ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Now you are resorting to conflating completely separate issues. The discussion is about the financial benefits, and yes financial 'free rides', that boomers received compared to other generations. Stop trying to shift the goalposts to suit your argument.
Bullshit the post I reposned to was the Free ride the Boomer recieved.
and I took offense, because most Boomer did not, Same as Most of the generations that followed will not get a free ride,

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I ignore you post because it was wrong by the way. but I was also incorrect in how I protray the FHOG.
My big mistake saying it was a 1st home omnwer grant, What I should have mention was Bob Hawke First Home Owners Assistance Scheme 1983, which was abolished in 1990 and later replaced by the FHOG, prior to that it was all grants after a person brought the House
So if anything getting a home in 90's was harder. Added to the 17% intrest rates, And Yes I brought land in the late 90's because I had the money then to do so, I had to work non stop for close to 30 years before that could happen. but yes I recieved a free ride,

I stand corrected on the grant, I actually had a bit of a google around and didn't find anything immediately so that's my bad. Actually you've made me look into it and we're both wrong.

It actually started in 1964 when the Menzies government gave Home Saving Grants of up to $500. This was abolished by Whitlam in 1973, reintroduced with a new name by Fraser in 1976 with the value increased to $2,500 (the equivalent of $16,000 today). Hawk overhauled it and gave it a different name again in 1983 with a limit an amount of $7,000 available ($22,000 in todays money).

So what we're seeing here is that in fact the boomers DID have government assistance getting into the housing market right from the start (the oldest boomers would have been 18 when the Menzies grant came in.

So thank you for getting me to look into this. You have given me what I need to even more thoroughly discredit you than previously.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK Guys I get it my generation was the Lucky one we got a free ride,
Guess I will tell that one to my Mate next time I vist the memorial. thanks for the memories Guys,

Again no generation got a free ride, and it was in reply to the boomer getting a free ride that force me to comment in the first place.

Again Thanks for the Memorys of the Free ride me and my mates recieved.

Look I am sorry you had to go fight in a bullshit war. It's wrong and shouldn't have happened.

I'm also willing to acknowledge you have probably worked hard to get where you are.

But I still contend that if I work just as hard as you did I won't end up where you are today.

Can you at least empathize a little bit with the plight of millenials?

Take me as an example:
1)I'm in my early 30's and despite having a full time, permanent, government job I don't feel secure enough in my future earnings to be willing to risk starting a family; I work in healthcare and they're cutting jobs in the middle of a pandemic ffs.
2)I am still paying off my undergrad university debt, which I felt forced to get otherwise I didn't think I'd be employable. Yet I'm forced to go BACK to university to get a masters degree despite already largely having the knowledge just because I can't progress my career without that hugely expensive piece of paper.
3)I basically will never be able to enter the housing market, short of winning the lottery, until my grandparents die (something I'm obviously hoping is as far away as possible). Even when that occurs I'll always know deep down that I wasn't able to earn that house off my own back.
4)I'm likely to be working until I'm at 80 because the retirement age has to keep increasing in order to keep our unsustainable economy from completely collapsing
5)I am staring down the barrel of a world that is uncontrollably heating. Even if I could feel financially secure enough to have kids, what kind of hardships are they going to endure because of preventable man made climate change?

Last edited:

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Look I am sorry you had to go fight in a bullshit war. It's wrong and shouldn't have happened.

I'm also willing to acknowledge you have probably worked hard to get where you are.

But I still contend that if I work just as hard as you did I won't end up where you are today.
Guess we both when out on a tangent, So applogy if I offended.
All I can say from exprience is save a little and Look ahead there will be that momentent in time, I strongly believe there going to be big changes comming, tech wise another boom in a few year time, just remember if you luckly diverse yopur investment

Maddogmetro

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Bullshit the post I reposned to was the Free ride the Boomer recieved.
and I took offense, because most Boomer did not, Same as Most of the generations that followed will not get a free ride,

Financial free ride. We are not talking about other societal issues. That is a whole other can of worms.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Guess we both when out on a tangent, So applogy if I offended.
All I can say from exprience is save a little and Look ahead there will be that momentent in time, I strongly believe there going to be big changes comming, tech wise another boom in a few year time, just remember if you luckly diverse yopur investment

I edited my post to expand it further. Wasn't trying to slip in under you or anything, just realized I had more to add after clicking the post button.

But yes I do apologize if I've offended as well, it wasn't my intention but I must admit this is a topic that gets me extremely frustrated.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Actually:

Best time in history to buy a house.

