Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lets Roar like '44

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d like to see Maxwell. Think as he’s got older perspective changes. And if nothing else if he got one or 2 more tests I think he can sleep easy happy with his International performance.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I’d like to see Maxwell. Think as he’s got older perspective changes. And if nothing else if he got one or 2 more tests I think he can sleep easy happy with his International performance.

I would have liked to see Maxwell have a long red ball career. But CA and probably Maxi himself mean he goes down in the wasted talent column.

No to flying anyone else over there and looking even more like headless chooks.

Green and Starc in for Warner and Kuhnemann and let's cop our next two beatings with our heads up.

So it’s a participation award now? How happy a bloke feels should mean zilch

Tend to agree. Would love to see him have a chance in the Ashes. FFS will Warner do better?

Like Maxwell would be the answer in England against a swinging ball in the Ashes

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Part of me thinks why not treat the remaining tests like an A team tour and send some promising youngsters to get a feel for the conditions for the future.

CA obviously never cared about this series and BCCI doesn’t now they’ve won, so why not treat it as a practice?
We don't play a test in India until 2027. That's too far away to be useful.

Ok calm down Cheech. When things go bad, sometimes a person who has more heart in the game than others perform, why not give them a go? I could have scored more than half that team in the second innings.

Because the bloke is coming off 5 and 0…in a shield game and isn’t good enough anyway

be very surprised if he's not in the squad, but how can you possibly pick him to open in England with Broad going around the wicket and his shite record? Surely Harris or Bancroft get another go.

Can we not go back to Harris for a while? Pick a young player not fussed who

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t understand people pushing maxwell. You realise it’s test cricket right? He’s never shown he’s a quality first class player let alone test player, why would you bring him back at 34?

please stop pushing him.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I don’t understand people pushing maxwell. You realise it’s test cricket right? He’s never shown he’s a quality first class player let alone test player, why would you bring him back at 34?

please stop pushing him.
I can agree that his time to play test cricket has passed, but 4,000 first class runs at 40 is nothing to be sneezed at.

Would be nice if Hunt was making runs at the moment, bad time to have a lean patch…

Never know by the Ashes Pucovski might be an option not putting pressure on him one but but it’s a maybe

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And 1 for Bancroft.

It was a pretty reckless shot for second ball faced too.
Maxwell needs time in the middle. Hasn't played regularly since the T20 World cup. Wasn't shocked he's had a poor match with the bat but playing silly shots he shouldn't be doing. That said I'm all for getting Inglis into the side. Has a neck a neck batting average with Carey but is a better all round batsman (talking short format included) and I think he's as good with the gloves. Wouldn't be totally against trying something against the grain and having him open with Head. 2 attacking options against the new ball. Bazball is setting the new standard and i rekon we need to look to replicate it. That means we go with an all rounder or all-rounders at 6 and 7 to replace the keepers position. Somene like Aaron Hardie.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can agree that his time to play test cricket has passed, but 4,000 first class runs at 40 is nothing to be sneezed at.
Doesn't play enough of it. He would average mid 40s at least if he did. Another guy who could have played test cricket had he not decided to go down the T20 route was Chris Lynn. Averaged mid 40s before pulling the pin.

Give enough chances you have to make a run eventually. I tell you what, how about I pad up 30 times, and at the end of it when I still haven’t made a run, put me on the next tour because I’ll surely be due…

Deserves a chance on form

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It was ridiculous that people were considering him at all but Maxwell proved his case today by injuring himself in the slips on a ball edged to him (that he was too far back to catch) and then getting out 2nd ball.
He's not even Victoria's 3rd best batter at the moment.
A little harsh,coming back from a serious injury and sure failed with the bat 1st innings as every one did other then Matt Short.Perhaps should have not batted 2nd innings so high as was a nasty hit and he still is only 80% fit and needs time to recover full fitness again.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Comes down to coaching and philosophy.

