir.

Even though the likes of Guthrie, Duncan, Blicavs and Motlop haven't reached their ceiling this year, we already have enough midfield depth. He would either compromise the development of these players by being assigned a Dangerfield/Selwood-type role or fall off an age/injury-related cliff and waste cap space playing in the VFL. Unless you're some geriatric, Ross Lyon-coached side loading up for one last flag tilt, recruiting him to perform a key role (which he is still good enough for) is not something you'd want from a 38 y.o. on a 1 year contract.

I know Harvey has indicated he wishes to retire, but his body could easily handle another year or two elsewhere. Probably a younger side lacking midfield depth and/or leadership, e.g. Freo. Will no doubt be linked to Collingwood by the media or targeted by Richmond/Essendon in some deluded attempt to play finals.

while it will be great to see Motlop traded (and it's going to be for a top 10 draft pick), I would rather we focos on drafting/trading that top 10 pick for a player who will be around for a decade and a player capable of winning the contested footy, something in which Motlop just isn't cut up for in today's game.
So Steven doesn't accrue massive contested possessions.
Hawthorn have 3 outside mid types who average less than that. Namely Smith, Hartung and Hill. The 3 amigos.

Why is the concept on this board that some mids aren't prolific at contested situations hard to grasp and/or accept?
Not every player is great at that nor do they have to be. This extends to Guthrie as well. No talk from you of trading Guthrie so if it's not because of an inability to gather contested possessions then why exactly should we trade Motlop let alone be gleeful at the prospect?

Steven isn't, that said for someone who slated me the other day for my views on the coach, well I'll be ropeable and won't hold back on the list management team if the club trade Motlop.
Frankly it'd be a dumb move on our behalf, a move I'm hopeful a quorum of Hocking, Wells, Scott and Cook aren't daft enough to make.

I've come to the conclusion that Nakia and I are the only ones with a bit of sense... I think you need to think harder about how good it would be for the club.

Yup. .about 75 cents. :cool:

Go Catters

WE have our own problems getting games into our younger guys while having to look hard at our older players.

The fact is when all these guys were listed ..someone else lost their place...no one gets to stay for ever. Time for him to say good bye... and certainly not hello from us.
Well said Turbo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back