Boomers vs Kids these days

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
When I came into the workforce, it was a standard that whatever was happening, if you weren't busy, you used your initiative to get some things done.

I am Gen X

I really appreciate that kids these days go " * you if I'm not busy, I'm on my phone, * your initiative".

I never thought that was an option, to be honest.

Why I appreciate it the most is my KPIs have reduced down to a figure that Milenniuns can achieve, I still have that "use your initiative" thing going in my workplace...so I am good, thanks guys for making me a part of your inability*.

*Not criticising, I would have never have had the balls ever to pull my phone out at a workplace because I was bored, just happy you guys made it the norm

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Investing in residential property is fine, as long as you're ok being a leaner, you know, a lazy parasite on society.
Yes taking the risk so someone not as able or wanting to be tied down can have somewhere to live is a bad thing.
Same as every business owner is bad. For supplying employment to those, that don’t want to take on the burden.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
When I came into the workforce, it was a standard that whatever was happening, if you weren't busy, you used your initiative to get some things done.

I am Gen X

I really appreciate that kids these days go " fu** you if I'm not busy, I'm on my phone, fu** your initiative".

I never thought that was an option, to be honest.

Why I appreciate it the most is my KPIs have reduced down to a figure that Milenniuns can achieve, I still have that "use your initiative" thing going in my workplace...so I am good, thanks guys for making me a part of your inability*.

*Not criticising, I would have never have had the balls ever to pull my phone out at a workplace because I was bored, just happy you guys made it the norm

If I was allowed I'd screenshot this and post it on FB.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
the two are not even remotely comparable
My property investment is run as a business. Businesses exist to make money.
Supplying lodgings is a business.
Like a hotel. It’s been happening since Joseph and Mary couldn’t get a room at the inn but found lodgings in the barn. Which they would have paid for. There is no right to lodgings but that which you obtain yourself by purchasing yourself or paying someone to use theirs.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
my first job was Hungry Jacks when I was 15 - I remember once leaning over the bench to check the stock levels in the warmer out the front and this sycophantic loser team leader dead set said to me 'time to lean, time to clean' - my station already was clean and the $5.40 an hour really wasn't a huge motivator to do more than I had to

Having said that though, even if i had one at the time I doubt i'd have ever pulled a phone out

We part owned a courier business for a few year. Had a couple of the Toll contracts, employing about 6 people. Nothing major, but a busy enterprise. Each year I'd generate about 30 group certificates and would naturally lament the s**t staff that I had to keep moving on. Then I'd remember that the extra 24 certificates were 2 seats, the other 4 did a good job and never left. In Alice it was very much license, arms and legs, you've got the gig. I'd do the most basic reference check, but I did always look at previous employers. And one of the things that stood out like dogs balls is among the 100+ morons that rolled through, none had worked at a Maccas/HJ, Woolies/Coles etc.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We part owned a courier business for a few year. Had a couple of the Toll contracts, employing about 6 people. Nothing major, but a busy enterprise. Each year I'd generate about 30 group certificates and would naturally lament the sh*t staff that I had to keep moving on. Then I'd remember that the extra 24 certificates were 2 seats, the other 4 did a good job and never left. In Alice it was very much license, arms and legs, you've got the gig. I'd do the most basic reference check, but I did always look at previous employers. And one of the things that stood out like dogs balls is among the 100+ morons that rolled through, none had worked at a Maccas/HJ, Woolies/Coles etc.
When I first got to Cairns I sopped in at a caravan park in Innisfail an hour South of Cairns. It was owned by one of my old mans former clients. I had built their house with my old man in Redwood Park in the late 80’s this was 2003. My parent said drop in and say giday. So over a ham sandwich and cup of coffee we were chatting and the guy said I was the most reluctant worker on his house. 😂 I guess I was 20/21 at the time. I never saw myself as that. I really didn’t get it. (What’s required) until I was about 30. Try telling me that in my 20’s I wouldn’t have agreed.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We part owned a courier business for a few year. Had a couple of the Toll contracts, employing about 6 people. Nothing major, but a busy enterprise. Each year I'd generate about 30 group certificates and would naturally lament the sh*t staff that I had to keep moving on. Then I'd remember that the extra 24 certificates were 2 seats, the other 4 did a good job and never left. In Alice it was very much license, arms and legs, you've got the gig. I'd do the most basic reference check, but I did always look at previous employers. And one of the things that stood out like dogs balls is among the 100+ morons that rolled through, none had worked at a Maccas/HJ, Woolies/Coles etc.

