Multiplat Borderlands 3

What character are you playing?

• Total voters
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
As someone who's never gamed on the PC, can you still go buy a game disc?

Sometimes. Many boxes just contain a key for either Steam or now Epic, and even if it does come with install discs it often requires an online connection to activate. You've probably noticed the PC game sections of retailers significantly diminish over the past 10 years as the platform has moved to almost exclusively digital.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
You can buy whatever you like, however as far as I'm aware you can't add it to Steam and get the upgrade as the original CDs didn't have copy protection or any online serial number checks.

I think this might vary from game to game/publisher to publisher. I got Skyrim as a physical copy when it released and added it to Steam after I installed it (it actually asked me to I think), similar for my Total War games and I think Max Payne and Spec Ops. They're still in my library to this day and I can download them from Steam whenever I want. However Witcher 2 my key wouldn't work and I had to contact CDPR with my physical key and they would reply with a Steam key. When I wanted to replay this it just happened to be on sale for about $15 so I just bought it again on Steam to save the hassle.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this might vary from game to game/publisher to publisher. I got Skyrim as a physical copy when it released and added it to Steam after I installed it (it actually asked me to I think), similar for my Total War games and I think Max Payne and Spec Ops. They're still in my library to this day and I can download them from Steam whenever I want. However Witcher 2 my key wouldn't work and I had to contact CDPR with my physical key and they would reply with a Steam key. When I wanted to replay this it just happened to be on sale for about $15 so I just bought it again on Steam to save the hassle.

Yeah, I was specifcally talking about Borderlands and the free upgrade. You were able to add Borderlands to Steam manually using a tool, but the function was disabled just prior to the announcement.
The new edition is set to be a free upgrade for PC users. There’s just one problem. Anyone who has a disc version of the game will be unable to claim the upgrade, unless they have already converted their copy to a digital version.

Previously owners of the physical version of Borderlands could access a Steam tool, known as the Borderlands Granting tool. It allowed players to convert their physical copy to a digital edition, which then appeared in their Steam library. This tool was removed from Steam on March 27. Then, on March 28, the announcement about the free upgrade was made.

I guess they're hoping everyone will fork out the $40 for a remastered 10 year old game.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, I was specifcally talking about Borderlands and the free upgrade. You were able to add Borderlands to Steam manually using a tool, but the function was disabled just prior to the announcement.

I guess they're hoping everyone will fork out the $40 for a remastered 10 year old game.

You were, my bad. Pretty stiff to remove the upgrade tool, but then again those interested enough in Borderlands 1 previously would have upgraded long ago.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You were, my bad. Pretty stiff to remove the upgrade tool, but then again those interested enough in Borderlands 1 previously would have upgraded long ago.

I can see why, with no DRM you could probably just download an ISO and add it as a "legit" copy of the game to Steam. I'm guessing they're counting on everyone not bothering to register their physical copies, which is why it's the only Borderlands title that's not on special on Steam right now.

Reckon I'll wait for the next Steam sale to grab it.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Customary recycled Bart comic meme

FB_IMG_1554368949911.jpg

Same pricing justification at $30? (not sure if its legit either way)

Seeing as the Handsome Collection was 15 odd bucks on PSN, cant complain about 45 for the whole lot.

Also been living under the rock for the past few decades and never played these in full, so looking forward to it.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have you used that store before? I stopped using keystores a while back when I found out the one I often used was apparently a bit dodgy.

Not that particular one, but I've heard it mentioned plenty of times. A quick look online says they're pretty reliable, and actually follow up on support tickets if something doesn't go smoothly. Use at your own risk I guess (like most of these sites), but this is a British mob and not your typical dodgy Chinese site so they should be legit.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Not that particular one, but I've heard it mentioned plenty of times. A quick look online says they're pretty reliable, and actually follow up on support tickets if something doesn't go smoothly. Use at your own risk I guess (like most of these sites), but this is a British mob and not your typical dodgy Chinese site so they should be legit.

Cheers, I'll have a look at it. It's not like it's a full priced game anyway so I don't mind just going Steam for peace of mind. I never had any issues personally with the key store I used to use, but over time I started noticing more and more complaints and I started reading some dodgy things. They were based in Singapore which was probably cause for alarm, but hey, they were cheap! haha

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm up to the Crimson part of BL1 again so nearly finished. I never did TVHM the first time around on this one way back so I might give that a go if I can squeeze it in. The remaster has been awesome, given the art style once the resolutions were sorted it looks the same as 2 and Pre-sequel. Agree on the atmosphere and gore, but I'm finding the zones a bit monotonous. It suits the original Mad Maxy sort of theme but I liked the variation of scenery in the following games.

Back