I am a level 2 Coach - not that it means a lot but I have been playing for 39 years and coaching for about 25. I am in my early 50’s. I had no formal technical batting coaching. But I grew up when WSC had been unified and ODI Tri Series was in its hey day. My first hero was Kepler Wessels and my first serious bat was a Duncan Fearnley. Kepler got 162 on his test debut and was left handed like myself. I (stupidly) for a time copied his technique which was to hide the bat behind your pad but made it hard to play the ball on leg stump. In any case that didn’t last too long and I began playing formalised cricket which for an 11 year old meant Under 16’s. We trained twice a week having a bat and a bowl in the nets. Because I was a young kid, I batted low and rotated out with the other Kids my age. When you did get a hit at No. 10 or 11, your job was to stay in and allow the older kids to score. Plenty of times we didn’t do anything but field for the game. But you understood that your time would come. I played in a semi final in my first year where I put on a rear guard partnership with our vice captain in a vain run chase after all our “guns” had been removed cheaply. The next year I moved up a few spots and eventually at the age of 14 became captain. I was/am have always been an opener/No.3 bat. I play or thought I played relatively straight. I made my first century at 16 (in a Grand Final) and played in A Grade for my local club from the age of 15 until at the age of 21 when I eventually decided to play in Melbourne due to the fact it was a pain in the arse to drive 3 hrs each way every weekend to play cricket and it meant less time with the cute little girl I was seeing at the time. By a sheer fluke I fell arse backwards into playing first grade in the sub districts and it was here that I got my first technical batting coaching from a very good District First XI player/coach. He wanted me to act as the night watchman and stop gap opener on occasions so I really had to tighten up my defensive technique - which I did with his help. That technique stayed largely the same for many years until I totally rebuilt it after doing my level 2 coaching about 20 years ago. What I learnt at that seminar was incredible, particularly for someone who at that stage had bern intensely involved and lived cricket for 20 years. The key thing being that simplicity was best and if you kept the basics right, not much could go wrong. From that my own coaching took off and I had some very good results as a club coach but more specifically as a technical Batting coach. I started doing a bit of work with rep teams and some work with CV. That all ended fairly abruptly about 10 years ago when I walked into a facility to do a session with a rep team on technique and the preceding coach was instructing the batsman in the net that the next delivery “had to go to fine leg” regardless of where it was pitched. It went against all of my beliefs and was counter productive to what I was trying to do which was effectively retrofit technique to kids with lots of natural ability but limited understanding of the basics (grip, backlift, stance). Greg Chappell had been my coaching guru and when he was running his “Chappell Way” coaching site (prior to coaching India) he sought permission to use some of my writings on his site. A few years later we crossed paths at a CV Seminar and I was horrified to hear him speak, he had walked back all or most of his beliefs to fit in with the changing landscape which featured blokes from a very different view of cricket to me. Rather than sit there, I had a pretty heated discussion with him from the floor. Having said my bit I continued on a bit disconsolate but reassured by some of the comments from other coaches. At the end of the fielding session the Australian Baseball Coach Jon Deeble (son of a Sub District legend) pulled me aside and said “took some nuts to do what you just did and you know..you’re not wrong”.

So a long story but it gives background and context to the way Cricket is now coached. Basic technique is largely ignored. Flaws are ignored, they coach to the strengths which is great for short form cricket, but not long form or TEST cricket. Attack is the new defence, you used to attack based upon having a strong defence.

two final points and I apologise for the length of the post.

The basics of batting haven’t changed in well over 100 years…keep out the good balls and hit the bad balls.

If I had gotten out like Cummins, Carey or even Kuhnemann whilst playing Sub District First XI I doubt I would ever have been selected again.
Great post .
A lot of people saw our batting issues a long way out so it isnt exactly a suprise unfortunately.
Issues from young juniors through club , rep and even through grade/premier cricket these days.

Some kids making rep sides now cannot go 6 balls without trying to hit a boundary , everything is bottom handed , closed or open faced , no patience or batsmanship.
And a lot lf the coaching encourages it .
Its a long way back from here

Back