Free.

Doable. Parents bought a 900 sqm 5 bed 2 bath house 5km from the CBD in the 80s as a fitter and turner and a part-time nurse with 2 kids. It has since gone up in value more than 10 times.

....where to start?
When to start. Now !

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Boomers are also not going to have to deal with the mess that the generation they were part of predominately created with regards to the current climate and biodiversity crisis. It's going to be on the shoulders of everyone else to fix that and this is a bigger problem than any tit for tat over housing prices.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
He’s had Iphone’s for 10 years now.. do you think he knows how to send a picture message to anyone with it?...
Ohhhh :grimacing:, I'm gonna cop heaps for this :D:D:D, but ... instead of whinging/mocking your father, why don't you help/show him how to? It'd be helpfully filial, if not respectful.
('sfunny --- back in his/our day, there was no need to send "a picture message". I know this sounds weird, but we used to get together with friends and show each other photos, talk and laugh in actual company, face to face :oops::oops:. You're gonna love this; we had actual, physical friends that we saw in real time, not hundreds of e-friends that we'd never met.
Crazy, huh? :D
Also, we used to have things called "dinner parties" --- Google it, they're now extinct, like most other forms of real, social interaction --- where we actually talked to each other!! :eek: instead of sitting around in groups, together-yet-isolated while glued to your phones.
When we were in groups, we actually --- are you sitting down? --- looked at and spoke to each other!! Scary, right, to not have an e-shield ie iphone/android, keeping us separate, safe and polarised?
Cooked our own food, too. How weird is that??
But hey, I'm so old that you think our rainbows back then were Black & White ;) *runs for cover*)

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Ohhhh :grimacing:, I'm gonna cop heaps for this :D:D:D, but ... instead of whinging/mocking your father, why don't you help/show him how to? It'd be helpfully filial, if not respectful.
('sfunny --- back in his/our day, there was no need to send "a picture message". I know this sounds weird, but we used to get together with friends and show each other photos, talk and laugh in actual company, face to face :oops::oops:. You're gonna love this; we had actual, physical friends that we saw in real time, not hundreds of e-friends that we'd never met.
Crazy, huh? :D
Also, we used to have things called "dinner parties" --- Google it, they're now extinct, like most other forms of real, social interaction --- where we actually talked to each other!! :eek: instead of sitting around in groups, together-yet-isolated while glued to your phones.
When we were in groups, we actually --- are you sitting down? --- looked at and spoke to each other!! Scary, right, to not have an e-shield ie iphone/android, keeping us separate, safe and polarised?
Cooked our own food, too. How weird is that??
But hey, I'm so old that you think our rainbows back then were Black & White ;) *runs for cover*)

I have shown him a couple of times.. he still cant get it... and I dont see him in person that often as we live a coupla thousand k’s away from each other..

The minimum wage in 1978 was $3 an hour, or $120/week normal time. So if you were getting paid $80 a week for working 6.5 days (lets say the equivalent of 7.5 8 hour days or 60 hours, which would be $180 at min wage) you seem to have been paying a lot of tax.

And cost of living (especially housing) has outpaced income growth for the last 20-30 years. Minimum wage is now $20 an hour (6.5x 1978), but the median rent in Canberra (e.g. not a fully furnished home) is $470 (10x what yours was).

I was under 18 so not earning adult wages. They sacked me the day before I turned 18.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I was under 18 so not earning adult wages. They sacked me the day before I turned 18.
My first pay cheque was $87 / fortnight...good old State Bank of SA...had to pay board out of that as was one of 9 - most of whom were at home still. I had to save my guts out to buy a home, only to be let go by the aforementioned arseholes. The f*cking snowflake generation of today wouldn't have survived in those days. Photos of their meals, complaining about lockdowns (we didn't have a choice then....no money to spend), how hard it is for them - what a load of b*llshit. I did manage to put my two kids through uni and paid their HECS debts up front...has set them up for life. No matter what generation - work hard, save as much as you can, and forego some pleasures, then hopefully you can enjoy some later in life.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
My first pay was $80 a week and that was working 6.5 days (including a Sunday which was double time). Rent back then was $47 a week for a fully furnished 2 bedroom flat. You had no telephone. My first car cost $500 (9 year old 1969 mini - rally converted) and petrol was 42 cents a litre. I remember being sent my first bankcard (without ever having applied for it) with a $300 limit and getting my first hifi on hire-purchase. Hubby and I saved $20,000 which would have been a good deposit on a house (in fact, we could have bought a 3 bedroom brand new house in Canberra back then for $49,000. We baulked because we were moving overseas and wasn't sure if we'd need the money. In the end we did need the money (had to pay 6 months in advance for rent - TWICE, because we were foreigners). By the time we returned to Australia, that same house was worth $160,000. My mum sold her ex-govie for about that price ($160,000) and it is now worth around the million mark (inner city Canberra). We rented for 14 years before we could afford to buy our first home - I'd just turned 30. We definitely made money on our house... but probably not if you included 15 years of repayments.

