Society/Culture Boomers are okay!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I wouldn't have thought the reasons for increased social conscientiousness or altruism as you age were much of a mystery. You become less self obsessed as you move from being single to having a family, become more concerned for your children's environment and have more resources to contribute from being in the workforce longer.

• Banned
Alright human of advanced age.

I didn't do the study, brave alt accounter.:thumbsu:

The researchers come from the incredibly "liberal" University of Oregon and University of Zurich.

Older people have more time to invest in community groups because they are retired and they usually have more savings or income to do so. I would be shocked if a similar study was undertaken 20 years from now and it came up with a different result.

Only 49% of boomers are conservative. Maybe even a lot less.

80% of the population have an IQ under 50 and are born without a frontal lobe. The millennials from this group excessively drink/club, travel and just waste money on rubbish for themselves in general. Over time these sheep will age and become more charitable.

They are the poor and marginalized elderly and not the group of boomers us millennials have declared war with. The boomers we really have to worry about are the uneducated wealthy ones and even the upper middle class boomers. We also need to be wary of these gen x *s as some of their elite are starting to look even more greedy and ruthless.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I think it's pretty obvious that they're just better quality people.

Biggest hearts, stronger characters, and not nearly as self obsessed as the Gen Y's & Millenials.

They ushered in the technological age, better music, better movies, better artists, better everything.

Let's face it, when this lot vanish the human race is ****ed. The species will consist of whiny *s inhabiting a social media reality & who neck up if they have to stay in a motel for two weeks.

Biggest hearts, stronger characters, and not nearly as self obsessed as the Gen Y's & Millenials.

They ushered in the technological age, better music, better movies, better artists, better everything.

Let's face it, when this lot vanish the human race is f’ed. The species will consist of whiny fu**s inhabiting a social media reality & who neck up if they have to stay in a motel for two weeks.

Don't forget who raised us ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's face it, when this lot vanish the human race is f’ed. The species will consist of whiny fu**s inhabiting a social media reality & who neck up if they have to stay in a motel for two weeks.

you talk a lot of s**t, but when you're right you're right. boomer music beats the living s**t out of anything the millennials have coughed up

you talk a lot of s**t, but when you're right you're right. boomer music beats the living s**t out of anything the millennials have coughed up

That article seems to indicate that people will become more generous with age for a variety of reasons - I think the second paragraph under the 'Motivational observations' section puts the position well.
Wouldn't this indicate that as Gen X, Gen Y, etc reach the same age the same behaviour is likely to occur?

That article seems to indicate that people will become more generous with age for a variety of reasons - I think the second paragraph under the 'Motivational observations' section puts the position well.
Wouldn't this indicate that as Gen X, Gen Y, etc reach the same age the same behaviour is likely to occur?
Despite every generation claiming they are unique, we can expect the same behaviours as Gen X, Y, Z etc. move through. They'll do more volunteering, support family etc. as their perspective on life changes having kids / grandkids and wanting to have them well looked after. I'd say even the often railed against 'Boomer selfishness' is largely tied in with them wanting their kids / grandkids to do well without having to worry about money etc. It's rare to find a boomer who plans to spend all their money and leave the kids * all. Most want to enjoy what they've earnt (shocking!), but also leave their kids better off then they were at the same age. If someone older doesn't have money, then their seeing their kids / grandkids having the best chance is more likely to be a more ephemeral 'save the planet / society'.

Does being Conservative or religious correlate with those things noted and more older people are Conservative or religious?

Despite the absolute disdain for anything Christianity from many that post on this site I would suggest there would be a lot more volunteering and charitable stuff put out by religious based organisations like the Salvation Army than there is from the average left leaning bigfooty poster or r/australia poster that despises everything about that religion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back