And those 4 that did a good job, were they compensated over and above the others? paid extra in acknowledgement of their superior work and because of the reduced admin time they took up? I bet not.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
And one of the things that stood out like dogs balls is among the 100+ morons that rolled through, none had worked at a Maccas/HJ, Woolies/Coles etc.

I'm not sure of your inference here - are you saying they were too stupid to have gotten jobs there, or that people who do get those jobs are bigger morons than them?

are there actually many McDonalds/HJ jobs in Alice Springs?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure of your inference here - are you saying they were too stupid to have gotten jobs there, or that people who do get those jobs are bigger morons than them?

are there actually many McDonalds/HJ jobs in Alice Springs?

FFS Jake, don’t be so lazy just employ that grey matter of yours sometime.

it couldn’t be more obvious

he’s saying people who have worked in such places have been managed properlyhave experienced a real work place with structure, rules and expectations

Those who haven’t are probably slacker, weed smoking types who teach freelance guitar

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
FFS Jake, don’t be so lazy just employ that grey matter of yours sometime.

it couldn’t be more obvious

he’s saying people who have worked in such places have been managed properlyhave experienced a real work place with structure, rules and expectations

Those who haven’t are probably slacker, weed smoking types who teach freelance guitar
Nice touch, 😂. I used to get guitar lessons from this dude. My best mates older brother. Top dude but still driving taxis or whatever. Thinks everyone that rents a house to him is an a-hole to, unsurprisingly.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Yes taking the risk so someone not as able or wanting to be tied down can have somewhere to live is a bad thing.
Same as every business owner is bad. For supplying employment to those, that don’t want to take on the burden.
I certainly don't agree with Jake's take on landlords. He has this rant every few months and it's always stupid. As a landlord myself though, I don't really agree with your suggestion that it's some kind of altruistic endeavor eg. taking on risk, providing a place for people to live etc. I bought a townhouse and rented it out because I didn't want to leave my own rental due to proximity to work. I can tell you that taking on risk so others wouldn't have to was never a consideration of mine, nor do I get warm fuzzy feelings about providing people a place to live. It's purely transactional.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I certainly don't agree with Jake's take on landlords. He has this rant every few months and it's always stupid. As a landlord myself though, I don't really agree with your suggestion that it's some kind of altruistic endeavor eg. taking on risk, providing a place for people to live etc. I bought a townhouse and rented it out because I didn't want to leave my own rental due to proximity to work. I can tell you that taking on risk so others wouldn't have to was never a consideration of mine, nor do I get warm fuzzy feelings about providing people a place to live. It's purely transactional.
I think Misty's just trying to make himself feel better about reaping the benefits of negative gearing 🤣

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
And those 4 that did a good job, were they compensated over and above the others? paid extra in acknowledgement of their superior work and because of the reduced admin time they took up? I bet not.

Of course they were. I even overpaid the useless campaigners hoping they'd do better. That's where I learned that more money doesn't make average better. If anything, it has the opposite effect.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
why should they be?

they got paid the going rate for the job they did, the others just turned over

I had to pay them more, would have been screwed without them. I paid extra mostly in bonuses though, didn't want to increase leave liability, I'm generous, but not an idiot. I definitely offered well above award rates for the turn over crew, but it did nothing.

Back