Booze - Have you given up drinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

The first night without alcohol has been relatively painless. The most difficult time was probably around 5pm when I pour the first drink of the day. Like giving up cigarettes, I should have tried abstaining earlier. I don't wish to quit drinking but would like to break the daily habit. I need to see if it contributes to my sleep problems.

Last edited:
Guys, there are some great alcohol free beers around now. Heineken 0.0 tastes great.
There’s also ranges of alcohol free wines and even gin, scotch and more.
substitution has helped me cut down (not trying to stop, just reducing).
If you’re interested Google Brunswick Aces; a 100% alcohol free bar and bottle shop.

In bed at midnight, up at 3.20am then never got back to sleep. No alcohol made no difference. The usual three or so hours sleep. I will try again tonight.

This might help.. what's the only place on earth.. where people get 3 hrs of sleep a night.. some for decades.. harder to get in to than Harvard.. makes getting drafted for Collingwood look like a piece of piss?

Last edited:
One of the side effects of little sleep is poor brain function. What's the answer?

Not necessarily. I think it's in all of us to do well.

The answer: Mt Athos.

Why do I draw inspiration from Mt Athos. Mate.. visited a couple of times.. and you're not going to get.. read this obscure passage and you'll be ok.. and off you go.. oh wasn't that a wonderful experience.. you'll ask the question.. why am I doing it tough.. they'll just look you and say.. ti les re vlaka.. ti tough re.. and that's it. And you're like.. s**t. It's the Kokoda. It's the Anzacs fighting alongside the Greeks in the war. It's the reason why families came to Australia. We would never have witnessed one of the most iconic moments in sport otherwise.. Brown with his arms rapped around Daicos after he snagged that sausage roll in the 1990 GF re. It's a sausage roll with a re. It's channeling Audrey Hepburn.. Marlon Brando.. Lou Richards.. Peter Daicos.. Gavin Brown.. it's not complaining about umpiring decisions..

What are we complaining about re..

I reckon you can do it..

Stats in Australia don't back you up. Even asthma is higher in the regions than the cities.

National Health Performance Authority data show life expectancy at birth in 2011 ranged between 82.0 and 83.6 years in metropolitan catchments, 81.4 to 81.6 years across catchments in regional hubs and 78.3 to 80.6 years in rural areas
That's because of all the pollen in the air.
Seriously, as far as asthma goes I really think it's a side effect of the preservatives that we consume every day. It looks to me as if kids are born with this disease these days.

Not necessarily. I think it's in all of us to do well.

The answer: Mt Athos.

Why do I draw inspiration from Mt Athos. Mate.. visited a couple of times.. and you're not going to get.. read this obscure passage and you'll be ok.. and off you go.. oh wasn't that a wonderful experience.. you'll ask the question.. why am I doing it tough.. they'll just look you and say.. ti les re vlaka.. ti tough re.. and that's it. And you're like.. sh*t. It's the Kokoda. It's the Anzacs fighting alongside the Greeks in the war. It's the reason why families came to Australia. We would never have witnessed one of the most iconic moments in sport otherwise.. Brown with his arms rapped around Daicos after he snagged that sausage roll in the 1990 GF re. It's a sausage roll with a re. It's channeling Audrey Hepburn.. Marlon Brando.. Lou Richards.. Peter Daicos.. Gavin Brown.. it's not complaining about umpiring decisions..

What are we complaining about re..

I reckon you can do it..
I think you'd have some outraged feminists questioning why only men are allowed to visit Mt Athos! What I don't understand is why people (the monks?) only get 3 hours sleep? I must confess if I was one of the monks living alone in a hut on the cliff face, I would be seeking as much sleep as possible to reduce my waking hours of meditation and devotion or whatever one gets up to as a recluse.

Get out and about and do your own research. It's plain to everyone when you cross the divide and see the city in all it's smogged glory.
I have a pretty good view of much of Melbourne and the bay area and pollution is not something I have noticed. If you want to experience true pollution, spend some time in a Chinese industrial city, or take a ride in an open tuk tuk, moto or motorbike across town in Delhi, Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh city. You are the one who most eulogises the pleasures of living in Melbourne, so I am surprised you are so quick to condemn its air quality.

