Boomer staying put at North

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile, back at the thread. Would be rapt to have Boomer in a role at the club.Not sure what his capacity is in terms of non footy matters (marketing etc) but I am sure there must be an appropriate role for him.

I love the club and it will always come first, but the way we handled Boomers situation was pathetic. By both parties.
Call it sacked, call it non renewal, I call it amateur hour.

Let's be frank, AFL footballers are tossers. To get a list of 40 narcissistic brain dead males to function as one unit and put aside their egos and petty differences to win 25 games of football or near that, is only made more difficult by the fact the coach and board are usually as narcissistic as them. It's a tough gig and we cracked under pressure as everyone in a senior position wanted to be seen as doing the right thing.
It's just a masssive cocaine fueled orgy, miraged as a football club tbh. Sincerely hope we learn from this.

So much for media training.

Last edited:
I love the club and it will always come first, but the way we handled Boomers situation was pathetic. By both parties.
Call it sacked, call it non renewal, I call it amateur hour.
Let's be frank, AFL footballer are tossers. To get a list of 40 narcissistic brain dead males to function as one unit and put aside their egos and petty differences to win 25 games or near that, is only made more difficult by the fact the coach and board are usually as narcissstic as them. It's a tough gig and we cracked under pressure as everyone in a senior position wanted to be seen as doing the right thing.
It's just a masssive cocaine trip orgy miraged as a football club tbh. Sincerely hope we learn from this.
So much for media training.

I love this post.

Why we didn't offer him a 3 year coaching deal when we sacked him as a player is ******* absurd.

Is there anyone down there with a clue or is it the blind leading the blind?

I have a feeling that part of the 'cull' was the leadership wants a culture change. I think we should rebrand and reposition around our upcoming stars, and not dwell on the Boomers & Drews.

I hope he doesn't take a key day-to-day role. I want North Melbourne vNext, not just a bunch of new players.

I have a feeling that part of the 'cull' was the leadership wants a culture change. I think we should rebrand and reposition around our upcoming stars, and not dwell on the Boomers & Drews.

I hope he doesn't take a key day-to-day role. I want North Melbourne vNext, not just a bunch of new players.
I agree completely - if Boomer stays around to bond with coteries, sponsors and (especially the less gruntled) members, but has nothing much to do with the players or coaches, that sounds like an ideal setup. Time for a new era onfield - off field indulgence on nostalgia is awesome.

I agree completely - if Boomer stays around to bond with coteries, sponsors and (especially the less gruntled) members, but has nothing much to do with the players or coaches, that sounds like an ideal setup. Time for a new era onfield - off field indulgence on nostalgia is awesome.

You both make great points.

I was thinking more a mentor role with the small forwards who roll through the midfield and a seat next to the empty suitcase on game day to give us another set of eyes and ideas.

From memory, when he was suspended in 2013, that coincided with some of our very best intra-game coaching in recent history.

You both make great points.

I was thinking more a mentor role with the small forwards who roll through the midfield and a seat next to the empty suitcase on game day to give us another set of eyes and ideas.

From memory, when he was suspended in 2013, that coincided with some of our very best intra-game coaching in recent history.
He would certainly be able to impart a wealth of knowledge to the likes of Wagner, Garner, Hrovat, Turner etc who run off half forward, especially in how to find space and get involved in the game. Leigh Adams had his knockers but the bloke was fantastic at that role while others find it a freaking graveyard.

A half forward development consultant would be perfect. One day a week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't get why they couldn't have packaged this up to Boom prior to announcing his non renewal.
Would have saved so much angst and so much media backlash, we would have looked better than the dawks ever did with the we are allowing our senior players to extend their careers (at another club though)..

I just don't get why they couldn't have packaged this up to Boom prior to announcing his non renewal.
Would have saved so much angst and so much media backlash, we would have looked better than the dawks ever did with the we are allowing our senior players to extend their careers (at another club though)..

He said it come up early, the fact that he was deciding if he should play on probably delayed any decision.

Because they ballsed it up and announced his non-renewal before they got their s**t together.

Maybe they did. Maybe Boomer was told there was a role for him and he said he would consider when the time was right (now).

Have to disagree with you on two points mate:

1. He was not sacked, just not re-contracted.
2. You have never been called dispassionate, passionate yes, other one no.

Good points!

We've had our moments over the years mate, but must admit, your post on the main board where we have those saints fans frothing at the bit was truly wonderful.

Melt away, I say ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back