Kids earn a sh*t load more than we did at the same age... but cost of living is also expensive. Is it all relative?
My first job paid $107 a week as an apprentice. That was in ‘84. I think first years get about $13 per hour now. So a bit over $500 per week.
I remember wanting to get a Ripcurl steamer wetsuit back then and they cost $230. That’s like paying $1200 for it now but they are $200/$300 plus many other options even cheaper. I bought a house in Cairns 4 years ago 7 mins drive to the city for $216K. Everything is relative.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
You realized that numerous studies have shown the first home buyers grant actually does nothing to help first home buyers because all it does is increase the cost of buying a house by whatever the first home buyers grant is at the time? So lets not pretend there's any leg up we're getting from it, it's just another weight around our necks and a way to funnel even more taxpayer money into the hands of those who already have significant wealth.

It's funny you mention housing trust homes because you know what there are less of as a portion of population? government housing.

I'll acknowledge, again, that getting into uni was much harder back then (and I'm guessing the curriculum much more rigorous as well). But I'm sure you'll also acknowledge that back then you didn't NEED a university degree to get any job that wasn't working customer service at McDonalds or Woolworths (or obviously the ancient equivalents).

It's interesting you claim that Boombers bought in the 90's with the first home buyers scheme because
1)there wasn't any form of first home buyers grant I can find in the 90's, earliest I can find is the First Home Owners Grant in 2000
2)in 2000 the first home buyers grant was $7,000 compared to a median house price in Melbourne of $280,000 (2.5%). By 2016 the median house price in Melbourne had ballooned to $1,200,000 while the first home buyers grant remained the same (.58%).
Lol a first house ain’t 1.2 M.
Just have to go where it’s affordable.
current incentives include Federal grants , state grants, local grants and even builders are doing grants. Add all them together can be $40k

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I have shown him a couple of times.. he still cant get it... and I dont see him in person that often as we live a coupla thousand k’s away from each other..
That's a much more decent reply than I deserved. Respect.
Coupla thousand Ks makes it difficult and I genuinely sympathise. Lost my Dad when I was 10. I'da given anything to show him how to send a message pic.
Also, thanks for not ripping into me. I was being provocative but tryin to be amusing too.

Nothing closes the generation gap like shared human experience, and empathy. All the best :thumbsu:.

“Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants. ”

Socrates circa 470 BC.

Not only are the Boomers the worst generation, their complaints aren't original.

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
You realized that numerous studies have shown the first home buyers grant actually does nothing to help first home buyers because all it does is increase the cost of buying a house by whatever the first home buyers grant is at the time? So lets not pretend there's any leg up we're getting from it, it's just another weight around our necks and a way to funnel even more taxpayer money into the hands of those who already have significant wealth.

It's funny you mention housing trust homes because you know what there are less of as a portion of population? government housing.

I'll acknowledge, again, that getting into uni was much harder back then (and I'm guessing the curriculum much more rigorous as well). But I'm sure you'll also acknowledge that back then you didn't NEED a university degree to get any job that wasn't working customer service at McDonalds or Woolworths (or obviously the ancient equivalents).

It's interesting you claim that Boombers bought in the 90's with the first home buyers scheme because
1)there wasn't any form of first home buyers grant I can find in the 90's, earliest I can find is the First Home Owners Grant in 2000
2)in 2000 the first home buyers grant was $7,000 compared to a median house price in Melbourne of $280,000 (2.5%). By 2016 the median house price in Melbourne had ballooned to $1,200,000 while the first home buyers grant remained the same (.58%).
mate agree overall with sentiments but this is a more than a little stretched..

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol a first house ain’t 1.2 M.
Just have to go where it’s affordable.
current incentives include Federal grants , state grants, local grants and even builders are doing grants. Add all them together can be $40k

Did I say first? I said median.

Back