I think you'd have some outraged feminists questioning why only men are allowed to visit Mt Athos! What I don't understand is why people (the monks?) only get 3 hours sleep? I must confess if I was one of the monks living alone in a hut on the cliff face, I would be seeking as much sleep as possible to reduce my waking hours of meditation and devotion or whatever one gets up to as a recluse.

Go with the flow.. or don't. Simple. Sometimes when you don't take things at face value the magic is lost.. and you sit there arguing about it for the rest of your life.

Go with the flow.. or don't. Simple. Sometimes when you don't take things at face value the magic is lost.. and you sit there arguing about it for the rest of your life.
So just accept that 3 hours sleep is an elegant sufficiency, and when the time hits 5pm, begin loading up on whisky, soda and ice, and and recognise that there are some things in life that can't be changed and we shouldn't be making any effort to pretend otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How come I’ve never seen this pollution nor ever heard anyone talk about it? Are there any photos of this obvious pollution?

There you go mate. Warrandyte's pollution problem captured for all to see.

IMG_3093.jpg

I have a pretty good view of much of Melbourne and the bay area and pollution is not something I have noticed. If you want to experience true pollution, spend some time in a Chinese industrial city, or take a ride in an open tuk tuk, moto or motorbike across town in Delhi, Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh city. You are the one who most eulogises the pleasures of living in Melbourne, so I am surprised you are so quick to condemn its air quality.
I’m not sure I ever related Melbourne smog to Delhi or other massive polluters in the world.
But Melbourne certainly has a smog haze when you view it from a distance.

I have had two drinks in 3 days. 10 a week is seemingly a reasonable amount or no more than 4 a day (i.e. no more than 6 left for the other 6 days). I find that filling myself up with liquids, such as lime sodas or milo, mutes my craving for alcohol. But sleeping is no better yet.

We are a nation of teetotallers according to that article. I cannot believe my moderate if daily alcohol consumption makes me such a pariah. I must strive to achieve a higher level of goodie two-shoeness if I am to be regarded as a true contemporary Australian.

Metropolitan Melbourne this morning..

That's it mate.. forget about it mate..

View attachment 1306926
Geez the air in Melbourne is so clear……
When schools are out.
When people are on holidays.
When people are working from home.
When manufacturing is taking its annual shutdown.
When a small percentage of the one million vehicles are actually on the roads.

So clear…..

Geez the air in Melbourne is so clear……
When schools are out.
When people are on holidays.
When people are working from home.
When manufacturing is taking its annual shutdown.
When a small percentage of the one million vehicles are actually on the roads.

So clear…..

Gotta balance it out cob.. Metro has better public transportation.. education and jobs.. medical treatment.. entertainment.. good for mental health mate when you've got a good selection of bars and clubs to shake your bon bons at.. not just the one barn in the middle of woop woop to do the *en Billy Ray Cyrus at mate.

While I got ya re.. my Nana is on my case about the trifle bowl you borrowed from her back in '06. Any chance I can get it back off of ya? Perfect opportunity to regift it re. Nah don't woz bout it.. just yanking your bike chain mate.. no need to arc up.

Gotta balance it out cob.. Metro has better public transportation.. education and jobs.. medical treatment.. entertainment.. good for mental health mate when you've got a good selection of bars and clubs to shake your bon bons at.. not just the one barn in the middle of woop woop to do the fu**en Billy Ray Cyrus at mate.

While I got ya re.. my Nana is on my case about the trifle bowl you borrowed from her back in '06. Any chance I can get it back off of ya? Perfect opportunity to regift it re. Nah don't woz bout it.. just yanking your bike chain mate.. no need to arc up.
Unfortunately the trifle bowl was damaged irreparably in the great trifle massacre of 2011.
It fought hard against the masses but succumbed under sheer weight of numbers….

I remember doing the Pinnacle bushwalk in the Grampians a few years ago. Beautiful views of Lake Fyans and Halls Gap. Also clear across to Melbourne which was visibly and disturbingly smoggy. You get a city of 4.5 million people with cars and industry you'll get air pollution. But I think for it's size it does pretty well, just not perfect. I'd hate to see what it would be like without environmental legislation and regulation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back