Boomers Golden Era (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our men's national team is embarking on a golden era of talent somewhat comparable to the Socceroos a little over 10 years ago. We now have more NBA depth than any nation outside of the US (and possibly Canada) and with Basketball Australia recently signing a new CBA to improve the work conditions for anyone representing Australia while also providing full contract coverage, our best players now have more incentive to play for the Boomers than ever before. So let's begin with our current starting 5:

Guards: Ben Simmons (208cm, VIC, Philadelphia 76ers) and Patty Mills (183cm, ACT, San Antonio Spurs)
i
i

Forwards: Joe Ingles (203cm, SA, Utah Jazz) and Thon Maker (216cm, WA, Milwaukee Bucks)
i
i

Centre: Aron Baynes (208cm, QLD, Boston Celtics)
i

And what about bench depth?

Backup guards: Matthew Dellavedova (193cm, VIC, Cleveland Cavaliers) and Dante Exum (198cm, VIC, Utah Jazz)
i
i

Backup forwards: Ryan Broekhoff (201cm, VIC, Dallas Mavericks) and Jonah Bolden (208cm, NSW, Philadelphia 76ers)
i
i

Backup centre: Andrew Bogut (213cm, VIC, Sydney Kings)
i

Although Bogut is currently playing in the NBL, we know he is still capable of playing at the NBA standard right now so we essentially have 10 guys who are all playing at the NBA standard. From here, we start to move into Euroleague, NBL, College and High school players. One high school senior that definitely deserves a mention is Sydney native Josh Green from the IMG Academy in Florida:

7QCb6Ss.jpg

Josh is a 198cm shooting guard and is predicted to be a top 10 pick in the 2020 NBA draft. He recently committed to playing college ball for Arizona next year and will likely be our second best player behind Simmons in the near future. Two indigenous guards in Tamuri Wigness and William McDowell-White may also be worth keeping an eye on terms of making it to the NBA but certainly aren't on the same level as Green.

So, how do we like our chances for claiming an inaugural medal at the 2019 FIBA World Cup or the 2020 Olympics? With the exception of the US, our main competitors for medals are Spain, France, Serbia and Canada. However, I feel we have more talented players than those nations and should start favourites against all of them (presuming our best players compete).

When Chris Goulding, Mitch McCarron, Nathan Sobey, Damien Martin, Kevin Lisch (among others) are considered depth, I think we've got something going and to look forward to. Other fringe players like Craig Moller are on the up too.

Only hesitation we have for 2019 though is that Simmons seems unlikely to play for Aus at the worlds. Fingers crossed that somehow works out.

Simmons makes a big difference with his ability to play guard offensively but match up on a 4 defensively. It's just unfortunate that Bogut is right at the end of his career just as all this talented youth is starting to come in. With him at the end and Andersen gone we lose a bit up front.

But overall, yeah, exciting times ahead if we can mesh these guys together. It has been a LONG wait for a medal. Tokyo 2020 might be the time.
It'll be interesting how we deal with the pressure of expectation though. That's something we've never had. It's also seriously tough at the top of world basketball. There are so many capable teams, so that medal is no sure thing.

Simmons makes a big difference with his ability to play guard offensively but match up on a 4 defensively. It's just unfortunate that Bogut is right at the end of his career just as all this talented youth is starting to come in. With him at the end and Andersen gone we lose a bit up front.
If Bogut ends up being the only true vet we take to the Tokyo games then I think that's a pretty good outcome and we'll have a nice spread. Age wise, this is how we'll look in Tokyo:

35 - Andrew Bogut
33 - Aron Baynes
32 - Joe Ingles
31 - Patty Mills
29 - Matthew Dellavedova
29 - Ryan Broekhoff
25 - Dante Exum
24 - Jonah Bolden
24 - Ben Simmons
23 - Thon Maker
19 - Josh Green*

But overall, yeah, exciting times ahead if we can mesh these guys together. It has been a LONG wait for a medal. Tokyo 2020 might be the time.
It'll be interesting how we deal with the pressure of expectation though. That's something we've never had. It's also seriously tough at the top of world basketball. There are so many capable teams, so that medal is no sure thing.
That's true. Simmons and Bogut are probably the only players we have who are definitely equipped to deal with those kinds of expectations. Even a Slovenian combination of Luka Doncic and Goran Dragic could cause us problems so we have to be on our game at all times if we want a medal.

If Bogut ends up being the only true vet we take to the Tokyo games then I think that's a pretty good outcome and we'll have a nice spread. Age wise, this is how we'll look in Tokyo:

35 - Andrew Bogut
33 - Aron Baynes
32 - Joe Ingles
31 - Patty Mills
29 - Matthew Dellavedova
29 - Ryan Broekhoff
25 - Dante Exum
24 - Jonah Bolden
24 - Ben Simmons
23 - Thon Maker
19 - Josh Green*

That's true. Simmons and Bogut are probably the only players we have who are definitely equipped to deal with those kinds of expectations. Even a Slovenian combination of Luka Doncic and Goran Dragic could cause us problems so we have to be on our game at all times if we want a medal.
I think Sobey is the real classy one out of the NBL that can perform at "olympic" Boomers level... McCarron is not far behind either... Creek is the obvious one to join the big 10 as well.
However, Motum has the ability, just needs to get some more burn for his club team in Turkey...
I also really rate Landale, Deng Adel and Xavier Cooks...

A starting 5 of Simmons with Mills, Ingles Broekoff and Baines gives us a ton of shooting around Simmons..
Delly and Exum can shore up the perimeter Defence off the bench.. then there is Maker, Bogut and maybe Creek... I would love to see Landale and Cooks make the leap in the next 18 months, which leaves Sobey, McCarron, Adel, Motum and Bolden as the unlucky ones... as well as Green (probably too young) Mcdowell-White, Madgen, Humphries to battle it for 2024..

I think Sobey is the real classy one out of the NBL that can perform at "olympic" Boomers level... McCarron is not far behind either... Creek is the obvious one to join the big 10 as well.
However, Motum has the ability, just needs to get some more burn for his club team in Turkey...
I also really rate Landale, Deng Adel and Xavier Cooks...

A starting 5 of Simmons with Mills, Ingles Broekoff and Baines gives us a ton of shooting around Simmons..
Delly and Exum can shore up the perimeter Defence off the bench.. then there is Maker, Bogut and maybe Creek... I would love to see Landale and Cooks make the leap in the next 18 months, which leaves Sobey, McCarron, Adel, Motum and Bolden as the unlucky ones... as well as Green (probably too young) Mcdowell-White, Madgen, Humphries to battle it for 2024..
Can have all the talent in the world but if they don't have chemistry as a team they aren't going far. Not to say the won't but I haven't been impressed with their offense. Though that could also be to do with the cattle on the floor. Simmons will want to push the ball up the floor quicker which I feel is our only chance for medals so I hope they have a game plan that supports this.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back