Remove this Banner Ad

Spitta09

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last two posters have north in the bottom 4. What a bunch of nuffies
a. when was the last time we bottomed out?
b. List is not as old as being made out :rolleyes:

Sufjan Stevens

Debutant
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Calm down, friend. The main issue for me is that in three years your three most important players in Harvey, Wells, and Petrie will be gone or near the end. I'm not convinced you have adequate replacements lined up. North's youth on the whole isn't terrible but it's not very impressive either. It's not with any confidence that I predict North to become bottom four and I did have trouble picking that fourth team but they seem a better fit than any of the teams that I excluded.

Spitta09

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Calm down, friend. The main issue for me is that in three years your three most important players in Harvey, Wells, and Petrie will be gone or near the end. I'm not convinced you have adequate replacements lined up. North's youth on the whole isn't terrible but it's not very impressive either. It's not with any confidence that I predict North to become bottom four and I did have trouble picking that fourth team but they seem a better fit than any of the teams that I excluded.
And in 3 years time turner will be filling harvey's spot (not saying he will be as good but still), brown taking over from petrie and mcdonald moving to the midfield all of which will be very good players. Ziebell, Cunnington, atley, greenwood, black, macmillan, wright, will all be in their prime. Thomas, thompson and swallow will all still be playing well. I can play that game too. If we are bottom 4 with these players i will go he. Just because we haven't been gifted top draft picks by the afl like gws and gold coast it doesn't mean we can't make good selections or develop youth.

Last edited:

Sufjan Stevens

Debutant
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
And in 3 years time turner will be filling harvey's spot (not saying he will be as good but still), brown taking over from petrie and mcdonald moving to the midfield all of which will be very good players. Ziebell, Cunnington, atley, greenwood, black, macmillan, wright, will all be in their prime. Thomas, thompson and swallow will all still be playing well. I can play that game too. If we are bottom 4 with these players i will go he. Just because we haven't been gifted top draft picks by the afl like gws and gold coast it doesn't mean we can't make good selections or develop youth.
You can't say at this stage that Turner and McDonald will become as good as Harvey and Wells. I don't anticipate they will. Brown could replace Petrie. Of those seven only Cunnington strikes me as a likely superstar. Ziebell and Atley could be. I'm fairly confident Black, Macmillan and Wright will never be very good players. It's not an amazing core. I don't think North are doomed. The other teams (apart from Carlton, Melbourne, and St Kilda) just look better prepared for the future for now.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Top 4:
Port Adelaide Power
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Gold Coast Suns
Sydney Swans

Bottom 4:
Carlton Blues
Melbourne Demons
Collingwood Magpies
??? Maybe us, would expect us to be in the 10-14 range by the end of '17... (push for finals in '18).

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Top 4:
Port Adelaide Power
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Gold Coast Suns
Sydney Swans

Bottom 4:
Carlton Blues
Melbourne Demons
Collingwood Magpies
??? Maybe us, would expect us to be in the 10-14 range by the end of '17... (push for finals in '18).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
1. Collingwood - Have a strong young core bragging: Sidebottom, Beams, Thomas and Pendlebury. This young group by this point in time will be reaching their prime years which to think about is quite scarey because they have the potential to become an almost Geelong like force. Except GC+WS will far surpass all others by 2014/2015 and dominate for the next 10 years.
2. North Melbourne - Have a strong young midfield comming through and I think they will be a force in a few years time. Brad Scott will prove to be an excellent coach and enforce a tough mindset into his players. With young midfielders including: L.Anthony, Ziebell, Wells, Swallow, Cunnington, Wright, Bastinac and with Majak Daw who could become anything I think they will become a very, very good side.
3. Gold Coast - With the sheer volume of young talent they will receive I think they will become a force much, much faster than many think. Don't write this one off, I see it happening.
4. Hawthorn - Hard to see them not being a strong team with Franklin, Roughead and Rioli who will continue to get better. By then perhaps they might have built up a ruck division and backline to be able to once again contend.
----
15. Essendon - More a speculative pick than anything but I just don't see where they are going to grow their list from. Their players are in the right age group to become a strong team in the future but I don't really rate their young talent as highly as that of other sides.
16. Brisbane - Travis Johnstone, Brown, Fevola, S.Black and Power will all likely have retired by this stage but personally I think some of their young players such as Harwood and Rich will develop enough to stop them from plunging below Sydney + Port Adelaide.
17. Sydney - Shaw, Bradshaw, J.Bolton, Kirk and maybe Goodes or O'Keefe will likely all have retired leaving the Swans with a skimpy little midfield after their veterains who have served them for so long have left them. Just don't look to have the young quality to be able to cover what will possibly be a reasonably large list turnover over the next few years.
18. Port Adelaide - With Cassisi, Carr, Motlop, Rodan, Treadrea, C.Cornes, Brogan all possible retirements it is hard to see them building a strong list without the early draft picks. I expect them to be down the bottom for a while.
WOW dominate for the next ten years? scary?.. if that's not over rating ones list, then i am not sure what is:)

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
No they dont
Yes they do.

Collingwood have set their future up beautifully. There'll be a little bit of pain in the short term, but they won't be down for long.

You were bottom 4 in 2009 and 2006.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
2016:
Top 4: (1)West Coast, (2)Bulldogs, (3)Hawthorn, (4)Fremantle
Bottom 4: (15) St Kilda (16) Carlton (17) Brisbane (18) Essendon

2017:
Top 4: (1) Bulldogs (2) GWS (3) West Coast (4) Gold Coast
Bottom 4: (15) Brisbane (16) Geelong (17) North Melbourne (18) Essendon