Border Gavaskar Trophy, India v Australia, 3rd Test 1-5 March, 1430hrs at Indore

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pitches in recent years have certainly been a factor, fitter bowlers too. I’m not as convinced in the theory, not saying it doesn’t have any merit though.
Sorry im talking about coaching through the ranks rather than it being so much a pitch issue
Probably should have been more clear

For those who like facts, here are the batting averages of batters 8-11, sorted by decade.

For all tests -

View attachment 1622780

And for Australia only -

View attachment 1622781

Batting averages for tailenders this decade are certainly down, but for Australia, at least, they are higher than the 60s, 70s and 80s, and a touch lower than the 90s.

For what it's worth, the global batting average of tailenders since the IPL started in April 2008 is 15.79, compared to the all-time average of 15.25.

I’d be guessing averages for batsmen in general are down this decade

Yep .Coaching standard and philosphy miraculously changed . Simple basic technique out the window and has been for some time .
The art of building an innings is almost a dying art if not already.

If you’d given 2004 India v australia sides these pitches these matches wouldn’t of been going beyond the 3rd day then either.

As another user said this series is the worst example to build that argument on.

Not judging it on this series , have had this opinion for 10 years

Been plenty of big innings and scores in that time.

T20 may come into it a bit, but we were struggling to produce as many quality batsmen even before t20 really took hold.

On the other hand last 10-12 years probably more fast bowling talent and depth than we have ever had:

If you’d given 2004 India v australia sides these pitches these matches wouldn’t of been going beyond the 3rd day then either.

As another user said this series is the worst example to build that argument on.
I just said above and am not going to keep boring people with it, Im talking more a change in coaching standard/philosphy through the ranks over the years

Hes had a poor tour with the bat, but I’d wait to write him off just yet. He’s certainly not the only one to struggle.
Carey has some credits in the bank and has kept very well but it would not want his current batting form to continue for too long. You will not win a lot of tests if your tail starts at No 7

Sorry im talking about coaching through the ranks rather than it being so much a pitch issue
Probably should have been more clear
I understand, I just don’t buy into that as much as you do, I’m not totally discounting it, I just don’t think it’s as much as a factor as some do.

Carey has some credits in the bank and has kept very well but it would not want his current batting form to continue for too long. You will not win a lot of tests if your tail starts at No 7
Yup, I’d agree, but wouldn’t judge him too much on this tour alone. Having a good tail is very valuable, but while indias ability to rely on their tail has served them well, it also points to some issues with their batting. It’s great to have a strong tail, but you shouldn’t rely on it too much.

Agree with this, I don’t think you can read much into any performance in this series, nor any trends from it. You can have some small sample take outs - Murphy has been excellent, Kuhnemann has looked good, Warner is a spent force, Lyon is better than people want to admit, Jadeja and Ashwin are excellent bowlers and superstars in favourable conditions, Kohli is a spent force.

But general batting and bowling trends - nah, these pitches are an extreme outlier. And writing off a player just in this series, also nah.

Remember when you ventured out of the neighbourhood and batted on a foreign back yard deck back in the day? Mate of mine from over the way had an interesting pitch, black merry creek soil which would contract depending on weather, massive cracks, he made it 2 3rds the length of a legal pitch, no auto wkt, 3 slips/gully/leg slip, boundaries were short, around 9 mtrs, fun/fun pitch.

Agree with this, I don’t think you can read much into any performance in this series, nor any trends from it. You can have some small sample take outs - Murphy has been excellent, Kuhnemann has looked good, Warner is a spent force, Lyon is better than people want to admit, Jadeja and Ashwin are excellent bowlers and superstars in favourable conditions, Kohli is a spent force.

But general batting and bowling trends - nah, these pitches are an extreme outlier. And writing off a player just in this series, also nah.
Cheating is the only thing to comes to mind with these pitches, everyone has been baked, then baked again, then they pissed on them so they could bake them yet again, horrible place to place test cricket, funniest thing is their T20 pitches seem to hold up fine eh, funny that.

This test, they’re covering 2 pitches LMFAO, how low will they go? I’ve said before, I would refuse to play test matches against these cheats.

If I had it my way the pitches we prepare for them would have gum trees growing short of a good length.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back